PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite to Favorite Final Fantasy

Omni-Odin
01-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Been a little while since one of these was formed, but I'm going to expand the topic a little more than normal. I'm talking every FF you've played/seen (movies) in your life. Numbered or not. Let's get your opinions here.

Mine:

Bottom Tier

FF III

One of my least favorite games not just in the FF world, but overall. I was so excited to hear they were making a US version until it dropped.

FF II

No real reason. Just couldn't get into the awful battle system or the basic story. Liked some of the character plots though.

FF VII:DoC

Don't know where to even begin. Still goes higher for me than II or III because at least it kept me engaged.

FF TSW

I can respect the state of the art graphics of their time. Well done flick, just a terrible plot and bad guy.

FF CC Series

Fun gameplay for about 5 hours, then snoozeville. Nothing to this game but romping around fighting enemies for crystals. Still had more fun on the original game than I did with 2,3,DoC, or TSW.

Nearly bottom Tier

FF I

I like to play this game on my phone as something to tinker with these days. But even in my young years I knew the simplicity of this game's plot and battle system.

FF V

This game is a toss up because I love the job system. Maybe my second favorite version of it in the entire series, but it didn't help this game's character or plot in the end. Was almost like Mystic Quest on Muscle Milk.

FF VII:AC

This movie's action was a step in the right direction from TSW, but the WTF plot really agitated me. Especially as someone who prides himself on knowing pretty much every detail in the ORIGINAL FFVII universe.

FF X-2

Man this game was unnecessary and the plot was a money-driven venture to drag out what, to me, was a great game. But why is it even this high on the list. Gameplay/job/leveling system was probably my favorite in any FF to date. It's the only reason I eventually locked down 100% on it.

FF TA

Would have liked this game a lot more had judge rules never existed. I don't build characters for hours just so I can't use their best abilities in a battle. Still, a fun story and characters if you can get into playing as a child again.

FFXIII

Say whaaa???!!! This high on the list?! Ya, I can play this game over and over. It's short and sweet and if you don't like the story, then you don't like it. The game had it's many faults (character motivation, plotholes, a distant villian, linear walkways, linear character progression), but I can still enjoy it for what it is.

FF XIII-2

Where to start? The battle system is hardly improved, the crystarium is hardly improved, the plot is just...just...just awful. Makes no sense. Even XIII's made more sense. But that's not why this game is all the way up here. It's because of the monster building (I'm an F-ing master), the side quests, the ultimate weapons, Serendipity, multiple endings...

FF VII:CC

Didn't like the overall plot and how much they changed (or added if that's what you want to tell yourself) to what the original story was supposed to be. Gameplay and sidequests were good and I think the end is perfectly executed The way you just have to eventually give up to beat the game. Kind of a sad deal

We're Getting Warmer Tier

FF VII:LO

May be just a short little anime, but it held true to the original game and was fantastically done. I definitely enjoyed watching it.

FF VI

And boom goes the dynamite for like half the forum. As I've said in past threads, this game does not do nearly as much for me as it does for other players. The plot was great, don't get me wrong, but the characters are weak to me (Save for maybe the twins and Celes). Locke is like a thief version of Snow except he's a "thief", not a "hero". I think Terra sucks and needs to react in a little different of a manner when you YOU JUST FIGURED OUT YOU HAVE SUPERPOWERS dammit. Ok now that I think about it Cyan kicks a**. Peoples obsession with Shadow is not warranted imo. Anyways, I think there are so many things keeping this game out of my next tier. But the things that keep it there are Kefka, the plot, the character stat and skill development, and the dungeons/environments. Still love the game for all these reasons. I just don't have the emotional attachment to call it the top tier, let alone the best.

FF IX

This game is so much fun, but still so many things held it back. For one, the main character could have been anyone with Zidane's personality. Instead they make him a monkey boy. The plot in this game is great until the final minute before the last FMV where you fight maybe the most WTF final boss in FF history while having to read Star Wars lines roll across the screen. I love the skill progression system using the equipped items to learn abilites. Gives you an actual reason to pick up those not so hot items you would have otherwise left. All characters are amazingly great and deep save for two. Amarant and Quina suck imo. I don't mean to say Quina's backstory sucked btw. I found it to be very sweet, but I think the character itself sucked.

FF XII

This game really grew on me over the years. When I first played it, I did every sidequest, every hunt, basically everything that would stall storyline and when I finished, I didn't care about the characters, story, gameplay, nothing. I would have put it into the "nearly bottom tier". After reading some really positive reviews, I decided to go back and play it. Now it's one of my favorites. Balthier is one of my favorite characters of all time. I think Vayne is a great, albeit distant villian. The gameplay was a cool shift in the norm. And Ivalice never looked better.

We're on fire!!!

FFVIII

I must be part of a weird subspecies of Final Fantasy fans who find this game to be enthralling plotwise, character-wise, setting-wise, gameplay-wise. I love this game. Can't really explain it. I think the antagonists are great. I don't understand why people didn't like the story. What's hard to understand about GFs affecting the memory of the kids at the orphanage? Ok well maybe the fact that they all somehow meet up again later....NEVERMIND. I don't care, this game rules and is a blast to playthrough. Best FF pre-title CG introduction.

FF Tactics

One of the most amazing stories told in the history of story-telling imo. To me, this is the best version of a strategy RPG of all time. What holds it back? Almost nothing except for the fact that it should have a number right next to the Final Fantasy title.

FFIV

The one and only. Three or four different worlds to explore, the moon plot, Golbez, Kain. The betrayals, the plot twists. I just loved this game. It was amazing. Perfect gameplay, clean 2D graphics, some great side things to do. 3rd best in my book.

FFX

This game also rules. I think this was the perfect balance between ability to explore and/or continue the storyline. You can do most of the sidequests as the game is going on, but they don't let you get too far off the beaten path or give you too small of an area to explore. I loved blitzball, Sin, Tidus' story, and I was totally immersed from the first time I saw Spira. This is also one of my favorite battle systems though I know some people don't like it. I thought it was a cool way to give the player a chance to prioritize during battle plus you can substitute characters mid-battle. I also thought the end was brilliant and by far my favorite in the series. FMV graphics still rival new games today.

FFVII

The bane of most people's FF existence cannot be topped by my standards as I've been waiting for that to happen for a lonnnnggg time. Let me get this out of the way : CAIT SITH is TERRIBLE. Reeve on the other hand is not. Why couldn't Reeve just be an undercover HUMAN officer is beyond me. Anyways...I loved basically everything about this game. Some people may like a lighthearted romp through a game, but i just like the atmosphere here. I'm not a huge steampunk type person, but because this was kind of my first venture into that realm, I just loved it. (Oh and btw, if VII is steampunk, so is VI). It was dark, emotionally driven, funny, had great characters, an amazing cast of bad guys (not just Sephiroth), and by the end I just wanted to kill that mofo dead. I played back when we didn't know about that good old "End of First Disk" plot twist that's still talked about today and I was just stunned (mainly because I was like, "But what happens to all her inventory" ;)) I don't know, there's something about this game that gets me.

And that's all there is to it. Although this list is separated into tiers, I still went from Least Favorite (top) to Favorite (bottom) game by game. You don't have to do it that way or even give an explanation for your opinion. So let us know, after the :confused: that was FFXIII-2 has your favorites list changed at all?