PDA

View Full Version : The Night Life of Final Fantasy XIV: New Beta Screenshots

Raistlin
01-18-2013, 09:11 PM

As we near the release of the beta version (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2224-final-fantasy-xiv-realm-reborn-beta-begin-february.html) of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, the development team is hard at work making changes and adding content. One of those changes is the passage of time.

In the alpha version of FFXIV, there was only one time of day: high noon. But now the world of Eorzea experiences nighttime as well, and the development team has posted all-new screenshots of Gridania at night.

The Knot in Old Gridania.

A beautiful full moon over the wooded city.

The moon will have different phases, and the night sky's color seems to change as well.

With Yoshi-P’s usual eye for detail, it looks like nighttime in Eorzea will be just as gorgeous as the world is in the daylight. With the beta version scheduled to be released in about a month, hopefully we’ll be able to experience it for ourselves soon!

[Source: FFXIV Developer's Blog (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/167)]

Loony BoB
01-18-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm really interested in seeing how dark it gets when you wander into the wilderness. A lot of people on the forums were asking for some places where it gets extremely dark and there are different mobs, adding a little 'spooky' factor to certain areas of the game. I'd personally love it. Can't wait for beta!

EDIT: Ahahahahaha @ the Dev blog...

Ah, but will facing north-by-northeast at 2:45 a.m. while the moon is a waning crescent result in a 27% increase in your chances to synthesize HQ mythril ingots!? That is real the question!
Oh, the conspiracy theories are going to love (and hate) Fern for that one. :)

Ouch!
01-19-2013, 01:21 AM

Ah, but will facing north-by-northeast at 2:45 a.m. while the moon is a waning crescent result in a 27% increase in your chances to synthesize HQ mythril ingots!? That is real the question!
A brilliant joke to be appreciated by anyone who got into crafting in Final Fantasy XI, although given that crafting in FFXIV is stat-based, just a joke.

Mirage
01-19-2013, 01:23 AM
The moon will even have different phases.

So... just like some game from 2001, right? Don't see how that's worth mentioning :p

Futan
01-19-2013, 01:45 AM
Did 1.0 not have moon phases? :|

Aulayna
01-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Those screenshots look really nice. Really looking forward to this.

Raistlin
01-19-2013, 02:25 AM
The moon will even have different phases.

So... just like some game from 2001, right? Don't see how that's worth mentioning :p

Err... I did not intend for that to sound at all notable as that "even" seems to make it sound, in hindsight. I just needed a caption for the last image, and the only real difference was a change in the moon. xD

EDIT: there, happy? :p

Del Murder
01-19-2013, 02:27 AM
How about 'You can see Bahamut's fingernail in the distance there.'

Ouch!
01-19-2013, 02:52 AM
Did 1.0 not have moon phases? :|

Version 1.x lacked a great many things. It did, however, have moon phases.

chionos
01-19-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm really interested in seeing how dark it gets when you wander into the wilderness. A lot of people on the forums were asking for some places where it gets extremely dark and there are different mobs, adding a little 'spooky' factor to certain areas of the game. I'd personally love it. Can't wait for beta!

>_<
But it totally worked.
I swear!

Although...maybe it only worked for Galka Bonecrafters who were SMN/MNK at the time of crafting and selected ingredients in descending alphabetical order with their Treat Staff II equipped.

All I know is it worked for me.

>_>
<_<
>_>

Seriously, though, I bought into that shit and tried everything.

Just

In

Case

It totally worked.

That kind of terrain/environment effect sounds really interesting, BoB, I would love to see something like that implemented.

Loony BoB
01-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Yeah, only problem I can imagine is that you can see the health bars plain and clear regardless of whether you can see the enemy, which would ruin any chance of getting spooked by an enemy suddenly being in your face. Then again, the moles that tunnel into the ground have their HP hidden when underground, so perhaps they can disable HP bars until the mobs are really close or something...

chionos
01-19-2013, 10:18 AM
FFXI has several different mob types with similar functions.

Al'Taieu's Phuabo swim up from beneath you and Yovra drop out of the sky.

Antlions pop up out of cracks in the ground in Attohwa Chasm.