PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

Night Fury
01-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Hello!!

I'm looking into buying myself a tablet because I think it would come in super handy for me, to keep all my stuff organised and in one place and handbag sized and stuff.

So, to all you tech-savvy people, do you have a tablet? which ones would you recommend? which ones would you steer me away from?

At the moment I'm looking at the Samsung Note and the Nexus Google tab!

Citizen Bleys
01-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Stay away from the Kindle Fire. It fails at everything. It even sucks as an e-reader, and when you try to do anything else with it, it just basically says "smurf off you dirty foreigner" because the same damn credit card that's good enough for every other American merchant in the universe isn't good enough for a Kindle Fire because it's issued to a Canadian address.

smurf Kindle Fire. smurf it.

Shlup
01-23-2013, 09:49 PM
I have a 1st generation Nook, though that's not really a tablet. I specifically wanted something with eink because I wanted an ebook, but LCD screens are not easy on the eyes. For tablet things... that's what my phone is for. Why not just get a smart phone?

Night Fury
01-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Stay away from the Kindle Fire. It fails at everything. It even sucks as an e-reader, and when you try to do anything else with it, it just basically says "smurf off you dirty foreigner" because the same damn credit card that's good enough for every other American merchant in the universe isn't good enough for a Kindle Fire because it's issued to a Canadian address.

I was originally gonna get that, because at first I wanted a kindle so I wouldn't have to take books with me and could have them all on a kindle... but then I actually saw it and it just seems so.... clunky!

I have a 1st generation Nook, though that's not really a tablet. I specifically wanted something with eink because I wanted an ebook, but LCD screens are not easy on the eyes. For tablet things... that's what my phone is for. Why not just get a smart phone?

There's a chance I won't be taking my phone with me due to the contract on it, and it being cheaper to transfer my contract to my sister

Citizen Bleys
01-23-2013, 09:58 PM

I was originally gonna get that, because at first I wanted a kindle so I wouldn't have to take books with me and could have them all on a kindle... but then I actually saw it and it just seems so.... clunky!

Get a real Kindle. They're easier to read and not hopelessly jingoistic.

Jowy
01-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Buddy of mine has a <a href=http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/GT-P3113TSYXAR>Galaxy Tab 2</a> and she absolutely loves it. What do you plan on using it for the most overall?

Night Fury
01-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Buddy of mine has a Galaxy Tab 2 (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/GT-P3113TSYXAR) and she absolutely loves it. What do you plan on using it for the most overall?

I'm not really sure. When I'm away it will be a mixture of social networking and I guess doing Journalism related things on the move using some creative apps.

Jowy
01-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Buddy of mine has a Galaxy Tab 2 (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/GT-P3113TSYXAR) and she absolutely loves it. What do you plan on using it for the most overall?

I'm not really sure. When I'm away it will be a mixture of social networking and I guess doing Journalism related things on the move using some creative apps.

You'll be set with that then. Just be sure to pick up the 30 pin > USB connector to properly plug in a keyboard. Everything else should be easily managed with the touch screen interface.

Shorty
01-23-2013, 10:24 PM
The only reason I'd be interested in a tablet is to watch movies/shows without lugging my laptop around. Otherwise, it just seems like a hassle/pain in the ass with typing on the screen and the keyboard extension.

Slothy
01-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Buddy of mine has a <a href=http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/GT-P3113TSYXAR>Galaxy Tab 2</a> and she absolutely loves it. What do you plan on using it for the most overall?

If you're going to go with a tablet right now then I'd take a Google Nexus over the Galaxy Tab 2. Better hardware all around and the latest version of Android. Unless you want to get some sort of mobile data plan with it since I don't think that's an option with the Nexus tablets. If you're only ever going to use it for the portability and stick to wi-fi for internet though then it's better in every other respect I can name.

My wife just got the Google Nexus 7 and it's pretty cool. Not the same thing as the 10 mind you (Asus makes the 7 and Samsung the 10 with some pretty significant hardware differences between the two) but the thing is nice and powerful and the new version of Android is pretty cool I have to say.

Futan
01-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Don't have one. I think the Nexus 7 and the Tab 2 are the best of the 'cheaper' tablets. I've heard good things about the Asus Transformer series but I think they compete more with the iPad in terms of price.

Raistlin
01-23-2013, 11:41 PM
I don't have a tablet, if only because I can't justify getting one considering I have a laptop, smartphone, and Nook. I do want one, though. I'll probably cave eventually, once they're ubiquitous enough that they fall in price more.

Miriel
01-24-2013, 12:07 AM
I have the first gen ipad and I wasn't sure when I first got it just how often I would use it. I mean, I knew I wanted one and it would come in handy for meetings and such. But I use my tablet every single day. I use it more than my desktop. It's starting to act wonky on me though and I think it's time for an upgrade.