PDA

View Full Version : Freakin' Zodiark

Shauna
01-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Mr Shauna and I are currently playing through this here game, and we've come up against Zodiark. Absolute dick. Increasingly seeming impossible to beat.

We've looked around online for strategy that works for us, to no avail - any tips for this damn battle? :3

Least favourite boss battle in FFXII?

Formalhaut
01-20-2013, 11:02 PM
The key is black masks. I've not fought him in AGES but I remember black masks being absolutely key.

I think the journey TO Zodiark is tougher than the esper itself. That long winding maze like mine has necrophobes, etems... sheesh.

I used this guide as a general "How-to".

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/46306

Quindiana Jones
01-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Stick 'im with the pointy end.

Shauna
01-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Stick 'im with the pointy end.

That works fine until he makes himself immune to physical attacks. :p

Shauna
01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
UPDATE! Totes beat him - eventually. It was a stressful moment as he was preparing Darkja and Vaan and Ashe ran in for their final attacks.

This thread is now redundant, unless people wish to discuss their least favourite boss of the game. Which I assume will be across the board Yiazmat.

Formalhaut
01-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Unless you count the bore that is Yiazmat.

Wolf Kanno
01-23-2013, 04:35 AM
Zodiark was largely annoying cause death meant running through his not so fun dungeon which got tedious after awhile. With luck, its possible to kill him with a Quickening Chain if you activate it before he pulls up the physical pailing and get enough hits but... I was never so fortunate.

My strategy largely involved surrounding him in a triangle formation and then Scathing his ass. He's mean but I still feel that Ultima beats him out as a more challenging and nerve wracking fight. On the other hand, Zodiark is honestly one of the best summons in the game, especially since he does the highest most conditioned damage of all the espers and activating his summon attack is the easiest of the whole lot so you can really treat him like a more traditional summon a la FFIII-IX.

Shauna
01-23-2013, 12:02 PM
We didn't have so much trouble with Ultima, actually. Maybe Game Over'd once?

There was no feeling of desperation with Ultima, unlike with Zodiark at which point I was sitting at the edge of the bed willing Vaan and Ashe to get those final attacks in before Darkja was sent out. Darkja was really the main issue - chance to KO your whole party? Ugh, not good. Tbh, we had a lucky run the winning time - Darkja never KO'd the entire party, there was always someone left alive. Luck based battles can be dicks.

But yeah, in the end, we finished the Pharos at Ridorana dungeon, got Scathe magic and returned to kick his behind. Scathe'd until his physical paling was gone, and then he was history.

Tigmafuzz
01-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Zodiark has never been difficult for me http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/confused2.gif

OmegaMKXII on the other hand, took a few tries and some strategy to deal with. Although the first few times I played through, it might just have been because I was dangerously underleveled http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/staredownsmile.gif

But yeah, in the end, we finished the Pharos at Ridorana dungeon, got Scathe magic and returned to kick his behind. Scathe'd until his physical paling was gone, and then he was history.

Should've used Shock. That way multiple people can attack at once and it's quicker. With Scathe, you have to wait until one person has finished the beam completely, then the next person starts. With Shock, you can have all three party members doing it at once, and it's a lot quicker anyway.