PDA

View Full Version : Character Spotlight - Rikku

Night Fury
01-22-2013, 12:05 PM
<xml> <o:officedocumentsettings><o:allowpng></o:allowpng></o:officedocumentsettings></xml>
Rammu yht famlusa du dra Eyes on Final Fantasy Lrynyldan Cbudmekrd!
Drec suhdr fa femm pa dymgehk ypuid Rikku!

Wait, there’s something wrong here…. Does anybody read Al Bhed?

At just 15 years old, Rikku is the youngest member of the party in Final Fantasy X, but she really goes to prove that sometimes age has no relevance when it comes to intelligence and heart.

Rikku is the heart and soul of the party; when everyone else has their angst and trouble, Rikku acts like a light in the darkness and a beacon of support. Of course, she’s not without angst of her own. For a while into the Pilgrimage she keeps her Al Bhed background a complete secret from Wakka, who despises the Al Bhed and Machina.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/Rikku.png

She is also Yuna’s cousin, so it is understandable as to why she wanted to stop Yuna’s pilgrimage and protect her. However it wasn’t just Yuna; she tells Tidus on the way to the Macalania Temple that the Al Bhed want to protect all of the Summoners in Spira. It is also Rikku who reveals to Tidus the truth about what happens to the Summoners when they defeat Sin.

“Even if she defeats Sin, it will kill Yunie too, you know?”
“Summoners shouldn’t have to sacrifice themselves, just so the rest of Spira can be happy… Right?”

It could be argued that Yuna is acting on Kantian ‘Duty,’ in which an act of good will is chosen out of good will to another human being(s), but not if it is done because it makes them feel good, or if they wanted to appear virtuous. “Duty involves freely choosing the action.” (Immanuel Kant)

In Yuna’s case, she knows that she has no true obligation to obey her cause, but she knows that she must achieve the outcome. The reason for her action always relates to the outcome – defeating Sin. Rikku doesn’t understand this, and the reason behind the Al Bhed building such huge machina to attack Sin (for example, with the Sinspawn at Mushroom Rock Road) is to try and defeat Sin themselves, to end the ‘Duty’ of the Summoners.

Rikku is the character who often shows the most intelligence, and is the only character who wants to veer away from the traditional method of defeating Sin, at least until she tells Tidus the truth and he wishes to do the same.

As well as bringing spirit to the group outside of battle, in battle she has an amazing array of skills relating to all things technical, with her class being a mixture of Chemist and Thief. Her Overdrive 'Mix' can be pretty deadly if used correctly; you can mix up a cocktail of total carnage, or you can pick something which will defend your party with multiple status changes! “Hyper Mighty Guard” is a firm favourite, casting Haste, Shell, Protect, Regen and Auto-Life on all members of the party, and the cost? Just a Light Curtain and an Amulet.

In terms of usefulness in battle, she is probably down at the bottom end of the scale overall, her physical attacks are very weak unless you max her out on the Sphere Grid, but she is certainly useful for stealing handy items and disassembling Machina bots which occasionally show up in battle.

Her theme music really captures her personality in Final Fantasy X. If you could bottle Rikku's essence, and make it music - Rikku's Theme would definitely be the result. It's not a half-assed piece of music, it's probably one of my own personal favourites from the Final Fantasy X soundtrack. It captures her innocence, curiosity and flair perfectly and to me it certainly seems to convey a lingering sense that there is something else to her.

4hbVr1pmMWU

It's easy to understand why people would criticise Rikku; she falls into that category of character that is young and hyper and sometimes annoying. Other examples from the series are Yuffie and Selphie. But really, Rikku is needed in Final Fantasy X, a world where everything is so dark and at times very twisted. Rikku is a character who brings some joy, and at times sass, to the mix.

In Final Fantasy X-2 she makes a strong reappearance as a main character. Having gotten older and having gained confidence by the bucket load, she is still just as fresh and exciting a character as any other in the Final Fantasy universe, and it's easy to see why so many fans of the series love her. I certainly do!

And that's it for this month! So to spark off some friendly discussion, let’s talk about Rikku! Favourite quotes and moments, favourite dresspheres... Everything! Are you one of these big meanies who don't like Rikku? If so, why? Are you someone who loves Rikku more than any other Final Fantasy character? If so, why?
It's Rikku time!

Mirage
01-22-2013, 12:13 PM
FFX Rikku > FFX-2 Rikku.
Just sayin.

Night Fury
01-22-2013, 12:18 PM
I also prefer her in FFX too!

Mirage
01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
She both dresses better and acts better.

Night Fury
01-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Yeah I wasn't a fan of the thong in X-2 :lol:

Forsaken Lover
01-22-2013, 12:30 PM
I am all for thongs but her personality was intolerable in X-2.

I liked her new, bubbly theme music though.
37-Rikku&#39;s Theme-FFX-2 OST - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPjT_UgmqNI)

Aulayna
01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Her hair in X-2 was *aweeeesome* though. I'd totally have hair like that if, well, it'd actually grow nice and I have hours everyday to style it that way xD

NeoCracker
01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah.... I would go on about everything wrong with Rikku, but I'll not and just point this out.

Rikku is the character who often shows the most intelligence, and is the only character who wants to veer away from the traditional method of defeating Sin,

Auron is against the Traditional Method as well. :p

Night Fury
01-22-2013, 12:46 PM
See I prefer her hair in X, those cute little plaits with the feathers :D

Aulayna
01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
They're really cute too, I just have this thing going on right now for big hair haha xD

Mirage
01-22-2013, 01:42 PM
I wasn't very fond of her hair in X-2 either. I don't remember if her hair was the same in all the dresspheres. In either case, I liked her as a samurai.

Faris
01-22-2013, 03:09 PM
At least in X Rikku's energy and bubbly personality wasn't too over the top... then in X-2 it got pushed into overdrive :chuckle:

Mirage
01-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Yeah, that's the problem.

Forsaken Lover
01-22-2013, 03:35 PM
I think between X and X-2 both her and her brother Brother became addicted to Amphetamines.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/NikKingMan/Brother2.gif

Night Fury
01-22-2013, 03:40 PM
I think between X and X-2 both her and her brother Brother became addicted to Amphetamines.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/NikKingMan/Brother2.gif

Special Al Bhed pills I think.

NeoCracker
01-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Rikku was always a troubled character. Shunned by Society, her and the other Albed were always on hard times, and it was hard for them to cope with the rejection of people that they themselves wanted to help. Riku, like many other of her Al'Bed comrades, turned to cocaine to try to fix the negative emotions.

After the events of X, however, things changed for the Al'Bed. Accepted into Society, many of them had been able to stop their habits and adapt into society. Riku, however, was different. Unlike most Al'bed, she was propelled to a Celebrity status in Spira. With the Wealth and more free time then she had before, the Coke had become more then just something to help dull the pain, but more an integral part of who she was.

It was not long before Riku had become a wreck. On numerous occasions she had tried to sleep with her cousin after taking considerable amounts of cocaine. This isn't even taking into account all the rumors of Riku's night walking activities.

Whats worse is the two people closest to Riku, Yuna and Paine, seem remarkably oblivious to Riku's destructive behavior. In fact, it can be suggested, perhaps this is because of Paine. It is noted the excess behavior of Riku began with Paine's appearance on the scene. While Authorities are investigating the possibility of Paine being connected to some kind of drug ring, no leads have yet turned up.

Forsaken Lover
01-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Shouldn't Riku be having cowboy buttsex with Sora? Why is he ruining Final Fantasy X?

Night Fury
01-22-2013, 03:57 PM
The sad moment when NC's comment is better than the feature xD

Goldenboko
01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Rikku was 15 during FFX? I always go the impression she was young but never that she was 15. I feel like this happens all the time when I play Japanese games, I'm going to innocently continue to believe she was 17 :monster:

NeoCracker
01-22-2013, 04:09 PM
You must feel really creepy for that shrine you keep of her now. :(

Formalhaut
01-22-2013, 04:14 PM
She was 17 in X-2, but I agree, Rikku does not LOOK 15 in X. That's exactly what I said to the police afterwards as well. ;)

I liked Rikku in X better as well; she was alot more thoughtful, while in X-2 she's like a side-attachment to Brother. Damn that Brother.

"DAnCING YunA, I Want TO SeE!!"

His accent, his strange body expressions, and the way he said it justs want me to rip his throat out.

What I find most hilarious about Rikku though in X-2 is that you can go into Gagazet with Rikku freezing to death.

Forsaken Lover
01-22-2013, 04:31 PM
I will now list my favorite Rikku Dressphere looks.
Note: All of these look a billion times sexier in game.

Lady Luck
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/Tyrfing42/Animated/Rikku_Lady-Luck.jpg

If I remember right she has a special move where she blows a kiss... I need to replay X-2.

Samurai
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c199/Scriggu/YRP/Rikku/x2-rikkusamurai-a.jpg

Is there anything more adorable than watching her "oomph" that ridiculously huge katana up when attacking?

Berserker
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy21/RoseHataketheLeo/Rikku/Rikku_Berserker-1.jpg

Watching her breakdance the enemy to death is pretty hot.

Mirage
01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Rikku was always a troubled character. Shunned by Society, her and the other Albed were always on hard times, and it was hard for them to cope with the rejection of people that they themselves wanted to help. Riku, like many other of her Al'Bed comrades, turned to cocaine to try to fix the negative emotions.

After the events of X, however, things changed for the Al'Bed. Accepted into Society, many of them had been able to stop their habits and adapt into society. Riku, however, was different. Unlike most Al'bed, she was propelled to a Celebrity status in Spira. With the Wealth and more free time then she had before, the Coke had become more then just something to help dull the pain, but more an integral part of who she was.

It was not long before Riku had become a wreck. On numerous occasions she had tried to sleep with her cousin after taking considerable amounts of cocaine. This isn't even taking into account all the rumors of Riku's night walking activities.

Whats worse is the two people closest to Riku, Yuna and Paine, seem remarkably oblivious to Riku's destructive behavior. In fact, it can be suggested, perhaps this is because of Paine. It is noted the excess behavior of Riku began with Paine's appearance on the scene. While Authorities are investigating the possibility of Paine being connected to some kind of drug ring, no leads have yet turned up.

Cocaine to dull the pain? Are you... serious?

Or do you mean mental pain.

NeoCracker
01-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Considering the reason listed for the Al'Bed Cocaine addiction I cited was their rejection from the rest of Society, I think Mental Pain is a safe assumption. :p

Freya
01-22-2013, 06:17 PM
I wish rikku would have been an actual party member sooner in the X story. I mean she appears in the beginning but is just kind of thrown in there in the middle.

Formalhaut
01-22-2013, 06:54 PM
I wish rikku would have been an actual party member sooner in the X story. I mean she appears in the beginning but is just kind of thrown in there in the middle.

She is comparatively weak when you get here I agree. Not to mention the only abilities she can use for awhile is steal and use.

~*~Celes~*~
01-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Rikku has always been my favorite character from X and X-2 <3

Mercen-X
01-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Shouldn't Rikku be having cowboy buttsex?

I pictured something very different than what you intended.