PDA

View Full Version : Mister or Missus/Miss

Agent Proto
01-24-2013, 03:37 AM
How comfortable are you with people calling you Mr. or Mrs./Ms. (Your Last Name)?

I find it a little weird when most people do, but I usually respond if I know they are talking to me, since it doesn't exactly bother me. I still prefer to be called by my first name though. :P

Shlup
01-24-2013, 03:42 AM
I prefer it. I love to hear that people know they don't deserve to address me by my given name.

fire_of_avalon
01-24-2013, 03:43 AM
It's only Ms. Powell if you're nasty.

Faris
01-24-2013, 03:48 AM
Someone once addressed me as "Mrs." I was less than impressed. :argh:

Flaming Ice
01-24-2013, 04:05 AM
Doesn't bother me which they say.

Unless they read off my cards....they shouldn't say anything at all :(

Raistlin
01-24-2013, 04:08 AM
Considering that's what everyone calls me by professionally nowadays (clients, judges, prosecutors, etc.), I've gotten used to it.

Shorty
01-24-2013, 04:14 AM
My clique does it out of love at my work, but if people do it otherwise it makes me feel old and then I get cranky.

Mercen-X
01-24-2013, 04:28 AM
I don't really like my last name. I especially hate it combined with Mister. If they want to address me by my last name, then drop the mister. I prefer people call me by my first name, but my feelings are mixed recently. I used to find it disrespectful for people to shorten my name, but now I feel like people who are closer to me shouldn't feel uncomfortable doing so, but then again, the people I care about the most I feel should call me by my given name as proof that they care the same for me. It's all so complicated (and perpetuated by experience).

Tigmafuzz
01-24-2013, 04:29 AM
Most people just call me "Pruitt." :|

People that don't know me well usually just address me as "sir." I've never gotten a mister outside of being called into the doctor's office or something.

Araciel
01-24-2013, 04:48 AM
"When you're this big.. "

But in reality people don't call me mr unless they want a knuckle sammich

Flaming Ice
01-24-2013, 04:52 AM

With a bit of mayo please, mister!

Tigmafuzz
01-24-2013, 05:22 AM

With a bit of mayo please, mister!

hnnng

Citizen Bleys
01-24-2013, 07:23 AM
I am fortunate in that nobody alive can pronounce my last name, so this is not a problem for me.

Aulayna
01-24-2013, 08:16 AM
I love my last name so I love it when people do this. Ain't no man gonna take my last name away if we get married either.

NorthernChaosGod
01-24-2013, 08:24 AM
It doesn't bother me. I used to work at Vons and they encouraged you to address the customer by their last name all the time, so I got used to it by shopping there.

Yar
01-24-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm not used to it, but that's probably because I am called "-san" more often than anything.

Mister makes me feel like I'm forty, recently divorced, and balding. :( Or makes me feel like I'm in trouble.

Psychotic
01-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Some of my older clients do it and I think "Oh... you mean me!"

Pike
01-24-2013, 10:47 AM
I hate it, but then again I hate my name.

I also hate when people call me "ma'am."

I wish I was a guy so I could be "sir", that's much classier.

Night Fury
01-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I never get called Miss Anderson, unless I'm on the phone to the bank or the electric company or something. I hate it, even when I was thinking about pursuing going into teaching, I wanted to be one of those teachers who insists people call me by my first name.

Mirage
01-24-2013, 02:43 PM
This thing nearly doesn't exist in Norway. Even in professional life. You might hear people use your last name, but adding Mr. or Ms. in front of it is even rarer.

The only times I hear it used is when people are trying to be funny or sarcastic in some way.

Pumpkin
01-24-2013, 05:42 PM
I don't like it because I don't like my last name and it has the added bonus of if they don't speak French, they can't pronounce it so it turns into this long process of me telling them how it's pronounced about 3 or 4 times (even though I know it will do absolutely no good, they still insist on this) and then them still not even being able to get the first syllable right.

Ever since I've been dating, people have sometimes called me Mrs.[boyfriend's last name] and that I have never had a problem with.

Raistlin
01-25-2013, 12:41 AM
I am fortunate in that nobody alive can pronounce my last name, so this is not a problem for me.

I thought everyone was just supposed to call you Mr. Fuck-a-duck.

Jowy
01-25-2013, 12:44 AM
"Mister Dabrowski" sounds awesome so I encourage anyone that addresses me in that manner.

Shiny
01-28-2013, 02:43 AM
I get called Mrs. T a lot. I pity a fool. :(

~*~Celes~*~
01-28-2013, 03:31 AM
I'm used to it. It's so rare for a customer to call me by my first name, and since our name badges don't display our last names, "Mrs. Wallace" is never heard :( (except in the bedroom :D) one of our regulars called me "love" until I had my baby, now he calls me "momma." it's a little weird, but not the worst thing he could call me.