PDA

View Full Version : Seeking free medical advice!

blackmage_nuke
01-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Normally i'll take a cold and go with it, but I have an important event in two days time for which I dont want to have a cold but I can feel a cold coming on (not full blown yet), what do i do!?
fixitfixitfixitfixitfixit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Isjgc0oX0s)

Psychotic
01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Cut off your nose. Can't have a blocked nose if there's nothing to be blocked. Another positive is that it'll really spite your face.

Night Fury
01-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Make something with ginger, chilli and garlic.
Drink lots of Orange Juice, keep warm and rest up!

For your sinuses I suggest something with menthol and eucalyptus.

Shauna
01-17-2013, 06:11 PM
According to the science what I learned at the university building, leading to me getting a fancy piece of paper that says I know stuff - if what Psy suggests doesn't work, you're probably out of luck, but you could try some Hot Lemon Drink with paracetemol just in case that'll help.

blackmage_nuke
01-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Cut off your nose. Can't have a blocked nose if there's nothing to be blocked. Another positive is that it'll really spite your face.

Good advice

Make something with ginger, chilli and garlic.
Drink lots of Orange Juice, keep warm and rest up!

For your sinuses I suggest something with menthol and eucalyptus.

YOURE INSANE

Night Fury
01-17-2013, 06:13 PM
I may be insane but I'm right.

/smug

Baloki
01-17-2013, 06:17 PM

:up:

Shorty
01-17-2013, 06:32 PM
A shit ton of hot tea, Airborne tablets, Vick's vapor rub, cough drops, Theraflu and water. All of that crap combined.

Quindiana Jones
01-17-2013, 06:33 PM
How about you just trade in your vagina and get over it, y'big girl? :colbert:

Shorty
01-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Before you get better, make sure you cough all over Quin.

Quindiana Jones
01-17-2013, 06:37 PM
:D

qwertysaur
01-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Matzoh Ball Soup. (Or chicken soup if there are no Jewish Grandmothers available)

Raistlin
01-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Seppuku.

Pike
01-19-2013, 01:39 AM
I don't think there is an easy answer to this, my friend. Stock up on medications, hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

Ouch!
01-19-2013, 02:00 AM
High intake of vitamin C will help reduce the duration of a cold, but it will not prevent it. Given your time limit is two days? Good luck, you're screwed. :D

blackmage_nuke
01-19-2013, 03:13 AM
Im not trying to prevent so much as delay the worst of it

fire_of_avalon
01-19-2013, 03:14 AM
A high intake of Vitamin C has been seen in some studies to indicate that it might have more efficacy than placebo in shortening the duration of a cold, but the risks of vitamin C megadosing are probably just going to make you feel worse. The most common side effect of vitamin C megadosing is diarrhea.

So potentially you can end up with some nasty cold symptoms that will tail off a day or two sooner than expected with diarrhea on top of that.

Colds are caused by viruses. Viruses are pieces of RNA and DNA with a thin protein coat. They propagate by attaching to your healthy cells and getting their RNA or DNA inside of you cell. Then your cell multiplies with the new viral information and builds other viruses to go latch on to other of your healthy cells. The saga continues. Luckily, your cells can kind of tell something is smurfed up and produce proteins to combat the RNA chains produced by the virus, until the virus adapts of course.

Since you have a cold coming on you should drink lots of fluids, like water, maintain a healthy diet and other habits, and get plenty of rest. This will help your body fight off the infection. Also, chicken soup really can help you besides being nourishing, studies have indicated it inhibits the movement of white blood cells that stimulate your mucosa (snot factory) so it can stave off the runny nose. Honey can reduce and inhibit dry cough.

If you spike a fever, especially a fever accompanied by nausea, you likely have the flu. Don't leave your bed.

Quindiana Jones
01-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Sorry foa, but I'm gonna have to call you on that. That is absolute bullshit. Colds are caused by a chemical imbalance, and can be cured by donating to the Quintology foundation. $10,000 or more, and I guarantee it'll be gone in an hour!

Faris
01-19-2013, 12:56 PM
At my house we have a spray bottle specifically for spraying in our throats with vodka. It burns, makes me gag but it does give some relief if your throat starts acting up. However, if you're underage: you read nothing :shifty:

Usually it takes a good week to get rid of the nasty cold symptoms. Good luck!

fire_of_avalon
01-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Sorry foa, but I'm gonna have to call you on that. That is absolute bulltrout. Colds are caused by a chemical imbalance, and can be cured by donating to the Quintology foundation. $10,000 or more, and I guarantee it'll be gone in an hour!
Sorry, I had totally forgotten the Quintological approach here. Quin here happens to be an excellent Quintologist, so you should probably donate a few grand more, too.

Quindiana Jones
01-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Also, mustard sandwiches will clear your sinuses right up!

blackmage_nuke
01-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks for your help everyone! I reached the day with an acceptable barly hindering amount of illness

Laddy
01-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Airborne tablets work wonders, so I'd stock up on some of those.