PDA

View Full Version : Symbolitry (worship of symbols?)

Mercen-X
01-21-2013, 02:22 AM
Admittedly, people don't ACTUALLY worship the SYMBOLS, but people are very strongly attached to symbols, particularly people who have said or done something they want to be remembered for (albeit subliminally). All my life, I've struggled to create a symbol of my own, but within anything I construct, there are always symbols within the symbol. There is no escape. The simplest forms of any symbol have all been claimed long ago and no matter how much complication and convolution you pile atop it, the simplest form of the symbol shines through to those who know how to see it.

What is your stance on symbolism?
How many places have you turned and found symbols and how did it make you feel?

They are everywhere. Some symbols and ideologies are expressed "superliminally" (just shy of slapping you in the face).

Just one example: Code Geass
Lelouch's eye is not simply a symbol in itself (the All-Seeing Eye), but the gesture he makes when he removes his contact is the very same used to express the existence of the eye. The symbol of the Black Knights is the geass with a sword through it which forms a pentagram missing three lines.
The ending of the series conceptually promotes the new order of a one-world government. It is set in motion by controllers through brainwashing, run by a faceless entity which inhabits multiple bodies at any one time, and is enforced by a "Damocles Sword".

Madame Adequate
01-21-2013, 02:30 AM
Symbols are the key to telepathy. The mind wraps its secrets in symbols; when we discover the symbols that shape our enemy's thought, we can penetrate the vault of his mind.

Mirage
01-21-2013, 12:55 PM
My favourite symbol is Thunder Flare, although Faerie Light is a strong contender as well.

Night Fury
01-21-2013, 01:30 PM
It's very cliche, but I do love Yin/Yang because it just reminds me that everything must be balanced. You can't have one thing without the other, light without dark etc etc, and that it's complimentary and not opposing.

Cuchulainn
01-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Not since I was a teen. When I was a teenager I was extremely attached to the symbol of a cock and hairy balls with some spaltter coming out. I drew it everywhere I could in marker pens at school.

After a time and as my confidence grew started to draw vaginas, they were a lot more complicated and required skill & a knowledge of vaginas i never possessed in my early years.

It was a very spiritual time for me.

Shoeberto
01-21-2013, 02:30 PM
In all seriousness, I put a lot of value in the peace sign, for how overused and generically assigned to "hippie" culture as it is. It's the only thing I've considered getting tattooed on me and I still would like to after considering it for over a year.

Faris
01-21-2013, 03:16 PM
It's very cliche, but I do love Yin/Yang because it just reminds me that everything must be balanced. You can't have one thing without the other, light without dark etc etc, and that it's complimentary and not opposing.

Shorty
01-21-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm quite fond of the Egyptian ankh.

NorthernChaosGod
01-21-2013, 08:22 PM
The obvious choice is the Triforce.

qwertysaur
01-22-2013, 04:13 AM
The obvious choice is the Triforce.
The full serpinski triangle fractal is fun. :kaoclove:

I also like this: ξ・∀・)
Cookie if you know what it means. :cookie:

TrollHunter
01-22-2013, 05:37 PM

This, though i sadly dont have much to add

Arizona Lively
01-22-2013, 08:58 PM
The following gestures do not mean what you think they mean:

The Fist is a gesture of rebellion, not rock.
The Hand is a gesture of protection, not paper.
The V sign is a gesture of victory which became a patronizing sarcastic gesture to superiors resulting in it becoming an offensive sign.
The Finger is derived from ancient Greece and symbolizes a phallus, a common symbol of the Illuminati.
The Thumbs Up is derived of the Roman gladiatorial games where, contrary to the believe that an upward-turned thumb meant life and a down-turned thumb meant death, the thumb was used in a miming gesture as if the hand held a sword. Therefore, the thumbs up in its entirety means "death."
The Roc (forming a rhombus with both hands) is a symbol used by the Freemasons.
The Triangle is a symbol used by the Illuminati.
The OK gesture (index on thumb with remaining fingers relaxed) is considered sign of the devil. The sign resembles a stack of three 6s with two rotated slightly to reveal the top portion of each.
The Rock-n'-Roll gesture is considered a sign of the devil resembling goat horns, the goat being the face of the demon Baphomet.

The following symbols are cultist tags:

The lizard is representative of the fact that we are surrounded by reptillians in disguise (like on V).
Vulcans remind of the god by the same name whose own symbol was a smith's hammer, the same symbol used by the Illuminati to express their ultimate authority.
The compass is a symbol of the Freemasons.