PDA

View Full Version : I miss the early 2000s

Shoeberto
01-14-2013, 02:36 PM
The early 2000s, when the filth and squalor of the world crowded into dark backalley message boards and IRC chats to discuss their horrible fetishes and that's all we had for social networks.

The early 2000s, when it was easy to support the war on terror because ain't nobody like terror so let's have a war.

The early 2000s, when you could drink Pepsi Blue while playing Metroid Prime on the GameCube, holding your nose high at your poor friends who got the XBox with Halo (as if MS would ever survive in the console market).

The early 2000s, when shit like this (http://www.sidetalkin.com/photos.html) popped up regularly and you didn't have to worry about your grandma totally ruining the joke by finding it on Pinterest or Facebook or Twitter or Tumblr or Instagram or Google+ or YouTube.

When not everything had a hashtag.

When the web was still my playground.

I miss my playground.

:'(

Sephex
01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Metroid Prime on Gamecube...man, that was pretty awesome. I kind of miss the "old" internet as well, but I am happy with the way things turned out!

That and pirating is easier. Not that I ever do such a thing...

Cuchulainn
01-14-2013, 03:05 PM
When I was showering this morning I found a grey pube. :(

Shoeberto
01-14-2013, 03:17 PM
It's alright, Cuch; a lot of people like their men sprinkled with a little salt and pepper. I know I do.

Sephex
01-14-2013, 03:56 PM

This just means that you can pull down your pants in job interviews to show that you have experience due to the grey hair!

Pike
01-14-2013, 03:58 PM
I miss 1998-2002 because that was truly the golden age of PC gaming.

I want it back :crying:

escobert
01-14-2013, 04:03 PM
omfg I hate that hashtag shit.
I want to blow up twitter. No one cares wtf you're doing all day.

Shoeberto
01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
omfg I hate that hashtag trout.
lol bert #hater

#yolo

Sephex
01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
lol bert #hater

#yolo

GOD, I hate you morons!

You forgot #swag!

Pike
01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
honestly I think you can blame tumblr for the hashtag abuse

Twitter started it and then Tumblr took it and ran with it into god knows where territory

#and now #all tumblr posts #are made #like this #and I don't get it #I mean really

escobert
01-14-2013, 05:29 PM
wtf is this tumblr crap?

I cba to keep up with these newfangled internet fads.

Shoeberto
01-14-2013, 05:31 PM
wtf is this tumblr crap?

I cba to keep up with these newfangled internet fads.
Tumblr is this generation's LiveJournal, except about 1% of all posts are actually original thoughts and the rest is just taking really shitty GIFs people captured from movies and re-blogging them with hideous nested quotes.

But still, at least it's not Facebook.

escobert
01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Facebook at least severs to keep people connected. such as finding childhood friends or family. The rest of these however just seem to be to get more followers and be popular.

Jowy
01-14-2013, 05:40 PM
We grew up and it fucking sucks.

Shorty
01-14-2013, 05:50 PM
oh man ahahaha pepsi blue was the greatest thing ever!

I miss the early 2000's because I would stay up until 4am talking to Beowulf or Dan and James and lord knows who else and be too tired to go to school the next morning so I'd hide in my room until my mom left for work and then repeat the night before.

I also miss chugging mountain dew and cactus cooler on the weekends with my friends and playing San Andreas/watching the good old Adult Swim shows until ungodly hours of the morning and walking back across the street to climb in through my window.

Sephex
01-14-2013, 06:00 PM

I miss the early 2000's because I would stay up until 4am talking to Beowulf

Yeah? Well, I stayed up until 4am reading Beowulf you pleb!

Ouch!
01-14-2013, 06:07 PM

Yeah? Well, I stayed up until 4as reading Beowulf you pleb!
þæt wæs god cyning

Del Murder
01-14-2013, 06:48 PM
In the early 2000s I was single, lonely, and unemployed. I don't need that back. #adultsrule

Shoeberto
01-14-2013, 07:32 PM
In the early 2000s I was single, lonely, and unemployed. I don't need that back. #adultsrule
"You kids stop with your circle-jerkin', this is a public place and there are kids here!"

OKAY DAD!!!!!!!

We grew up and it smurfing sucks.
THAT'S THE SPIRIT!
C'mon everyone let's cry it up together.
http://www.sidetalkin.com/images/sad.gif

Del Murder
01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Get offa my lawn! I just paid my gardener to mow that thing!

Quindiana Jones
01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
I received my first ever gaming device in 2000. The GameBoy Color with Pokemon Blue. That eventually lead me here.

Fucking Pokemon Blue. :(

Ouch!
01-14-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm actually with T-Money on this one. The early 2000s were some of the worst years of my life, and everything has gotten significantly better since then.

Agent Proto
01-14-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm mixed about this. This time was around the time I discovered EoFF, and a lot of crap went on that I missed, and some I don't really miss at all.

Quindiana Jones
01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Oh god. Proto has been a member longer than I have been gaming (by any recognisable definition of the word).

Sephex
01-14-2013, 07:57 PM

Yeah? Well, I stayed up until 4as reading Beowulf you pleb!
þæt wæs god cyning

Probably did after seeing the movie.

Tigmafuzz
01-14-2013, 08:19 PM
#adultsrule

Get offa my lawn! I just paid my gardener to mow that thing!

http://i.imgur.com/jG4Sh.jpg

Aulayna
01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
The only thing I miss about the early 2000s is my forums, the gaming experiences and the amount of free time I had due to being in College and subsequently Uni. Everything else in my life sucked back then.

Rostum
01-14-2013, 11:14 PM

That's more a case of you not knowing how to use the platform.

You say Facebook serves a purpose of connecting, well Twitter also serves a purpose of getting instant information where usually you can get updates from news website before they even post it on the website itself. It's also an amazing tool for marketing, used alongside Facebook. In other words, there's a lot more legitimate and positive use for Twitter than you realize.

I miss the early 2000's in that I miss the amount of time I had to not only be productive but also to relax. I grew up with a lot of freedom, and a lot of opportunity. However I now feel that I really wasted those years, and wish I had of used my time wisely. Also I loved games a lot more back then.

Jinx
01-14-2013, 11:14 PM
I miss my butterfly hairclips and wazzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

Sephex
01-15-2013, 12:00 AM
I miss my butterfly hairclips and wazzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

I thought this was the funniest thing when I first saw this.
ZLO1Qj8VaJ8

Raistlin
01-15-2013, 12:32 AM
I don't really miss the late '90s/early 2000s from a personal life perspective, but I do kinda miss the gaming and internet life. I would stay up late playing Ultima Online, be talking to 6+ people at any given time on AIM or ICQ (I still remember my number: 63664743), and there were 80,000 small video game message boards appearing every second -- and that and AIM/ICQ were the only ways you could keep up with friends.

fire_of_avalon
01-15-2013, 01:18 AM
I miss when flash animation first became a thing and my first year of college.

Jowy
01-15-2013, 01:53 AM
I can't possibly be the only person who had people on their AIM list just to see what they came up with for away messages.

krissy
01-15-2013, 02:07 AM
tumblr made my job much easier

i used to use my lviejournal entirely for picture reposts

tumblr must've seen my lj and decided people want this kind of thing

XxSephirothxX
01-15-2013, 02:41 AM
Stu you're bumming me out man

Tigmafuzz
01-15-2013, 06:04 AM
I miss when flash animation first became a thing

Oh man, the heyday of Newgrounds. My feels.

Araciel
01-15-2013, 06:35 AM
I turned 18 in August of 2000...

*sigh*

chionos
01-15-2013, 07:24 AM
I miss everything I played, saw, read, or did in the early 2000s for the first time. Because the first time is the best time.

Cuchulainn
01-15-2013, 09:56 AM
It's alright, Cuch; a lot of people like their men sprinkled with a little salt and pepper. I know I do.

Ack you've a good heart my good man. You've left with hope and a semi

Pike
01-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Actually the more I think about it the more I do want to return to the early 2000s just so I can redo my entire college career cause I really messed that one up.

Aulayna
01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Actually the more I think about it the more I do want to return to the early 2000s just so I can post at The Sacred Realm again.

I agree!

JaymeNoel
01-15-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm fairly reminiscent most of the time. Even things from a year, even months ago. I think it's just easier for most individuals to reminisce then to make new memories, because a lot of things aren't really as fun until you're looking back on it. Eventually everyone'll say, "HEEEEY remember back in 2012 when they announced Lightning Returns and EVERYBODY was excited?!".....

No? ..... nobody?

IDK, I can relate. I've been in this mood for two or three days now.

Shorty
01-15-2013, 05:44 PM
I can't possibly be the only person who had people on their AIM list just to see what they came up with for away messages.

I had the worst fucking AIM away messages. Michelle Branch lyrics and crap. Nothing to do with actually being away, just horrible, horrible lyrics.

Pike
01-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Actually the more I think about it the more I do want to return to the early 2000s just so I can post at The Sacred Realm again.

I agree!

Okay that too. :)

Jowy
01-15-2013, 05:47 PM

I had the worst fucking AIM away messages. Michelle Branch lyrics and crap. Nothing to do with actually being away, just horrible, horrible lyrics.

At least you acknowledge it. Mine was usually "ragnarok online" a good 90% of the time.

theundeadhero
01-15-2013, 05:53 PM
I guess October of 2000 wasn't so bad.

Quindiana Jones
01-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Were you celebrating my tenth birthday too, tuh? That's really nice of you, man. :bigsmile:

Jinx
01-15-2013, 07:36 PM

I had the worst smurfing AIM away messages. Michelle Branch lyrics and crap. Nothing to do with actually being away, just horrible, horrible lyrics.

I was here and you were not, now you are here and I am not.

...yeah.

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2013, 09:13 PM
I miss being able to endlessly play video games and be on the Internet all day.

maybee
01-16-2013, 12:07 PM
No. This was a rough time for me personally since I was heavily bullied at Middle School. So yeah, I can't feel the same about this.

Shoeberto
01-16-2013, 03:17 PM

I had the worst smurfing AIM away messages. Michelle Branch lyrics and crap. Nothing to do with actually being away, just horrible, horrible lyrics.
ahahahaha. Michelle Branch. Could've been worse, though; I used a lot of Linkin Park and Blink-182 at the time. (Back when LP was THE angsty teen rock band, before they just became fucking lame)

I miss being able to endlessly play video games and be on the Internet all day.
Meeee too. I play a lot of games on my phone these days. Getting a solid, uninterrupted hour for a proper game is like a godsend anymore.

No. This was a rough time for me personally since I was heavily bullied at Middle School. So yeah, I can't feel the same about this.
Actually it was the same for me. Internet and gaming functioned for me as support networks and coping strategies. My nostalgia comes from how good it felt to be surrounded with stuff that made me feel like I wasn't an outcast and that I wasn't such a weirdo compared to how I was at school. I miss the escapism.

Also I'm glad I was able to sufficiently bum a lot of you out. GLAD GLAD GLAD. :mad2:

maybee
01-18-2013, 11:01 AM
^ I couldn't do the same since Mum said that I was too young for the Internet. And everything I liked and enjoyed was ripped upon. My FF VII walk-through guide that I brought to school to read was grabbed, ripped and spat on- on several pages. Somebody threatened to come into my house and damage my PlayStation games and PlayStation after school and when I was speaking about Harry Potter to a stranger- a classmate grabbed me and threw me into the mud.

I would of assumed that people on the net would of attacked me as well.

Sorry for turning this into a emo thread.

Shoeberto
01-18-2013, 01:41 PM
^ I couldn't do the same since Mum said that I was too young for the Internet. And everything I liked and enjoyed was ripped upon. My FF VII walk-through guide that I brought to school to read was grabbed, ripped and spat on- on several pages. Somebody threatened to come into my house and damage my PlayStation games and PlayStation after school and when I was speaking about Harry Potter to a stranger- a classmate grabbed me and threw me into the mud.

I would of assumed that people on the net would of attacked me as well.

Sorry for turning this into a emo thread.
No worries. That really sucks :(

Rocket Edge
01-18-2013, 02:18 PM
The nostalgia is hitting me like a tonne of bricks. :cry:

DMKA
01-19-2013, 12:43 AM
I was still in high school, living in Oklahoma, Bush was president, and you couldn't go through a single day without hearing people screaming "TERROR TERROR MUSLIMS OSAMA BIN LADEN POST 9/11 WORLD!"

Nope, can't say I miss those days.

I do miss the late 90s that immediately preceded them though. ;__;

Roogle
01-19-2013, 12:45 AM
I do not miss being a child. I like the responsibility and the control that comes with the life of an adult. I was already a child once, so I don't feel the need to relive or repeat the experience again.