PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Planescape: Torment

Laddy
01-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Why haven't more people played this masterpiece? Why hasn't this game been mentioned as one of the single greatest accomplishments of the medium?

Let's talk about this gem of a game.

Pike
01-08-2013, 06:36 PM
>no replies so far

Madame Adequate
01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
What can change the nature of a man?

Bolivar
01-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Never really saw any reason to try it :confused:

Araciel
01-09-2013, 01:47 AM
Infinity Engine ftw

"I'm gone"

Laddy
01-09-2013, 03:40 AM
Never really saw any reason to try it :confused:I am saying this right now. Try it. This game is living proof of video games being art and any gamer wanting to be able to stand up and defend the medium as a true art form should be required to experience this.

It is one of my favorite games, a true masterpiece of fine art.

Bolivar
01-09-2013, 03:50 AM
I'm trolling, I do want to get to this eventually.

Laddy
01-09-2013, 03:52 AM
Endure, and in enduring grow strong.

Skyblade
01-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Eh, it's overrated. Planescape is a nice concept that really starts to break down upon analysis. It's a fun setting to use, but has so many flaws that it's hard to take seriously.

And c'mon, an RPG where you can't die? What sort of ridiculous idea is that?[/troll]

Ok, serious opinion. Haven't played Torment, but it's on my list. I do feel that Planescspe is a flawed setting, due mostly to the metaphysical nature and how it handles the various deities that inhabit it. But it's interesting, creative, incredibly deep, and tries to handle religion and morality well, so I can definitely work with it.

The concept of Torment intrigued me since I heard of it, but I haven't had the opportunity to play it yet. Too many other things in line first.

Fynn
01-09-2013, 07:13 AM
I don't get it either. It is an incredible game and the fact that so many people have never played it is just criminal! I feel it deserves an HD remake for the younger gamers to experience :) This game also has one of my favorite casts in WRPGs.

Laddy
01-09-2013, 08:01 AM
I don't get it either. It is an incredible game and the fact that so many people have never played it is just criminal! I feel it deserves an HD remake for the younger gamers to experience :) This game also has one of my favorite casts in WRPGs.
I like you. You are one of the good ones.

Super Christ
01-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Ok, serious opinion. Haven't played Torment, but it's on my list. I do feel that Planescspe is a flawed setting, due mostly to the metaphysical nature and how it handles the various deities that inhabit it. But it's interesting, creative, incredibly deep, and tries to handle religion and morality well, so I can definitely work with it.

The concept of Torment intrigued me since I heard of it, but I haven't had the opportunity to play it yet. Too many other things in line first.

Do keep in mind that the Planescape setting was more or less *the* dungeons and dragons setting through second and third editions. You didn't bump up against it unless you did a lot of planar travel, but any time the fluff needed a 'grand scale of the cosmos' explanation for something, they used planescape.

And on topic, this is easily my fourth favorite game ever, right behind the Chrono series. (Chrono Trigger in first, Radical Dreamers in second, Chrono Cross in third.)

Shoeberto
01-09-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm still having trouble chugging through it.

On the one hand, the story fascinates me. Absolutely.

On the other hand, I only play it every now and again, in small bursts. I've been tackling it like a novel. As a result, the clunky quest mechanics really get in the way of me enjoying the story. My quest log says "Find Pharrod" and gives very little else, and checking through my journal log only reveals small glints as to where I should go. Exploring the world often reveals unique characters but since I've left the mortuary I've had very little momentum aside from these small interactions that usually appear to have no implications on the plot.

Does it just start slow? I think I've been in the first city for like 2-3 hours and it's made it hard for me to feel compelled to re-launch the game. Especially since the last time I did I had to re-load a save after realizing I had missed something and the whole game crashed.

Fynn
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
It's not heavy on the action, I'll tell you that. But keep going. I promise you, it's worth it.

Shoeberto
01-09-2013, 04:05 PM
It's not heavy on the action, I'll tell you that. But keep going. I promise you, it's worth it.
I didn't really expect that, I just had hoped for more momentum. It's been a very stop-go-stop-go experience so far. Maybe I'm just less patient these days, but I used to play the older Fallout games in a similar way (more talky, less fighty) and never seemed to have too much issue with feeling like I was hitting a brick wall frequently.

Laddy
01-10-2013, 03:28 AM
I would argue that Torment should be viewed less as a RPG and more as an Adventure-Puzzler. I, for one, love the minimalist directions in regards to quests. It compels you to explore more and discover the gameworld.

As for Shoe's issues, stick with it. The game is slow but all the buildup and details serve a purpose.