PDA

View Full Version : Is it wise to uninstall drivers?

Quindiana Jones
01-17-2013, 10:22 AM
So, I have a Sony Vaio. This brings with it many problems. One of which is the touchpad. There is no button to disable it. I have no Sony software on my PC which would allow me to disable it, and I just cannot be arsed finding the relevant ones, installing them and keeping them, just for the sake of disabling a bloody touchpad. I'm not able to Disable the driver in the Device Manager either. This, as far as I can see, leaves me with one option; uninstallation.

Now, my assumption is that, if I ever need to use the touchpad again, I can just have my PC search online for the relevant drivers and install them automatically, but I figure it's safer to check.

Night Fury
01-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Hmm, I would say it's probably not wise. You never know, the touchpad driver could be linked to other ones and if you disable it or remove it or whatever you might damage something else.

Also, I have a Sony Vaio too (totally unrelated xD)

Rantz
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
You probably could get away with uninstalling the driver, but I would try a few other things first.

Go to C:\Program Files\Sony\Setting Utility Series
Run VCCPointingDevice.exe
Untick the "Enable" checkbox and voila!
Tried that?

For me, I can go to Control panel > Hardware and sound > Mouse and there's a tab there where I can disable it, but that's brand specific. Check if you have anything similar, though! (if the above doesn't do it)

Quindiana Jones
01-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Aye, I checked all that first. The Sony bloatware contains that file which, obviously, I removed as soon as I got this laptop. xD

And, rather annoyingly, I don't have such an option in my Control Panel. I only option that's highlighted is the Uninstall one. I have bought a external keyboard, so I suppose I could just be patient and wait for that. But still. :(