PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls - Skyrim!

Night Fury
01-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Soooo, I am way way waaaay late to the Elder Scrolls party, but yesterday I bought Skyrim!

This is the first one I've played, and I have to say I like it! I only got about an hours play on it yesterday, so far I have got up to the part where you need to go see the guy in Whiterun, but I went off exploring instead!

So, in this game I'm a Wood Elf. I even 'elved' up my name... wait for it.... T'hria :lol:
I have a two-handed axe, which apparently is weird for an Elf, they're meant to have bows... well no, I want an axe so I can chop off peoples heads thanks.

Sooo, to discuss - what is your class in Skyrim and why did you choose that?
Any tips for the game? I've never played a game like this before!

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2013, 11:28 AM
I went for High Elf. My go to has always been the Breton, because they're pure usefulness with no downsides, but the Bretons is Skyrim kind of shit, while the disadvantages of the High Elves has been all but removed. I had to tweak the settings a bit to get rid of that weird alien appearance, but eventually I got him looking like a total badass. He's a bit gnarled, a bit tattooed, and a bit stubbly.

Oh wait, class. Sneak, a bit of magic, and some combat perks. Mostly sneak and magic. I maxed out Enchantment and Alchemy and got myself the best perks from both so I could take advantage of the enchanting system and make some uber-weapons for fun. I have an unlimited supply of Daedric Arrows thanks to maxing out Pickpocket, and I can also strip people to their skins without them noticing, which is always funny. :D

Tip: Destruction - Dual Casting - Impact. Absolutely brilliant, and incredibly useful when you need to make a bit of room.

Night Fury
01-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Oooh, I may not have meant class, race then?

I can't wait to get into it a bit more and have my Elf in some wicked cool threads.

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Are you on console or PC, by the way?

Are you gonna be a Light Armour type, or a Heavy? My advice for that is to make your opinion based off of appearance alone, as with enough perks they both end up weighing nothing and giving you about the same armour rating anyway. :D

NeoCracker
01-09-2013, 11:47 AM
The greatest thing I've ever done in Skyrim is make a heavy armor kitty and punch everything out. The first dragon I managed to kill in about 30 seconds by punching it. :p

Night Fury
01-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Are you gonna be a Light Armour type, or a Heavy? My advice for that is to make your opinion based off of appearance alone, as with enough perks they both end up weighing nothing and giving you about the same armour rating anyway. :D

PS3, and I dunno, so far I've only been able to pick up Light Armour! So probably that!

Værn
01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
The greatest thing I've ever done in Skyrim is make a heavy armor kitty and punch everything out. The first dragon I managed to kill in about 30 seconds by punching it. :p
I did the same thing. It's a shame the game lacks a proper hand-to-hand skill tree :(

Futan
01-09-2013, 01:05 PM
I have 3 characters. :x All of them are humans because I'm boring like that. XD One is a Nord thief using light armor and dual wielding, one's an Imperial knight using heavy armor and a two-handed sword and the last is a [insert whatever the 3rd human race is] mage. :x I'm trying to be completely evil with the Nord, and good w/ the Imperial. And just doing whatever w/ the mage. I need to pick it up again. Haven't played in a while.

Shoeberto
01-09-2013, 03:45 PM
I put like 60 hours into Skyrim and every time I have launched it since I just run around for 15 minutes, realize all my quests are boring, and exit. It really is the most shallow entry into the series, it's gorgeous but lacks any real substance. It makes me very sad.

escobert
01-09-2013, 04:22 PM
I always play a cattrout uhh I mean Khajiit. and yeah what Stu said. Fun game but the most shallow of the series.

PS3, and I dunno, so far I've only been able to pick up Light Armour! So probably that!

I've not heard many good things about the PS3 port of skyrim.

Aulayna
01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I was playing a goody goody character, she's a hybrid of a mage and a ranger but also has a fantastic dagger for sneaky stabbiness!

Despite playing the good girl she looks decidedly evil right now:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594703156227877323/E1A12E4CDA86F01762A644DF896757B175BDB7EB/

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2013, 05:29 PM
I put like 60 hours into Skyrim and every time I have launched it since I just run around for 15 minutes, realize all my quests are boring, and exit. It really is the most shallow entry into the series, it's gorgeous but lacks any real substance. It makes me very sad.

Indeed. I've only just started playing Morrowind, but I know I will end up playing it many times just so I can explore every nook and cranny of it. I've played Oblivion many times, too. Skyrim; didn't even finish it.

You look like a badass, Locky. Dragonscale Armor looks even cooler on the female model! Could cheer up a bit, though...

Araciel
01-09-2013, 05:29 PM
A nord with a skyforge steel sword and blades katana... I am a dragon hunter..cause y'know they're evil...but I'm becoming obsessed with stealing their souls because the rush is better than sex...so you might say my character is somewhat evil because he doesn't care about much other than his next dragon slaying.

NeoCracker
01-09-2013, 06:37 PM
I always play a cattrout uhh I mean Khajiit. and yeah what Stu said. Fun game but the most shallow of the series.

Runs just fine. It's just absurdly late in getting the DLC. :p

Pike
01-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Is no one in this thread seriously playing Dunmer master race?

Okay so. Skyrim is honestly better than I think people give it credit for. Sure you get to a point where you get tired of it but it's usually not until you've dumped more than your money's worth into the game.

And it's not as good as Morrowind, no, but is anything? No. That's a silly notion. So you can't really expect it to live up to those high standards.

Also, best thing to do in Skyrim: Fus-ro-dah people off of cliffs.

Madame Adequate
01-09-2013, 08:02 PM
In what way is Skyrim shallow? Especially compared to Oblivion?

Oh and my first character was a Dunmer mage. Now I've got a Khajiit marksman/light armor/swordsman. He murdered some black people for their stuff and now has twin scimitars :jess:

Aulayna
01-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Haven't you heard? It's cool to hate on new games these days.

My issue with Skyrim was the complete opposite - there was too much for me to do. The completionist in me had a seizure and I haven't touched it since.

NorthernChaosGod
01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Nord, Heavy Armor, one-handed, bow. Unless the DLC has raised the level cap, I'm at max level with like 9 perks still left to spend. I don't really need much else.

escobert
01-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Runs just fine. It's just absurdly late in getting the DLC. :p

I've heard it depends on your PS3 hardware. Some people have problems loading and the game crashing. Also I've heard the farther you get in the game the more problems you run into. This may have been fixed but I know it was a big issue with several of my friends.

My problem with Skyrim is the same as all the Elder Scolls games and FO3. I don't enjoy killing things in like 2 hits once I'm level 15. It's too easy to become over powered early on and just dominate everything. By the time I'm in the late 20's early 30's I have several houses no need to a horse and more money than I'll ever need.

Shoeberto
01-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Okay so. Skyrim is honestly better than I think people give it credit for. Sure you get to a point where you get tired of it but it's usually not until you've dumped more than your money's worth into the game.

To be fair, I did get my money's worth out of it (60 or so hours, so $1/hr, not bad). I take some issue with judging a game solely on monetary worth, though. No other medium really gets judged using that as a metric so I don't think it's fair to write off complaints just because I did put a lot of time into it.

The shallowness comes from the characters inhabiting the big, pretty world Bethesda made, and the quests you're tasked with. Everything is gorgeous in the game. I loved exploring the nooks and crannies and walking through the cities. But no quest or character grabbed me. I did a significant chunk of the main story and stopped after capturing the dragon and flying away because I realized I just didn't care. It felt like a grind to advance the quest marker without anything really interesting happening. I also had done a lot of random quests and finished up the Mage's Guild on this play-through and felt they were the same.

I rerolled a totally different character after that, hoping to get more out of it by taking a path I don't typically play. I stopped the main quest and got caught up in the civil war, went through the Fighter's Guild and Dark Brotherhood, and still... nothing compelling. More grind for checkboxes in my quest log.

I can't tell you exactly what it is that the game is missing for me, but Oblivion really did have it in comparison. I think Oblivion felt more like a living, breathing world with characters I enjoyed compared to Skyrim. I liked seeing their little schedules play out and the kind of mischief you could get involved in with them. There really weren't any characters in comparison that gave me that same level of engagement and satisfaction. It had the same emptiness that MMOs have for me; it stopped being fun as soon as I stopped caring about the little bars going up every time I handed in a quest.

Madame Adequate
01-09-2013, 08:52 PM
I think Oblivion felt more like a living, breathing world with characters I enjoyed compared to Skyrim.

You are literally a crazy person, Stu.

DownDiagonalLeftA
01-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Dark Elf has always been my race of choice since Morrowind. It originally started out back in the Morrowind days because I like Drizzt Do'Urden (I know, completely different kind of Dark Elves), but in Oblivion and Skyrim i've always picked Dark Elf kind of as a nod to Morrowind being so awesome. Nords were always my second choice, just because I kind of like the big, barbarian like people.

My Skyrim character is a Dunmer and a hybrid between a fighter and an assassin. He's good with light armor, dual wielding swords, a bow and arrow, and sneaking. For the first half of the game, I would sneak around and get the sneak attack with an arrow or a back attack to give me the advantage for when the fight became close quarters combat. Now its to the point where a sneak attack kills everything, lol. I rarely use magic. My character is generally "good", but hates the Empire.

Pike
01-09-2013, 09:00 PM
To be fair, I did get my money's worth out of it (60 or so hours, so $1/hr, not bad). I take some issue with judging a game solely on monetary worth, though. No other medium really gets judged using that as a metric so I don't think it's fair to write off complaints just because I did put a lot of time into it.

Well that isn't my main argument, not by a long shot, but I was too lazy to go into anything else at the moment. xD

My main arguments are usually against the following three points that people bring up:

a.) "It's too dumbed down", to which I reply that it's questionable (imo) because even some of Morrowind could be seen as "dumbed down" or easy, and most of the changes were of Quality of Life variety anyway;

b.) "The world isn't interesting", to which I reply, okay, I can understand how it's not interesting compared to Morrowind, but I have trouble seeing how it's less interesting than Oblivion which just feels like generic fantasyland/bad character design (to me);

and c.) "The quests don't grab me", which I actually don't have an argument for because that's a personal thing, I guess.

This is Elder Scrolls we're talking about here; you'll get the most out of it if you really, REALLY dig yourself into the lore and roleplay. You won't be happy if you're not into wandering around the map while trying to get into your character's mind. Speaking of which I'm going to post my character in a moment :)

Madame Adequate
01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Yeah you gotta be a nerdy sperg and run around pretending to be your character and being IN character and stuff.

Pike
01-09-2013, 09:42 PM

Tandryl Sarethi can trace his lineage back to Ald'ruhn and House Redoran. Not that he thinks about it much. He is typically more focused on the here and now; figuring out what things need to be done and how to go about doing them. His ancestors never did anything for him, after all, regardless of what the Temples said. Nor had the gods, who had all but forsaken the Dunmer. That was just fine with Tandryl; his people had survived on their own and would continue to do so.

He was born in Morrowind but as soon as he was old enough to work he went off to Cyrodiil on his own accord. A rather un-Redoran thing to do, to be sure, but he figured that he ought to go where the work was and Cyrodiil had lots of work, right? Unfortunately for him, he was never fond of the place-- "Damn the whole province to Oblivion", he later said about it when someone asked-- and all he could really locate was standard mercenary work anyway.

Eventually he decided to try his luck elsewhere and headed to Skyrim, which is where he found himself entangled with the wrong company and nearly beheaded until a dragon conveniently intervened. Eventually he wound up in Whiterun performing odd jobs for the Jarl while trying to reorient himself. He found the Nords to be a straightforward and refreshing people and considerably more tolerable than Imperials or his stuffy Altmeri distant cousins.

Things promptly took a turn for the interesting when Tandyrl turned out to be the Dragonborn, some sort of Nordic legend that he was unfamiliar with, and it remains a role that he feels somewhat awkward fulfilling because of that fact. He is well aware of the parallels of the role he now holds and that of a particular folk hero of his people. He very vividly recalls the stories his parents would tell of an untrusted outlander who came to Vvardenfell and eventually became a champion of a people he knew little about and a land that was not his own.

Young Tandryl asked his mother if heroes like that still existed. She said she didn't know. Tandryl told her that he thought they did. Age and cynicism later beat the idea out of him, but now he finds himself starting to believe again.

And so he remains in Skyrim, his duty-bound Redoran blood having kicked in with full force, and his heart wondering if, perhaps, Nerevar continues to guide him and his people after all.

Madame Adequate
01-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Nerevar guide you.

Aulayna
01-09-2013, 09:48 PM
What a dapper looking fellow.

Pike
01-09-2013, 09:48 PM
What a dapper looking fellow.

Isn't he though! :jess:

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Worth noting that I sunk well over 100 hours into the game and maxed out every skill before leaving it, haha.

Similar to what Stu said, I loved going into Skyrim and just running about, exploring the world and coming across the random stuff that existed solely for exploration's sake. It's when I realised that I'd been following the glowing marker for days in the hopes of something sucking me in and received only the faintest glimmer of immersion that I got a bit frustrated with it.

Also, the gameplay was considerably worse, despite the fact that the mechanics were so much better. They removed removed some of the most fun aspects of the series - playing with magic, trying to find the best/most interesting/most hilarious combination of things. I remember the first time I heard about the dual-wielding, I was so excited. I was making up left hand - right hand combinations in my head all over the place; weakness to Magicka with an enchanted weapon, drain Agility 100 pts and a lightning spell, a strong Calm spell with a massive damage health on touch spell so I could run around like some evil Jedi. The customisable nature of the Elder Scrolls games was nowhere to be found in Skyrim, and that's what made Oblivion "end-game" so much fun.

Don't get me wrong, Skyrim's a brilliant game. It's certainly better than Oblivion in every regard. Every regard except how fun it is to play. If I were to get it again - which I absolutely bloody will one day! - I'd get it for PC so that I could use mods to fill in the gaping holes Bethesda left and created. Also, because someone added a Shout called smurftonnes Of Trains.

EDIT: Skyrim was the first game, I think, that I properly roleplayed in. Rather than just calling my character Arthur/Quin, I actually searched around for typical Altmer names, the system of naming and the Altmer language before creating my character, and I always considered his backstory when playing. It was awesome. I later did it with a Khajiit, moving onto giving him a full name - :eek:! Now my Morrowind guy is fully fleshed out because of the practice I got with Skyrim. :up:

escobert
01-09-2013, 11:20 PM
I've put over 140 hours into Skyrim, completed all the side guilds and whatnot. And I say without a doubt I would play Oblivion over Skyrim any day. Like Stu, I felt more involved in the world and closer to the people there. There are a few little things I like better about skyrim than oblivion besides the graphics. But, I prefer oblivions interface and map much more.

Also HATE casting magic in Skyrim even though if you get into the magics you can just one shot kill about everything.

Madame Adequate
01-10-2013, 12:41 AM
"I played 60/100/140 hours of Skyrim! What an unengrossing and unimmersive game!"

:eyebrow:

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Relative to the older ones by the same company, you berk.

Bolivar
01-10-2013, 04:27 AM
Damn you guys should've started an Oblivion thread instead and just made out with eachother.

edit: wtf is up with the lame ass horned helmet everyone's ALWAYS wearing in screenshots. Until I started seeing a few more characters I really thought this game had little customization at all.

Flaming Ice
01-10-2013, 04:42 AM
I went for High Elf. My go to has always been the Breton, because they're pure usefulness with no downsides, .

I use Bretons too...I like summoning but they sort of ruined it now =/

Madame Adequate
01-10-2013, 06:51 AM

Just sayin'. Don't hate. :shobon:

DownDiagonalLeftA
01-10-2013, 07:01 AM
edit: wtf is up with the lame ass horned helmet everyone's ALWAYS wearing in screenshots. Until I started seeing a few more characters I really thought this game had little customization at all.

http://i48.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/zlx75h.jpg

I prefer wearing Krosis, not only because it looks cooler, but the 20% bow damage is worth more to me than any enchants on those horned helms. Unless of course, I'm strolling around town. Then I like to flaunt the Emperor's robes and make the Nords kiss my Dunmer ebony ass.

http://i45.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/1zyvmt2.jpg

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2013, 09:38 AM
I went for High Elf. My go to has always been the Breton, because they're pure usefulness with no downsides, .

I use Bretons too...I like summoning but they sort of ruined it now =/

Ruined it how? The Conjuration perk tree is actually amazing. You can build up an entire army! A permanent one (until they die)! My personal favourite was the Dead Thrall, which allowed you to reanimate the same corpse over and over again, as it wouldn't crumble into dust when it died (again). It's fine in battle, I guess, but the real reason I liked it is because dead people have infinite carry capacity! :D I pretty much always had the Emperor following me, except when I left him in my house for safe keeping. Once I maxed out my Pickpocketing, I replaced a live enemies armour with more Emperor's Clothes (or whatever those clothes were that looked exactly the same) whilst wearing my own, so I'd be walking around with three other people all dressed like pimps. Great craic. I actually ended up replacing my 100% reduce Destruction cost armour with a mix of reduced Conjuration and Illusion, because I found them so much more useful and interesting in combat than the completely not worth it Master Destruction spells!

I meant "you berk :p" rather than "you berk :mad2:", and now I feel guilty. :(

Yar
01-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Just like Lockhearted, Skyrim was my first Elder Scrolls game.

Last year after it was launched, I saw my best friend playing it on his XBox. I immediately knew I had to play it myself! :D

Before actually jumping into the game, I created a character (I think it was a wood elf) and just ran around learning how the game works. Things like quests, leveling, etc. This character wasn't focused in one set of skills, since I was learning how everything works. After playing with him for about ten hours or so, I made my first real character. I forget what race he was, but it was some sort of conjurer/ninja mix.

I forget just how long I played with this character, and I dont have my copy with me at the moment. :( But my dad has been playing it while I am gone and he is liking the game too. :D

In the meantime, I bought Oblivion recently and started playing it for the first time. Coming from Skyrim, I was turned off at first. Some things just felt unnecessarily clunky and other things were just really difficult to understand, like leveling. But as I've played it more and more, (I think I'm at 26 hours now at level 18) I'm starting to love Oblivion.

Skyrim may seem "shallow" compared to Oblivion, but it is much more streamlined and some things just make more sense. I can see why some people are turned off by things in Skyrim, but Skyrim was my first entry and I don't think I will ever dislike it.

Before I tried Oblivion, I tried Morrowind. After giving it a shot for a few hours, I just had to stop. It was hard to understand and even irritating at times. So I'm hoping that after I am "done" with Oblivion I can give it another shot.

Night Fury
01-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I feel terrible.

I'm not enjoying Skyrim as much as I thought I would yet. Maybe it's because I haven't really started the storyline, and I've kind of just been exploring but I'm finding it all a bit... 'meh'

Yar
01-10-2013, 09:59 AM
How far are you? What level are you?

I found it kind of boring at first, but once the treasure I was finding started becoming useful and interesting, I started to really get sucked in.

Night Fury
01-10-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm level 2, and I've just been to see the Jarl of Whiterun and taken on the quests from his little Wizard dude.
I'm finding it very slow at the moment, but I've discovered a lot of places on the map and raided them all for every piece of bread and cheese I could find:love:

I haven't clocked much time on it really, I also happened to buy Mass Effect 2 the same day which I have played A LOT more. (I love it)

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Bwuh? But you only just started! The boredom shouldn't be settling in yet. Give it another hundred hours. ;)

I had the same initial Morrowind experience as you, Yar. I have owned the Xbox copy for years now, but have never spent more than 5 hours at most in Morrowind (total playing time). Now that I'm playing it again, though on the PC, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Time heals all wounds, and being lead by the nose for too long eventually builds a yearning for games like Morrowind. :D

Night Fury
01-10-2013, 10:12 AM
I can only stick to it for about an hour at a time, but I'm sure once I get more into the story, and develop my character a little more it'll be better :D

Pike
01-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Unless of course, I'm strolling around town. Then I like to flaunt the Emperor's robes and make the Nords kiss my Dunmer ebony ass.

YES I approve.

Damn you guys should've started an Oblivion thread instead and just made out with eachother.

Screw that, I'm making a Morrowind thread.

Laddy
01-10-2013, 02:22 PM
WHAT!? A disagreement of PC RPG's? However can we agree on which is best!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Wait! I know...

http://www.gamereactor.de/media/92/baldursgate2_229227.jpg

"Whaaaaat? What is the glorious game!?"
"Well, it is a great one."
"But how do I play it?"
"Silly fool. You don't play it, you experience it! So stop arguong over Elder Scrolls games and play this."
"Okay!"

Am I late? Wh...what are we talking about?

I...I'm lonely inside. :(

Shoeberto
01-10-2013, 02:55 PM

No hate, just giving my opinion. If anyone else loves the game, then feel free to love it on the merits as you see them. I just found myself very disenchanted by the experience relatively quickly compared to the other games in the series.

DK
01-10-2013, 06:26 PM
I played skyrim with the sole intention of making my character into Robert Baratheon from A Song of Ice and Fire, and waltzing around crippling everything and everyone with a giant warhammer. It was great fun and I enjoyed it. I think my favourite moment was having a drunken King Robert take exception to something someone in Riverwood said and promptly slaughtering the entire village in a drunken rage, culminating in Gerdur being the last villager alive and promptly having her head blown off with one mighty blow of the hammer. Then he propped their corpses up on the battlements as a warning to all of the dangers of drinking and the dangers of insulting the true King.

Yes I am an awful man. :shobon:

Bolivar
01-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Sounds more like a mix between Robert and Joffre, but ok, carry on... :Oo:

Madonna
01-10-2013, 07:59 PM
I went with a Breton because, hey, who does not like magic resistance, and made her a two-handed war hammer-wielding, heavy armored sneak-thief.

http://oi47.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/13ynhnt.jpg
Pictured sideways as to emphasize her Daedric Warhammer of fire-burnining death. It is a one-shot kill deal, and I do not really need to sneak up on a bloke to add backstab damage, but doing so really hammers the point home.

http://oi46.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/rcobrn.jpg
Forsworn an easy death, am I right?

http://oi47.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/1z2ov2q.jpg
Necromancers: great settlers of cold caves and beheadings.

http://oi45.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/dz9mp4.jpg
...Got a Thu'um called Swing Hammer? Take that, deathlord.

http://oi48.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/i2r5t4.jpg
But seriously, smurf necromancers.

http://oi48.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2rwp2pv.jpg
Traditional Dragonborn greeting to a dragon.

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2013, 09:26 PM
That armour is snazzy as hell.

DownDiagonalLeftA
01-10-2013, 09:39 PM
I haven't bought a single piece of DLC yet in case they ended up making a GOTY edition like they did with Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout. They need to hurry up and announce this!

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Haha, "in case". Of course they're going to! They just have to release the last one (I hear it's called Redguard), then it's a straight road to the GOTY! :D

Laddy
01-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Not released, trademarked.

God Quin, learn some business law. :colbert:

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2013, 10:23 PM
NO.

Psychotic
01-10-2013, 10:24 PM
"I played 60/100/140 hours of Skyrim! What an unengrossing and unimmersive game!"

:eyebrow:Yep. Only played Skyrim and Oblivion and they both ruled. Yes there are areas in which they can improve but there's also countless things that they do really well which seem to be glossed over. Don't give a smurf if anyone disagrees because if they do, they're wrong. This is not subjective, this is objective.

Madame Adequate
01-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Now I KNOW you are trolling Pauw, because you don't have brain damage, so you don't think Oblivion is any good. QED.

Psychotic
01-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Remember the spoon thief LJ entries that introduced you to the world of me?

Any game where I can murder a town, leaving only spoons and force the Duke and Duchess's corpses to parade down the street in their underpants is not a bad game. I'm not saying it's EXCEPTIONAL and BRILLIANT and OH MY GOD but it's not worthless either.

Pike
01-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Also re: the question about why the horned helmet:

It's so I can see my handsome Dunmer face :love:

Elpizo
01-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Skyrim was my first Elder Scrolls game, too, and I really enjoyed it. More than 216 hours so far and still so much left to do. I always play as a Nord because the other races are fugly. :) And the 50% ice resistance in a land of snow and ice helps, too. I think it's a gorgeous, beautiful world and I love every single moment I spend in it. Sometimes I say "smurf you, quests" and just climb a mountain to watch the scenery. The Rift is probably my favourite hold, it's just gorgeous and so alive.

Is the game perfect? Of course not, it's really easy and there's no endgame challenge once you have Deadric Armour, Dragonbone weapons and 100-skill enchantment. There is a disturbing lack of variety: do one Nordic ruin and you've done them all, barely any enemies in vanilla. Draugr, Bears, Sabrecats, Wolves, Spiders, Falmer, Vampires, Chaurus, Bandits, Dragons and Automatons. That's it. Given the amount of enemies in, for example, a FF game, that's really just sad. The amount of bugs this game still has is absolutely killer as well. It helps thanks to the unofficial skyrim patch-mod, but even so. Having the game just out of the blue crash to my desktop is rage-quit-inducing as well. I don't get why the children you adopt have to live in the same house, what's up with that? Why can you only take two, anyway? What do I do with all the money I make? I have over 600.000 gold with nothing to spend it on.

But despite the above, it's still a fantastic game, because all (well, most at least) of those flaws can be dealt with thanks to the great modding community. Too easy? There's a mod for it. Don't like the perks? There's a mod for it. Want better graphics? There's a mod for it. Want tougher dragons? There's a mod for it, and so on.

Dragons are pansies, but thanks to a Dragon mod I recently installed it's a thrill again to battle them, even at lv 51. I remember a new black dragon, tons of hp, capable of summoning Draugr Deathlords, Dragonpriests and Whispmothers, but better yet, with a shout it summoned a storm. The sky turned black and it started to rain, while lightning rained down from the sky and struck you or your allies. Combined with the epic music, it was a fantastic battle as my character, Aela, Lydia and Jordis hacked and fired away at the beast, bringing immense satisfaction once he finally fell down. There was a similar experience where, after we defeated the dragon, it fell down the mountain. It reminded me so much of Gandalf striking down the Balrog on the mountain in the LOTR movies, a really memorable moment in the game.

There's just so much fun stuff to do. I love the companions and Aela especially, which, thanks to an immersive mod, have become even better and require more work to complete. I enjoy rebuilding the Thieves' Guild or the family-atmosphere of the Dark Brotherhood. Hunting for Dragons with my Housecarls and shield-sister is a fun adventure. Helping citizens with their troubles or making deals with the Daedric princes is alwasy very satisfying. I remember the Namira (I think?) quest, with the cannibals? I didn't like it, but, well, I wanted the Oblivion Walker achievement, so I joined the ritual. Only to later sacrifice the follower you gain from that quest to Boetiah to sooth my gnawing guilt, and just murdering the rest of that cult in cold blood. Fun times were had. :) Oh, and there was that really fantastic battle I had up high in the mountains to the south of the Throat of the World, at the edge of the map (forgot how it's called). Me and Aela up against an army of Fus-Ro-Dah'ing deathlords on a mountainside. Man that was tough, but so satisfying once I kicked their butts.

And the person who mentioned Fus Ro Dah'ing people over the edge of a cliff? I know the feeling bro, it never fails to be amusing. :D

So yeah, I really have a lot of fun with Skyrim and I haven't even done everything yet. Still have to do Dawnguard and waiting patiently for Dragonborn. Until then, I find myself enjoying this particular mod "Sexy maids of Skyrim". It's surprisingly immersive and extremely well-made, it's about as fantastic as mods can get.

I've gotten my hands on a GOTY edition of Oblivion, but I find it much harder to get into. It's just so stiff and clunky compared to Skyrim, it's hard to enjoy it. But I kind of want to get into it, because I'm really interested in playing all the stuff with Sheogorath. I have heard a lot of good about Morrowind, but if it's even clunkier than Oblivion I doubt I'd get much enjoyment out of it. It's not the graphics, mind you, but the gameplay experience itself. I just miss the streamlined, well-oiled feel of Skyrim. Everything in Oblivion seems so overly complicated, as if the game wants to remind me why I avoided WRPGs for so long. I hate allocating individual points to individual stats. People may enjoy class-building, but I hate it because I just can't choose. I always want to spread things evenly, which, in these kind of games, never gives the best builds for characters. I prefer Skyrim, just health, magica and stamina, while stats take care of themselves as they do in other RPGs. That's how I like it.

Pike
01-12-2013, 01:24 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/2baf40acffc2fdfc49446c6a47f8498a/tumblr_mgebltUIKJ1s1xfhvo1_500.jpg

Quindiana Jones
01-12-2013, 02:13 AM
Could we get more Elder Scrolls puns, please? I would like more Elder Scrolls puns.

Futan
01-12-2013, 02:17 AM

EDIT: Just realized this was a Skyrim only thread. :x But it is an Elder Scrolls pun! :shifty:

Pike
01-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Could we get more Elder Scrolls puns, please? I would like more Elder Scrolls puns.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5426081280/hDBA36285/

Aulayna
01-12-2013, 04:07 PM
My Redguard carpenter has a hard time finding his tools, especially the one time his Hammerfell.

chionos
01-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Who's the greatest Swedish tennis-playing monster?
Dragonbjorn

What's the best row to sit in to watch an Elder Scrolls movie?
First row, duh

Pike
01-13-2013, 01:56 AM

SteahMeLee
09-11-2013, 09:14 AM
I love Bethesda games be them Elder Scrolls or Fallout... I also like the other games similar to these, the WRPGs... They are the other side of the coin of JRPGs...

They give you personalized character... But with less characterization...
They give you freedom of movement... But with dispersive feeling...
They give you free story paths... But they are told with less emphasis...
They give you many build options... But they are less spectacular...
They give you the feeling of being yourself into the game... But you feel alone...

This is the opposite but I appreciate the style, it gives you the feeling of being yourself into the game world...

You may be asking how I handle my class obsession in these games that give you a single character run, without the party...
Of course you can assign the character the class you like but in this case I go for:

MONK

I always make an unarmed build! I love the badass normal characters wandering around and fighting everything hand to hand with martial arts, it gives me the real fun!

It's not always easy to make such characters, not every time the unarmed style has its skills and perks!

In Skyrim you can equip heavy gauntlets and fight with the Fist of Steel perk and the Unarmed Damage enchantment!

I the Fallout series the unarmed line is luckily covered!
In Oblivion also...

Bolivar
09-11-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm playing the game for the first time as a mage (conjuration and destruction) and so far it "gives me the real fun." I was skeptical as to how well these games could handle pure magic users after Oblivion and Morrowind, but my character's really been a lot of fun to play. I devoured the entire Mage's College quest line before even doing much of the main story :D

SteahMeLee
09-11-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm playing the game for the first time as a mage (conjuration and destruction) and so far it "gives me the real fun." I was skeptical as to how well these games could handle pure magic users after Oblivion and Morrowind, but my character's really been a lot of fun to play. I devoured the entire Mage's College quest line before even doing much of the main story :D

Of course the pure magic user works well and it works well in Oblivion too! :D Mages are one of the most traditional and tested classes along with Fighter and Rogue archetypes!

It's a class like the Monk that could be a little harder to play, not the Mage that usually rocks! XD

Quindiana Jones
09-12-2013, 04:06 AM
Dead Thrall Spell. Twin Souls Perk. Staff of Conjure [x] Atronach on each Thrall.

Party time.