PDA

View Full Version : Let's bring some life back to this forum

Formalhaut
01-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Rather understandably, this forum is a dead as ditch-water. While I've heard so many gripes about how this game will never be released and the near radio silence, why don't we move on to an equally gloomy scenario - If/When Versus does come out, what will happen if it turns out a flop?

While were all expecting big things with Versus - perhaps more out of hope and optimism rather than concrete evidence (Hint: There isn't much) what happens if it's not a great game?

It's certainly possible. Everyone was expecting XIII to be awesome, but while I liked it, overall it was certainly divisive. If Versus does turn out to be controversial like XIII, would SE's reputation as a games maker be even more shaky? While Lightning Returns is certainly important, if SE cannot make Versus the great game everyone is hoping, I fear for them and Versus is definitely more critical for the company than XIII:LR. The constant pressure and fan unrest isn't helping things along either. Perhaps SE will decide to appease them and rush the game along, ruining some of the quality.

Discuss the possibility of Versus being a slight let-down, the effect it will have on both the company and the fans, and in what area of the game Versus might struggle in, like battle system, story, etc etc.

I do realise this is all mere speculation. :D

39202Moments after hearing sales figures, Noctis fell into a deep depression. Again.

Wolf Kanno
01-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Going by the hypothetical scenario:

Commercially, I don't think its possible for this game to flop, of anything it will be like FFXIII again where it will receive huge sales figure but be heavily criticized by the fanbase after the fact. At worst, the game will simply break even on its development price tag but this game is so heavily anticipated I find it hard to believe it won't make or break some sales records on its release.

If the game turns out to be terrible, with a poorly thought out battle system, over the top story with caricature cast, and a half assed game world concept, I feel it will simply weaken the shaky reputation of the series and SE's in-house development teams for fans. XII and XIII are pretty divisive titles already and XIV was such a huge mess that I don't think SE could really afford to have another mediocre entry on its track record, especially with the type of money and time that went into it. I can see SE pulling a XIII-2 and making the game have a sequel or porting it to the 360 or Wii-U just to make some extra cash off it. It will certainly affect Kingdom Hearts III's development, most likely making the KH team and Nomura spit it out as quickly as possible to recover overall sales for the company but that game itself is already going to have serious problems as it is now, so heaven help what a rush job will do the franchise and the KH teams reputation.

DMKA
01-15-2013, 02:28 AM
Dunno. There's a lot of hype built up around the game, but at the same time it has "XIII" attached to it, which, for a rather large fragment of the FF (former FF?) fanbase, is a stigma now that warrants no sympathy. Look no further than the giant sales number gap between XIII and XIII-2.

I don't see it flopping critically or commercially, but anything is possible when a game stays in development hell for this long, really.

Aulayna
01-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Look no further than the giant sales number gap between XIII and XIII-2.

I think there's more playing into that than just XIII being in the title.

DMKA
01-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Look no further than the giant sales number gap between XIII and XIII-2.

I think there's more playing into that than just XIII being in the title.

Really? I don't. Especially since SE even bothered to change Agito XIII's title to Type-0.

I wouldn't be surprised if Versus XIII gets an entirely new title too.

Aulayna
01-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Yes - you're right it's just because it had XIII in the title.

I'm sure the fact that most of it's pre-release material looked rather camp and girly - following on from the only other numbered sequel that was X-2 being exactly that had nothing to do with consumers shying away from it either.

I'm also sure the relatively short development turn around time by Square Enix standards didn't cause people to question whether this would be a rushed half-assed title or not.

I'm sure peoples perceptions of previous "spin-off" titles such as the FFVII compilation didn't influence their decision either.

I'm sure it's launch window had nothing to do with it either.

nirojan
01-18-2013, 09:15 AM
This guy:

Prompto (voiced by Tetsuya Kakihara), a blond haired man. He wields guns and is played in the same manner as a third-person shooter.

I have a feeling he's going to be annoying as f**k.

Roogle
01-19-2013, 12:56 AM
I don't see it flopping critically or commercially, but anything is possible when a game stays in development hell for this long, really.

Yes, I think it speaks volumes when a rumor can circulate about your game being cancelled because there has been so little shown about it in the last six years.

Dignified Pauper
01-20-2013, 06:39 PM
To be fair, if KHIII goes into development before this is given a release date, then we'll know this is vaporware.

Back on topic:

If this game were to flop, I guess it's just proof that Squeenix is really losing it's way with the franchise.

Lamia
01-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Well if it is a disaster like XIV was then it may tank the Final Fantasy brand but NOT the company. Square Enix would survive it. But if it is a disappointment I still believe that it will be a huge commercial success.

Versus XIII could be a very good game and still be a disappointment! The expectations are high. So my prediction is that it will be the best thing since buttered bread or a bit of a disappointment. If it is a disappointment it will still be a "must-have" game but fans will bitch. People will still buy it anyway because...surprisingly...attitudes are not a strong predictor of behavior. It doesn't matter what people say on the internet.