PDA

View Full Version : You've Earned your dues!

Wolf Kanno
01-20-2013, 10:19 PM
So one of the more interesting but overlooked traditions of the FF series is letting a prominent boss monster finally become a summon.

Titan was a minor story enemy you had to face in FFI to proceed but became one of the Summons in FFIII.

FFIV allowed you to summone enemy staples Goblins, Mindflayers, Cockitrices and the Bomb

Golem was a pretty common enemy in the first four FFs and finally got upgraded into FFV's most useful summon.

Cait Sith was a minor enemy in FFII and FFIV, while if you go by the original Kanji, Midgard Zolom is a late game regualr enemy in the World of Darkness

FFVII made Chupon/Typhon into a summon.

FFVIII upgraded new enemy favorites Cactaur and Tonberry into summons. It also granted summoner status to Minotaur from FFV, and Cerberus from FFIII, and its very likely that Doomtrain is a reference to FFVI's Phantom Train boss. Let's also not forget Gilgamesh!

IX gave us Atomos from FFV

FFX gave us the obvious Magus Sisters but also possibly upgraded Yojimbo who was a nasty enemy encounter in FFV and VI respectively.

FFXI finally gave Garudo from FFIII's its dues

FFXII upgraded all of the Lucavi from FFtactics into summons but also ExDeath, Zeromus, and Chaos

FFXIII gave us Hecatoncheir from FFIII, XIII's version is surprisingly closer to the real myth version of the beast instead of FFIII's version.

So with all that said, what enemy/boss would you like to see get upgraded into a future summon for the series?

****************************************************************************************************

For regular enemies, I would love to see Behemoth finally become a summon, as well as the Movers from FFV. Brachiosaur would also be pretty cool.

For bosses, I'm hoping to see Hyne become a summon, Ultros would be pretty cool as well, same with Demon Wall. I would really love to see Ultima/Atma Weapon become a summon as well.

Del Murder
01-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Mandragora!

Futan
01-20-2013, 10:43 PM
I agree w/ everything both of you said. XD I think I'd like to see a Promathia summon. lol.

Also, Midgard Zolom is just a bastardization of Midgardsormr, aka Jormungand. :x

EDIT: Oh, wait. I only agree with Del if he means the cute ones from XI. :p

VeloZer0
01-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Warmech!

Raistlin
01-21-2013, 03:20 AM
Warmech!

Oh man, this is a great one. Some of FFI's other bosses would be good, too, like Kraken (although hopefully the summon version would be stronger than a one-eyed squirrel armed with a piece of wet spaghetti...).

And like WK, I would also like to see Behemoth as a summon.

Wolf Kanno
01-21-2013, 04:24 AM
^ Why settle for just Kraken, pull a FFX/Magus Sisters and just make the Four Fiends into the game's ultimate super summon. Hell thinking of that, Rubicante could be pretty awesome as well.

So far what I'm thinking...

FF - Four Fiends and Warmech
FFII - Behemoth, Iron Giant
FFIII - Hyne and maybe Ahiram or the Nepto Serpent
FFIV - Rubicante, Scarlimogne, Demon Wall and Antlion.
FFV - Gil Snapper, Enuo, Archeoaevis
FFVI - Ultros, Dream Stooges, Warring Triad, Ultima Weapon
FFVII - Aps, Rapps, Jenova, Godo, Guard Scorpion
FFVIII - Elvoret, Griever, PuPu,
FFIX - Black Waltzes, Yan, Gizamaluke
FFX- Geosgaeno, Sin, Nemesis
FFXI - Sahdow Lord, Promethia, Shantatto, Lilith Ascendant
FFXII - Elder Wyrm, Fury, The Undying, Shadowseer, the Archadean Judges a la KotR style
FFXIII- Barthandelus, Vercingetorix
FFXIV - Nael van Darnus, Good King Moggle Mog XII

General - Biggs and Wedge should finbally be upgraded to summon status as well.

VeloZer0
01-21-2013, 04:41 AM
I think thematically demon wall would be a great one. It could even be a fun one that just buffs your party with protect/shell/haste and does some damage to the enemy.

Warring Triad could also be a cool 'unlock in parts' one similar to Crusader.

Futan
01-21-2013, 05:03 AM
Shantotto would be the best summon ever. lol. They need her to be rhyming the entire 5 minute sequence though. :jess:

Mirage
01-21-2013, 05:19 AM
Absolute Virtue as a summon in FF15. Make it happen.

Shadow lord is good too. Promathia would be weird, from a story perspective. Besides, he kind of looks like an Aern anyway, which is what Absolute Virtue also is.

I hope Hecatoncheir makes a return in later Final Fantasy games as well.

Making a mandragora trio or something would be cool too. It would be like magus sisters I guess but with mandies instead. There is a lot of mandragora lore (?) available if you combine FF11 and FF12. The design of them is similar in both games, and both games have them as sort of a self aware plant race. The ones in FF11 even know how to craft tiny bark vests that they wear. They are also known to occasionally be neutral or friendly in FF11, not always your enemy.

The cutest thing ever is when you go to the past in FF11 and Lycopodium mandragoras follow you around just out of curiosity, without attacing you. I think I had like 12 of them standing in a circle around me once.

I mean just look at them (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Mandragora).

chionos
01-21-2013, 06:15 AM
I'm so glad Garuda made the transition to a summon in FFXI. That's my girl!

I think it's time. Cid has been a great many things in the series. It's time he was a summon. Cid in an airship raining down vengeance on one's foes? Hell yes.

Night Fury
01-21-2013, 12:17 PM
I would love to see Behemoths become summons.

Mirage
01-21-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm so glad Garuda made the transition to a summon in FFXI. That's my girl!

I think it's time. Cid has been a great many things in the series. It's time he was a summon. Cid in an airship raining down vengeance on one's foes? Hell yes.

Garuda has dat ass. I totally use her most of the time, unless the situation calls for some specific types of damage. She is also one of the best physical damage avatars, being the only avatar to be able to haste herself, and having a strong critical-based physical blood pact.

Gamblet
01-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Shin-Ryu from FF V and... can't think of anything else.

Jowy
01-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Phunbaba and Doomgaze could have been awesome summons down the line. Adding another +1 for Behemoth too.

ShinGundam
01-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Hein and Thanatos from III.
Omniscient, Sorcerer, Vampire Lady, Vilia and Zephyrus from V.
Hundred Gunner and Proud Clod from VII.
Griever from VIII.

NinjaCoachZ
01-21-2013, 09:22 PM
It'd be pretty awesome to summon Braska's Final Aeon.

Griever and Behemoth as summons... ooh, those are good.

qwertysaur
01-22-2013, 01:03 AM
You forgot that Mateus in XII is the emperor from FF II. :p

NeoCracker
01-22-2013, 01:12 AM
I'd enjoy any of The Warring Triad from VI.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Chardarnook.

Tigmafuzz
01-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Where is my FFLII/FFLIII Ashura summon :colbert:

black orb
01-27-2013, 05:56 AM
>>> Ozma. In fact I have been waiting for it since I played FF9. If SE dont make it a summon soon then they are totally retarded..:luca:

Mirage
01-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Isn't ozma just a ball of stuff?

And Exodus is Exdeath.

black orb
01-28-2013, 05:22 AM
>>> Yes, and is perfect for a new summon..:luca:

Mirage
01-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Not exactly my first choice.

In either case, Jowy's idea to add Doomgaze is a compelling one. As for phunbaba/humbaba, I think that monster has more or less just been fused into behemoths in later games. Hey guys, what about Chimera? From like FF5 and FF7. The thing that always has aqua breath. It should probably be a low level summon.

qwertysaur
01-29-2013, 12:07 AM

And Exodus is Exdeath.
Wolf Mentioned him in the OP though. :p

Also Ozma is an Eidolon that was forgotten, so it lost it's form. :p

Mirage
01-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Wolf Mentioned him in the OP though. :p

Implying I actually read Wolf's posts :p.