PDA

View Full Version : Your "role" in gaming

Shauna
01-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Whenever I play games with Mr Shauna or my friends, we all tend to fall into distinct roles in game.

I'm tend to play tank. I'll be the one attacking head on, in the middle of a throng of enemies. It was once said to me during a game of L4D2 that they could tell where I was because it was just a mass of zombies. Melee and short-range weapons (and a lot of support because oh god I die/down all the time due to massive lack of skill) are all I need.

Mr Shauna prefers long-range combat - using snipers or magic, for example - keeping out of the danger zone.

What about you guys? Find yourself playing a certain "role" in games?

Bolivar
01-24-2013, 08:27 PM
I play DotA with my friends everynight, but we always random so we're constantly changing roles, except for nirojan from EoFF, who's ALWAYS drow ranger (and playing long stretches of games without dying). I tend to be a jack of all trades in loadout-based shooters as well, I use all the primary weapon types, equipment, and perks in Call of Duty with about even consistency.

In class-based shooters like Killzone and Team Fortress I primarily play support, healing and reviving teammates to overwhelm the opposition and lock down any area I go.

In RPGs, like the Pathfinder campaign we're playing (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/146109-eyes-final-fantasy-plays-dungeons-dragons-pathfinder.html) right now on EoFF, I'm almost always a mostly tanky frontline player. I just can't see myself relying primarily on magic, I have to hit and to be hit.

Wait, I didn't mean it to put it like that, I mean, only in RPGs!!!

Laddy
01-24-2013, 08:43 PM
In RPG's, I'm the talker.

In TF2, I'm the Spy.

Basically, I screw people over.

theundeadhero
01-24-2013, 09:05 PM
The hardest hitting melee DPS.

Pike
01-24-2013, 09:09 PM
In MMO I go ranged

In single player RPGs I go full on monster warrior

In strategy games I usually try to be the negotiator but sometimes I just wanna conquer everything (*´・v・)

TrollHunter
01-24-2013, 09:15 PM
I usually play ranged
Or melee/support
Giving buffs while also being able to take hits and take aggro
Its a fun role that fits me well, especially the latter as it can be very varied

Mirage
01-24-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm very often a healer/support class in MMOs.

Other typical Mirage classes are thief/assassin/ninja/whatever it is called in each particular game. In FF11, I play Dancer a lot, because it is evasive and very good at keeping itself alive without support from other players. WHenever I start playing a new game, I am very likely to look very closely at the classes with high agility and/or dexterity.

Sometimes I like being ranged dps too, it depends on the mechanics of each game. I like playing Maria in SO3 for instance, and hunter/sniper in Ragnarok Online, but I don't really like Ranger in FF11.

Of course, sometimes I am just in the mood for getting up close and personal with a greataxe, katana or polearm.

In strategy games, I often choose sides that offer a lot in espionage, reconnaissance and intelligence to gain the upper hand in battle, rather than just brute force.

Futan
01-24-2013, 11:29 PM
In MMOs, frontline damage dealer.

In RPGs, usually thief-like character. Mainly due to the utility of them.

In FPSs, usually snipers. But I also play the tank sometimes as Shauna put it. XD

Jowy
01-25-2013, 12:56 AM
MMOs - tank type or melee damage. Tanking preferred.
RPGs - gimme a big two handed sword and i'll wreck everything in my path.
FPS - fast guns with low damage output, high mobility.

Shorty
01-25-2013, 01:22 AM
Long-range, as often as possible. Quick and quiet with my sniper rifle.

I like being a stealthy, sneaky character, but I refuse to do melee of any kind unless forced (damn you, Silent Hill).

Raistlin
01-25-2013, 01:25 AM
In RPGs, I usually prefer black mage-type characters. I've always had a preference for magic.

I try to do the same in MMOs, but I'll also be a long-ranged/mid-level fighter, because those are generally the easiest classes to be able to do stuff on your own.

Skyblade
01-25-2013, 04:35 AM
In MMORPG's, I'm the Evasion Tank. The Duelist, the Dancer, the Artist. I have to be up front and close to my opponent in these games. Tanking is the only real role for me. DPS and Heals are too impersonal, you lose touch with the combat in large scale fights. As a tank, everything else vanishes. There's no support, no other players. There's just the foe and me. It's close, personal, visceral. The beauty and artistry of combat. The flow from one move into another, striking with precision while dodging with grace.

In Shooters, I'm a Sniper. I am the merciless efficiency. There is no chivalry, there is no fairness. There's just me and the gap between my rifle and the head of my foe. One shot, one kill. Preferably from a mile away.

Mirage
01-25-2013, 05:57 AM
Healers aren't impersonal when you heal in smaller fights :p, like 10 or below.

Pumpkin
01-25-2013, 06:03 AM
Offensive magic dealer, like a black mage. It kind of makes sense for my personality because I am physically weak and I'm not very confrontational, but I'm not a doormat either. Almost any game I play with an offensive magic dealer they are usually a good bit higher in level and you can tell they have a lot more put into them. I just enjoy playing that character. I used to think maybe a black/white mage because I obsessively heal (below 60% of full HP is too low) but as far as me personally, I'm just not as passionate about healers. I would, however, prefer to be a healer than say a tank. Physical is not at all my strong suit. Barring a magic user, I would say something like archer or sniper.

Anyways, the point of all that was in the first sentence.

Mirage
01-25-2013, 06:35 AM
Well it's a game so you can be things that are completely different from what you actually are :p.

I'm not exactly a squishy catgirl whitemage in real life :). :(...

Pete for President
01-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Tactician might be the right word.

In on-line FPS I'm all about the objectives. For example, I always carry smoke grenades when I play CoD with my roommate and I can easily resist chasing enemies I don't need to kill if that means getting to the objective quicker.

In RPG's stuff gets varied. I plan a lot nonetheless, and I tend to be melee based because it usually just feels more intense than a back-row mage. It heavily depends on the kind of RPG, but mostly I stop and think up a strategy rather than a trial and error or grindy approach.

Araciel
01-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Support class.

Masamunemaster
01-26-2013, 11:20 AM
MMO's-DD
shooters-sniper
Rpg- tend to stay sniper, if not assassin

Loony BoB
01-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Whenever I play games with Mr Shauna or my friends, we all tend to fall into distinct roles in game.

I'm tend to play tank. I'll be the one attacking head on, in the middle of a throng of enemies. It was once said to me during a game of L4D2 that they could tell where I was because it was just a mass of zombies. Melee and short-range weapons (and a lot of support because oh god I die/down all the time due to massive lack of skill) are all I need.

Mr Shauna prefers long-range combat - using snipers or magic, for example - keeping out of the danger zone.

What about you guys? Find yourself playing a certain "role" in games?
This is the same for Danielle and myself - I end up being the tank/brawler/charger, she ends up being the mage/archer/sniper. Almost every time! I enjoy it that way, though, it works well for us. When it comes to crafts, she goes for weaving/leatherworking, I go for blacksmith/armourer. It's kind of a natural thing for us to know what the other person will do, and do the opposite so we're well balanced. xD

Skyblade
01-26-2013, 06:46 PM
I'm not exactly a squishy catgirl whitemage in real life :). :(...

*Sigh*

Another dream shattered. :D

Mirage
01-26-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm good at pretending to be one, though.

Psychotic
01-26-2013, 09:51 PM
You'll find me where the fighting is thickest, stemming the tide.

escobert
01-27-2013, 05:45 AM
I generally play some sort of offensive support. Which is why I make a good Guardian in GW2! :D

Masamunemaster
01-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Seeing all of this makes me want to play something like prefect world again, but I would like to get all of us on it. This may end up being a different thread in my head for later;)

Rantz
01-27-2013, 12:09 PM
I definitely tend to pick ranged when it's available. I don't enjoy being within close range of things that hurt! Other than that I generally lean towards sneak/rogue builds and like to favour speed/agility over strength. On the mental side I tend to favour charisma and diplomacy.

It's often fun to change it up, though. Can't be too predictable!

escobert
01-28-2013, 11:26 PM
In MMORPG's, I'm the Evasion Tank. The Duelist, the Dancer, the Artist. I have to be up front and close to my opponent in these games. Tanking is the only real role for me. DPS and Heals are too impersonal, you lose touch with the combat in large scale fights. As a tank, everything else vanishes. There's no support, no other players. There's just the foe and me. It's close, personal, visceral. The beauty and artistry of combat. The flow from one move into another, striking with precision while dodging with grace.

In Shooters, I'm a Sniper. I am the merciless efficiency. There is no chivalry, there is no fairness. There's just me and the gap between my rifle and the head of my foe. One shot, one kill. Preferably from a mile away.

I hate anyone who uses a sniper rifle in FPS. Stop camping and play the damn game :mad2:

Skyblade
01-28-2013, 11:36 PM

I hate anyone who uses a sniper rifle in FPS. Stop camping and play the damn game :mad2:

If I played PvP, you'd be allowed to be mad at me. But I don't.

Mirage
01-29-2013, 12:16 AM

Stop being a sitting duck B)

Bolivar
01-29-2013, 12:45 AM
I LOVE getting into sniper duels, whether back in the day in Team Fortress Classic or twenty minutes from now in Black Ops II.

Loony BoB
01-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Agreed when it's PvP. I think they should only allow people to be snipers if they severely restrict the available ammunition for snipers. If they can respawn with ammunition, restrict it even further.

Mirage
01-29-2013, 12:51 PM
ITT: Butthurt non-snipers
:D

Værn
01-29-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm usually a spellcaster in single-player RPGs, and either a tank or a mage in MMOs.
I fail at FPSs, so I don't have a specific role for them.