PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Why The Compliation Sucks

Laddy
01-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Like, seriously. :colbert:

nirojan
01-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Where to begin? Crisis Core was pretty good, Dirge of Cerberus blows, Advent Children had some really cool fight scenes but the story was god awful (this coming from a hardcore FFVII fan), aaaaaand never played Before Crisis. Oh and Last Order was one Mad House's better productions (if we're including it).

Elly
01-21-2013, 10:27 AM
the only Compilation related problem i have is with Dirge of Cerberus, in the cutscenes Vincent does all kinds of awesome acrobatic maneuvers, but when it gets to actual gameplay due to invisible walls he cant even jump over a 2 foot railing... another possible problem for me is the U.S. never got Before Crisis... other than that the original game was awesome, Advent Children Complete is possibly one of the best stories animated so far by SE and Crisis Core was one of the best games to be released on PSP...
id venture to say that most people that didnt like the compilation are the ones that assumed Cloud was this happy quirky personality despite the fact that everyone you meet in Midgar says otherwise, and the compilation shows he was never like that but closer to how Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge describe him early game; cold, withdrawn, introverted...
maybe for me the Compilation is easier to take cause i didnt make Cloud something he wasnt, i played him to the personality given by the other characters in the game and that stayed consistant throughout the compilation...

maybee
01-21-2013, 10:46 AM
All of the characters felt out of place. Crisis Core was decent/ OK-ish though. But Cloud didn't really feel like " Cloud " and Tifa didn't really feel like " Tifa " and etc etc etc.

Also the stories were really poor. AC basically really didn't really have a story and DOC's story was really blehh.

Forsaken Lover
01-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Crisis Core is obscenely overrated. Nomura injected his fanfiction into the perfect Nibelheim Incident and tarnished it forever.

Advent Children had a really sexy Cloud. Like, dayum. I'd sleep with every boy in that movie. Well, the pretty ones.
I hate the movie because Square released some BS in side material that said Cloud and Sephiroth were dueling for hours. How juvenile.

Dirge of Cerberus has a loli with lightsabers. I can dig it. Lucrecia meanwhile is one of the worst written characters ever in a Square game.

They all have pretty good music.

Wolf Kanno
01-21-2013, 11:59 AM
AC is largely a snuff film for VII fans who just wanted to see a realistic 3D Cloud fight his realistic 3D counterpart Sephiroth but the story is terrible and the whole thing feels like pandering to the lowest denominator.

Crisis Core is a terrible story and mostly feels like a Gackt FFVII fanfiction.

I've yet to bring myself to play Dirge of Cerberus...

Before Crisis plot is just retarded.

Last Order... Is not so bad, outside of Mako eyes Cloud its not as bad as the rest and at least follows the original games plot. It still has some serious wire-fu hi-jinx but whatever...

Squenix's smartest business move in the 2000s was to stop making titles for the Compilation.

NeoCracker
01-21-2013, 01:05 PM
I will give AC this. Rufus was freakin' awesome.

I will still always love the line "A good son would have known". He is so delightfully Dickish.

But yeah, other then that the movies garbage.

Sephex
01-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Wait, so Dirge of Cerberus wasn't a comedy? I thought it was intentional!

Forsaken Lover
01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
You all just don't appreciate how cute Kadaj was.

Raistlin
01-21-2013, 04:30 PM
The only part of the Compilation I've seen/played is AC. I have Dirge of Cerebus somewhere, but never got around to playing it (probably for the best).

I agree with WK on Advent Children. AC was some flashy graphics and cool scenes and yes, there was Sephiroth. But that's all that can be said for it. The story was borderline nonsensical and there was almost nothing in the way of character development; hell, the non-Cloud and Tifa characters only really had cameos.

Citizen Bleys
01-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Beeblebabe's lie subtitles for AC are 100,000x better than the real thing.

Raistlin
01-21-2013, 06:53 PM
I agree with that. AC's existence is justified by those subtitles.

Mercen-X
01-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Dono wayor taking abot.

Citizen Bleys
01-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Prepare to be blown away (http://stormsabrewin.org/liesubtitles/)

Skyblade
01-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Crisis Core is obscenely overrated. Nomura injected his fanfiction into the perfect Nibelheim Incident and tarnished it forever.

Advent Children had a really sexy Cloud. Like, dayum. I'd sleep with every boy in that movie. Well, the pretty ones.
I hate the movie because Square released some BS in side material that said Cloud and Sephiroth were dueling for hours. How juvenile.

Dirge of Cerberus has a loli with lightsabers. I can dig it. Lucrecia meanwhile is one of the worst written characters ever in a Square game.

They all have pretty good music.

Crisis Core, despite being an absolute piece of junk when it comes to gameplay (I'm looking at you, completely random summon system and time freezeing attacks in a real-time game), had one thing it did really well. The characters from FFVII were really, really well portrayed. Zack, Aeris, Sephiroth, Tseng are, for the first half of the game (until Zack gets his emo-hair and throws his personality away), awesome. We actually get to see what Sephiroth the hero was like, and we get to see the great relationship between Zack and Aeris. Even Cloud's pretty good, especially compared to the rest of the Compilation.

But the story, and every character they added, is complete and total crap.

Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus both had pathetic plots in addition to completely misunderstanding Cloud's personality. For that matter, they screwed him up in Kingdom Hearts as well.

The Compilation sucks because it features overcomplicated, nonsensical plots, and frequently gets the main characters and themes from the original game wrong.

Forsaken Lover
01-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Cloud's personality was fine in DOC. He had like, five lines and he wasn't mopey in any of them.

maybee
01-28-2013, 06:59 AM
... But then Dissidia came along.....:mad:

Forsaken Lover
01-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Well that's a whole different load of terrible.

silentenigma
02-04-2013, 05:01 AM
FFVII had artistic vision under leadership that knew how to lead a team towards something great. The game meant something. The compilation, on the other hand, saw individuals of this team placed into undeserved high places with the original competent leadership absent.... Perhaps, if all of the original leadership had remained in place and the team hadn't clearly demonstrated selling out, there could have been a chance for expression similar to that in FFVII. But, as we've seen, these entries don't matter at all; the pandering in them is obvious, and they add nothing to what was already a complete work.

DMKA
02-05-2013, 12:36 AM
I enjoyed AC, and DoC.

In fact, the only thing in the Compilation I don't like is Crisis Core. What a terrible game.

Mercen-X
02-25-2013, 12:56 AM
Sephiroth, Angeal, and Genesis's battle was awesome! (http://en.genzu.net/sen/?n=SephirothJenova,AngealHewley,GenesisRhapsodos)

Depression Moon
02-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Played VII was average in comparison to most of FFs I played
Dirge of Cerberus was terrible in both gameplay and story.
Advent Children had 2 cool fight scenes and that was it.

Never played the Crisis games or watched Last Order.