PDA

View Full Version : Chess.

Quindiana Jones
01-13-2013, 11:01 AM
I love chess. I wish I had more opportunities to play it. I'm hoping that I'll find one of those parks in China that just has row upon row of chess tables, with old men playing games to while away the hours till they get their mutant powers back. While I am probably better than your average thicky, I am considerably worse than I used to be. I reckon 11 year old me would kick my ass in a game of chess.

Do you like chess? Do you play it often? Are you Magneto?

Heath
01-13-2013, 11:33 AM
I am a rubbish not great at Chess, but I do like it. Until fairly recently, I used to meet up with a friend of mine about once a month and play Chess in a cafe for a few hours whilst drinking a lot of tea and having a catch-up, as the place we went had one of those coffee tables with a built in chess board and pieces. It was really good fun.

I can quite conclusively tell you that I am not Magneto.

Formalhaut
01-13-2013, 03:30 PM
I love chess, but I wouldn't say that I'm good at it. However, I do know all the rules and whatnot, so I act like teacher whenever there's a chess virgin who wants to play chess. Right now in my sixth form, there's two exchange students who I'm having fun teaching them chess. Have to say, for a first few attempts their very good! :D

escobert
01-13-2013, 05:07 PM
I love chess but I'm not all that good at it.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-13-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm going with it is fun but not good at it either. :/

NeoCracker
01-13-2013, 06:22 PM
I use to be awesome at chess when I played a lot in high school. Now probably not so much, but it's still fun. :p

Quindiana Jones
01-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I once won some sandwiches because of a successful four move checkmate. Proudest secondary school moment.

NeoCracker
01-13-2013, 09:05 PM
That move is fucking stupid! :mad2:

I say this mostly because some guy did it to me four game in a row, and I felt like a complete Moron. :(

Quindiana Jones
01-13-2013, 09:07 PM
I was on the second table in a competition at primary school, and I lost. I fought well, though, and it was a great match. Then we decided to play for fun. He got me in four moves.

MAXIMUM SHAME.

Aulayna
01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
I played a mean game of chess once. My opponent got rather annoyed at having to pick his pieces up off the floor.

/badumtish

Madame Adequate
01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
I used to be decent at chess, I imagine today I'm terrible though. Only chess I'm any good at is against Medivh.

Faris
01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Chess is awesome! Wish I had more chances to play it though :( I am also not so great at it but I confuse people because I'll start from the outside and work my way inwards for the first moves. At least I'm told that's unusual.

Formalhaut
01-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Chess is awesome! Wish I had more chances to play it though :( I am also not so great at it but I confuse people because I'll start from the outside and work my way inwards for the first moves. At least I'm told that's unusual.

I play it all the time in sixth form! Love it. It's a sixth form past-time here.

Aulayna
01-13-2013, 11:26 PM
I'll happilly play any of you on Yahoo Chess sometime!

Formalhaut
01-14-2013, 12:02 AM
We should do like a Final Fantasy Chess set complete with characters from the game. That would be brilliant :D

I'd happily play that on EoFF.

Skyblade
01-14-2013, 12:51 AM
I actually dislike chess.

Strategy is too important. Chess has thousands of layers of strategy, and anyone who is on a higher level than you is pretty much always going to win. Also there's very little natural or intuitive about its growth curve.

As a result, I find that even, interesting, or fun matches are hard to come by, at least in person. Against any individual opponent, the results are usually set. Either you'll always win (which is boring), or you'll always lose (which is frustrating). Online matchmaking lets you avoid this somewhat by almost always giving you new opponents, but I prefer gaming with people I know.

Jinx
01-14-2013, 02:18 AM
fuck chess

Flaming Ice
01-14-2013, 02:25 AM
Chess is fun but it doesn't help when you have glass pieces and your sister whips'em to the ground with her hair! :cry:

I actually dislike chess.

Strategy is too important. Chess has thousands of layers of strategy, and anyone who is on a higher level than you is pretty much always going to win. Also there's very little natural or intuitive about its growth curve.

As a result, I find that even, interesting, or fun matches are hard to come by, at least in person. Against any individual opponent, the results are usually set. Either you'll always win (which is boring), or you'll always lose (which is frustrating). Online matchmaking lets you avoid this somewhat by almost always giving you new opponents, but I prefer gaming with people I know.

It's usually not that way unless I play against my dad or my sister's husband, perhaps, but it's still fun making up strategies and winning the odd game.

qwertysaur
01-14-2013, 03:44 AM
I made a chess set out of legos a couple of years ago. Now I miss it. :(

Bubba
01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
My Dad taught me and my brother chess from a young age and I absolutely loved it.

My Dad's step-dad taught him and was on another planet. He used to play my Dad with his back to the board and memorise where all the pieces had moved to during the game... then still win. My Dad didn't beat him once.

Having him as a teacher meant my Dad was pretty awesome in his own right. I'm quite proud of the fact that I managed to beat my Dad twice (out of countless games) in his lifetime.

I reckon I could give anyone a game. Quin, I challenge you!

Quindiana Jones
01-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Hell yes. How can we play?

Bubba
01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Hell yes. How can we play?

Hmmm... I've always liked the idea of postal chess but that doesn't seem practical these days. There must be something online that will let us do it. I'll do some digging!

Quindiana Jones
01-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Why not VM each other our moves? Knight to B5, bitch.

Bubba
01-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Who said you could be whites, bitch?

Right, I'm just finishing work now so I'll message you my next move later

Quindiana Jones
01-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Wait, what? Have we started? xD Oh shit.

I have a two player chess app on my phone, so I'll input both ou moves using that. Do you have a similar way of doing it?

Slothy
01-14-2013, 07:31 PM
I have a two player chess app on my phone, so I'll input both ou moves using that. Do you have a similar way of doing it?

It's called a chess board fancy pants. Kids today.

On topic though, I like Chess, but rarely play and am terrible at it. Too much memorization required for my liking if you want to become a good player. I prefer to just go with the flow and react in the moment.

Quindiana Jones
01-14-2013, 07:34 PM
I don't have a chessboard. :(

And it's rude to assume things about people. ;)