PDA

View Full Version : The first theme of this game.

Spooniest
01-08-2013, 08:26 PM
When Tina's theme plays at the beginning of the game (the march toward Narshe), what I'm thinking about is that Tina is a slave. She's about to commit a war crime, through no fault of her own. She is an unwilling servant of the Empire.

That's the sadness inherent in the march toward Narshe.

What do you think about during the intro?

Wolf Kanno
01-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I really love Omen, I feel it sets the tone of the game very well, gone are the sweet or heroic themes in FFIV and V's openings. Instead an ominous organ played to a thunder storm followed by a dark theme accentuated by bells recounting the world's previous near total destruction and the revelation of a new force trying to re-awken the doomsday magic. The music cuts out, replaced with a whirly wind noise as you meet the three strangers in magic power mecha who speak of the one as a mysterious but dangerous force to be reckoned and then the game jumps into the slow march upon Narshe as Terra's theme plays with a heavy use of military drums, embodying her soft theme of hope with a sense of military control trying to suppress it.

Omen is just an awesome track that really set the stage for the whole game.

Skyblade
01-13-2013, 07:43 AM
I don't think about it. I just feel it. I sit, watch, eventually close my eyes, and just let the emotions pore over me. Terra's theme is so beautiful, and conjures such images and possesses such depth that, for me, it surpasses the game.

It's not just FFVI (though it fits brilliantly and is so incredibly written for that game). It summons memories from tragedies and triumphs from dozens of my past games. Fallen heroes and Pyrrhic victories, quiet loves to restful sleeps. This music calls up them all.

Heath
01-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Omen is an excellent track. I think it works rather well as an opening piece - it certainly sets the scene very well (as you summed up in the first post). I've always particularly liked the rather forboding bit in the middle that sounds like a bell chiming (about 1:12 onwards here in this video: 01-Omen-FFVI OST - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvqLZg3IQQ)). Always makes me think of that bit of Vector where you just catch a glimpse of Kefka. The second part which plays on the trek to Narshe is probably my favourite piece in the whole game. I really like Terra's theme, but I think this arrangement of it is my favourite. It's a great piece that really does stoke up enthusiasm for the game and tempt you in.

Spooniest
01-13-2013, 02:58 PM
It's a great piece that really does stoke up enthusiasm for the game and tempt you in.

It doesn't stoke me, so much as get me all misty-eyed. It's so sad! Upon replaying the game, you get what the piece is saying...

This is the end.

This game is about the end of the world, after all.

Skyblade
01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
It's a great piece that really does stoke up enthusiasm for the game and tempt you in.

It doesn't stoke me, so much as get me all misty-eyed. It's so sad! Upon replaying the game, you get what the piece is saying...

This is the end.

This game is about the end of the world, after all.

Not the end. Just a change. Life rolls ever on.

Omen definitely fits that "melancholy of the end of the world" vibe, though. The sadness of the impending doom. Memories of the City from Persona 3 is the only other video game song I really feel captures that mood.