PDA

View Full Version : Goosebumps

Aulayna
01-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Staple reading for any kid in the 90s - I absolutely loved these books. Particularly the Monster Blood series but it got smurfing ridiculous toward the end.

The TV series was also generally a fairly respectable adaptation too!

So any R.L. Stine fans here? What was your favourite book?

Jinx
01-09-2013, 09:47 PM
It Came From Beneath the Sink was the first one I ever read, and therefore the one I remember most.

Those Night of the Living Dummy ones were ;-;

theundeadhero
01-09-2013, 10:02 PM
I read like the first 100 through elementary school. I think my first was "Say Cheese and Die".

MJN SEIFER
01-09-2013, 11:04 PM
I should really look into reading the classic Goosebumps books. I do however own every Give Yourself Goosebumps books, and have even reviewed some online.

Mercen-X
01-09-2013, 11:09 PM
[My First Four] The Blob That Ate Everything, The Haunted Mask Part 2, The Attack of the Mutant, Abominable Snowman from Pasadena. I also liked Cuckoo Clock of Doom. Choose the path books: Night in Werewolf Woods, The Knight in Screaming Armor, Trapped in Batwing Hall.

Before that, a teacher in school read our class Camp Jellyjam and Deadly Experiments of Dr. Eeek.

Shlup
01-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Goosebumps are what turned me into a life-long reader. My mom got me #1 when it was new, and I read all the way up to #48 before I outgrew them.

A couple of years ago I found some of the VHS tapes at a thrift store, and I'd show them to my students sometimes.

krissy
01-09-2013, 11:15 PM
the one where the kid learned how to fly
also liked the choose your own adventure ones

escobert
01-09-2013, 11:24 PM
My mom let one of her friends kids borrow my goosbump books. Never saw them again :(

Scotty_ffgamer
01-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Goosebumps and Animorphs were my books of choice as a kid. I remember reading a lot of them, but I cannot for the life of me remember the titles of the Goosebumps books.

One of my friends who works at a library ended up acquiring several Goosebumps books on tape last year. We would listen to them in the car every once and a while, and that was pretty amusing at times. The voices make them great. The only title I can really remember is Shocker on Shock Street.

Slothy
01-10-2013, 04:01 AM
Goosebumps are what turned me into a life-long reader. My mom got me #1 when it was new, and I read all the way up to #48 before I outgrew them.

Same with me more or less, though looking at the covers right now I believe I stopped getting each new one with #47, but still got #51 when it came out. I think the first one, Welcome to Dead House was always my favourite. I don't know if it was just because I was getting older later on, but I remember it scaring me the most. Then again, by the time I stopped reading them I'd been watching horror movies for a year or two.

I honestly didn't read much before I got into Goosebumps. Not fiction anyway (I was more into books about space and dinosaurs). But once my mom gave me the first two books and I was hooked. I believe I read both of them in a few hours and demanded more.

Agent Proto
01-10-2013, 04:32 AM
I used to collect the books when I was growing up. I had to stop because my family stopped buying the books. :( They were pretty good to read. I do, however, have a book I didn't like, and that was the one about eating worms. xD That was really disgusting and I almost threw up in my mouth at one point.

Flaming Ice
01-10-2013, 04:34 AM
I have a few books...used to watch the show, along with "are you afraid of the dark"after watching an episode of it I had a dream I was a vampire (that sort of stuff started creeping me out after my brother watched all those stupid ghost shows...) I liked the one that has some pink amphibian creature on it, and doctor eek. The show with pumpkin aliens was pretty strange though. Not sure which one it was from but I keep remembering the ghosts going down the stairs "we're coming for you" -.-

Shorty
01-10-2013, 05:47 AM

Same with me more or less, though looking at the covers right now I believe I stopped getting each new one with #47, but still got #51 when it came out. I think the first one, Welcome to Dead House was always my favourite. I don't know if it was just because I was getting older later on, but I remember it scaring me the most. Then again, by the time I stopped reading them I'd been watching horror movies for a year or two.

I honestly didn't read much before I got into Goosebumps. Not fiction anyway (I was more into books about space and dinosaurs). But once my mom gave me the first two books and I was hooked. I believe I read both of them in a few hours and demanded more.

Me as well! I think I received a couple for my birthday one year from my dad. My mom wasn't happy about me reading "all that horror stuff" so they stopped buying them for me and I was instead forced to dig through thrift store bookshelves and got them at 4/$1.00 whenever I could.

I have a bunch of them on my shelf right now :love: Need to complete the collection so I can give them to my children if and when I have any.

also, Fear Street. Those families were nuuuts.

MJN SEIFER
01-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Choose the path books: Night in Werewolf Woods, The Knight in Screaming Armor, Trapped in Batwing Hall.

Before that, a teacher in school read our class Camp Jellyjam and Deadly Experiments of Dr. Eeek. Do you remember anything about them? I would like to know if you found Night in Werewold Woods and The Knight in Screaming Armor looked ghostwritten to you? Also, did the choices seem like they shouldn't be choices at times? I covered this on the blog obviously.

Slothy
01-10-2013, 02:00 PM
My mom wasn't happy about me reading "all that horror stuff"

Exact opposite for me. Not only did my mom buy me the books, but she was also the one who was pushing for me to see the likes of Terminator, T2, Halloween, and other R rated action and horror movies starting when I was 8 or 9 or so. Apparently she'd also watch horror movies with me in the room when I was an infant up until I developed the ability to say I liked them (at which point my horror movie watching days ended abruptly for a while).

Suffice it to say my mom was pretty cool about letting me watch and read things that were totally awesome and not the least bit age appropriate and bought me my first two Goosebumps books and never hesitated to buy me more.

Strangely though, she had an issue with me wanting to play Mortal Kombat for a year or two after the first one came out. :gator:

Shauna
01-10-2013, 07:12 PM
I never had many of the books, but I would happily buy them all *right now* because that's the kind of girl I am. xD They would all be pretty lame reads now, probably, but it is a slice of my childhood.

I also saw the first season of the Goosebumps TV show the other day. So tempted. xD

Araciel
01-10-2013, 07:12 PM
I don't remember any specific stories but I read a few.

I think one was about a plant monster in the basement?!

MJN SEIFER
01-10-2013, 11:35 PM
I don't remember any specific stories but I read a few.

I think one was about a plant monster in the basement?! I think that's Stay Out of the Basement

TrollHunter
01-10-2013, 11:52 PM
I remember reading quite a few of those.
My goosebumps phase only lasted a few months, but it was a pretty good few months.
The tv show was....yeah, it was interesting.

theundeadhero
01-11-2013, 04:08 AM
Meh, watching bad child actors has never been very entertaining for me.

blackmage_nuke
01-11-2013, 05:17 AM
I only read the choose your own adventure ones because I thought reading was for nerds. Liked the tv series though.

Mercen-X
01-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Choose the path books: Night in Werewolf Woods, The Knight in Screaming Armor, Trapped in Batwing Hall.

Before that, a teacher in school read our class Horror at Camp Jellyjam and Deadly Experiments of Dr. Eeek. Do you remember anything about them? I would like to know if you found Night in Werewold Woods and The Knight in Screaming Armor looked ghostwritten to you? Also, did the choices seem like they shouldn't be choices at times? I covered this on the blog obviously.

Frankly, I was believed R.L. Stine was a fictitious author (that is, when I started paying attention to who was writing what).

Psychotic
01-11-2013, 06:20 PM
The Ghost Next Door for beating M Night to the "No, it is you who was the ghost all along!" twist.

Mercen-X
01-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I liked that one too.

theundeadhero
01-12-2013, 04:08 PM
I read his new book Red Rain. Everything made it appear like it would be intensely terrifying written by a master of fear. It was horrible, basically a Goosebumps book with a little added sex, gore, and language.