PDA

View Full Version : Recharging

Raistlin
01-11-2013, 01:49 AM
I've had to get up before 6:30 AM the past couple of days, and will have to do so again most of next week. I wasn't able to get to bed before 1 AM either night (one night close to 2), and after two days of that I am worn out. Several years ago, I used to be able to last a few days with only a few hours of sleep each, but now I'm tired after not getting enough sleep on any one night. After two days of that I start to lose function towards the end of the day.

How much sleep do you need on any given night to be able to feel like a human being the next day?

fire_of_avalon
01-11-2013, 01:56 AM
A minimum of five, and I am a bitch for the first few hours after I get up on those nights. If I get less than five I wake up nicer and happier, but I wear out really easily.

Seven hours is best.

Jinx
01-11-2013, 01:58 AM

Sephex
01-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Less than 4 is iffy, but if I am constantly stimulated while on stimulants, my brain can simulate that I had a decent nights rest.

I usually average 5 hours a night, maybe a little more, so I have practice in less sleep.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-11-2013, 02:05 AM
Last semester I functioned on roughly 2 hours of sleep every night (except for weekends), and I would also have to pull at least one all nighter every week. I managed to somehow function every day, but the moment the semester ended, I got sick and no longer felt like a human being, as it were. I can function pretty well at about 4 hours of sleep if I have to. If I have nothing to wake up for though, I tend to sleep about ten hours.

Aulayna
01-11-2013, 03:02 AM
4-5 to function. Preferrably 9-10 to feel refreshed.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-11-2013, 03:03 AM
10 hours is my default. I can work with less but I am a bitch to wake up.

Shorty
01-11-2013, 03:31 AM
I'd say 7-9 to feel like a human being. Any less and I won't be comfortable - 4 is my absolute minimum under dire circumstances.

DownDiagonalLeftA
01-11-2013, 04:23 AM
I like to get 8 a night. This rarely happens. I usually get around 4.

I can function fine during the day with anything above 2 hours, but it has 2 drawbacks. The first being, on evenings when I'm home (days off from work, etc) I ALWAYS fall asleep around 6pm for about 1-3 hours. I hate it. It's a battle I always lose. The other drawback is on the weekend when I don't have school and finally have a chance to sleep in, i'll sleep for like 12-13 hours straight.

theundeadhero
01-11-2013, 04:43 AM
I generally get around five but I can function on a couple of hours every night after years of practice.

Shlup
01-11-2013, 04:50 AM
I currently have a parasite sucking the life out of me, so if I don't get 10 hours of sleep I am absolutely dead. Last night I got nine hours and then today I took a three hour nap.

I normally consider myself functional with at least four hours, as long as it's only for one night. I can do six normally, but more sleep is always better. I both love and hate sleep.

Futan
01-11-2013, 05:33 AM
I usually get 6-7 hours. I know I can work off 2-3 hours but the morning's painful. I prefer 7-8 on weekdays or 12 on weekends. >___>

Wolf Kanno
01-11-2013, 05:38 AM
I need between 6-8 to feel pretty good, but I can function pretty well with about 4-5 as I've learned lately. Oddly enough, sleeping more than 8 hours, when I haven't worked my body into exhaustion, seriously screws me up and I function in a complete dream like daze for the rest of the day until I sleep again.

chionos
01-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Less than five I feel irradiated, like my body's cells are vibrating like a million plucked strings that won't stop.

Like WK, anything over 7-8 makes me feel antsy, off somehow, and I think the feeling's worse than getting no sleep at all. The 1-3 hour range is the worst. If I know I'm only going to be getting that much sleep, I usually just don't sleep at all.

Laddy
01-11-2013, 08:30 AM
I fucking love sleep. Seriously, sleep and EoFF on constant rotation would be my perfect day.

Anyway, I can generally function with 5 hours, though I'm a bit delirious for most of the day. If I get too much sleep, I'll get up all night and communicate with misanthropes on the internet. :p

Pike
01-11-2013, 10:16 AM
7-8. Six and below I stop functioning.

I think I am one of the few people in the world who gets a full 7-8 hour sleep every night and has for years. Sleep is really important to me. xD

Shoeberto
01-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Lately with my health problems I could just sleep all the time. Used to be that 7-8 hours with a nap in the day was the sweet spot. I'm just kinda getting used to being a zombie all the time now.

Quindiana Jones
01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
48 or more.

Faris
01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
I can auto pilot on only 1hr of sleep with very little functionality, 4-6 to have some brain function, 8-9 to fully refresh. I don't think I sleep properly because there are very few times in my life where I can say "I feel fully rested". One of these days I'll get a sleep monitor thingy but they're damn expensive.

Araciel
01-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Now I'm back to lifting weights and not doing cocaine, 8-9.

Raistlin
01-12-2013, 06:43 AM
I finally got about 7 hours of sleep last night, which was enough rest for me to get through a busy day and even go out tonight. But I need more this weekend to make up for all the missed sleep earlier in the week.

The Man
01-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Lately if I don't get at least eight hours of sleep in a twenty-four hour period I will be completely dysfunctional the next day. They don't have to be all consecutive, but it helps.

Despite this I am notorious for staying up way too late most nights, because I have very little sense when it comes to sleep.

I don't think I sleep properly because there are very few times in my life where I can say "I feel fully rested".Also, this.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-12-2013, 06:50 AM
I can auto pilot on only 1hr of sleep with very little functionality, 4-6 to have some brain function, 8-9 to fully refresh. I don't think I sleep properly because there are very few times in my life where I can say "I feel fully rested". One of these days I'll get a sleep monitor thingy but they're damn expensive.

We've crashed and burn far too many times hanging out. :p

~*~Celes~*~
01-13-2013, 12:08 AM
4-5 to function. Preferrably 9-10 to feel refreshed.

escobert
01-13-2013, 12:41 AM
I usually sleep about 5 hours a night. Bed at 11 up at 4 am to be at work by 5.

Pike
01-13-2013, 01:46 AM
I have no idea how you guys can do it. I go to bed at 7pm every night so I can be up at 3am. (work is at 4am.) Anything less than seven hours of sleep and I am dead.

Anything more than nine hours of sleep leaves me dead, too. I don't get it. I cannot sleep in because it wrecks me.

So yeah, 7-8 hours. It's wonderful. I can't remember the last time I felt sleepy aside from at night.

Futan
01-13-2013, 01:58 AM
Is this how long you plug yourself in or do robots sleep?

Formalhaut
01-13-2013, 03:35 AM
Eh...

3-5 hours sleep is my functional zone, and probably the one where I reside in most of the time.

6-7 on weekends. And even then, I'm so used to weekday 3-5 that I often forget to relax.

8+ is a great rarity. I hardly ever sleep this long unless I've been either drugged or knocked out with a baseball bat.

In summary, the day where I don't see purple bags under my eyes is the day I have reached nirvana. Though one thing that I am getting is that hardly anyone gets the recommended hours of sleep!

chionos
01-13-2013, 03:41 AM
Well, yeah man, sleep is for the dead.

Things more important than sleep:*

Books
Vidya games
Other games
Movies
6 degress of Wiki
Music
Coffee
Talking to someone you love
Talking to someone you like
Talking to someone you hate
Baby carrots and bacon ranch dressing with a little grated Parmesan
The stars
Fireflies
Midnight drives
Midnight walks
Sex

*Not a complete list

Faris
01-13-2013, 04:24 AM

We've crashed and burn far too many times hanging out. :p

Best part is that we were usually chatting with each other online instead of resting for our hang outs.

Pike
01-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Is this how long you plug yourself in or do robots sleep?

I plug myself in, at which point I enter a state very similar to sleep. I dream of electric sheep.

Books
Vidya games
Other games
Movies
6 degress of Wiki
Music
Coffee
The stars
Fireflies
Midnight drives
Midnight walks
Sex

*Not a complete list

Vidya gaems are more important than sleep, I agree, but enjoying them while tired is hardly enjoying them at all! It's best to enjoy vidya while refreshed after a good night's sleep.

fire_of_avalon
01-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Books
Vidya games
Other games
Movies
6 degress of Wiki
Music
Coffee
The stars
Fireflies
Midnight drives
Midnight walks
Sex

*Not a complete list

Someday science will get us to the point where we won't need sleep. I hope.

escobert
01-13-2013, 07:19 PM
I have no idea how you guys can do it. I go to bed at 7pm every night so I can be up at 3am. (work is at 4am.) Anything less than seven hours of sleep and I am dead.

Anything more than nine hours of sleep leaves me dead, too. I don't get it. I cannot sleep in because it wrecks me.

So yeah, 7-8 hours. It's wonderful. I can't remember the last time I felt sleepy aside from at night.

I agree that anything over 7-8 hours and I'm dead. I'll just end up sleeping 10-12 hours. I do seem to function best on about 6 hours of sleep. I do get super tired by the end of the week if I'm up until 11 or midnight ever night.

Night Fury
01-13-2013, 07:25 PM
I can manage on 6. Anything more than that is a treat. Anything over 10 is disgraceful and a waste of potential productivity.

rubah
01-13-2013, 11:19 PM
I am a little babby and go to bed around 10:30

I get very unhappy with less than 8

I love being asleep; there are so many great dreams and it's so comfortable. but there are things I want to do in waking life too :(

escobert
01-13-2013, 11:37 PM
I don't ever remember dreams so sleeping is a waste of time!

chionos
01-14-2013, 01:21 AM
I don't ever remember dreams so sleeping is a waste of time!

Exactly! Preach it!

Raistlin
01-14-2013, 03:52 AM
Someday science will get us to the point where we won't need sleep. I hope.

I agree; it wastes 1/3 of our lives!

fire_of_avalon
01-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Isn't that horrible? We spend a third of our lives practically dead already. Ugh.

chionos
01-14-2013, 04:58 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

Except, you just made it even more depressing. I don't want to think about it anymore. Our lives are so tiny and insignificant!

Bubba
01-14-2013, 04:36 PM
The less sleep I get the more tired I am the next day.

The more sleep I get the less tired I am the next day.

Ouch!
01-14-2013, 04:43 PM
I require a minimum of five hours of sleep to function. Six to seven is optimal. If I sleep more than eight hours, I tend to wake up tired.

Loony BoB
01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
I once had 3-4 hours of sleep per night and became an irritable wanker and felt like crap. I have at least six hours on most nights now and I'm perhaps still an irritable wanker on occasion, but I do feel a lot better. In the weekend I'll try to have more sleep but it doesn't always work out that way. The best night for sleep is Friday night for me, as it's when I've just gone through five days of long work and little sleep and I often go to bed early and wake up later than normal. For some reason, I rarely get a lot of sleep on a Saturday night... possibly because of all that sleep on Friday night. :p

NinjaCoachZ
01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
8 hours or more to feel fully rested and completely awake the next day. Though if I have gotten a full sleep the night before, I can go a day with 7 or even 6.