PDA

View Full Version : The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Night Fury
01-24-2013, 08:39 PM
This week for my Cult TV and Film class, I was told to watch Rocky Horror.

I have never seen it all the way through, I vaguely recall watching it at a sleepover when I was younger, but I think we just talked and gossiped all the way through it!

So, lets talk about it! I have a seminar class tomorrow on it, so if I could discuss it with you awesome lot, I'd be better prepared I think!!

So, to discuss!
Do you like this movie?
What's your favourite part?
Favourite song?
Have you ever seen the live show?

Also, relevant.

Laddy
01-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Uh, watch it? Like, now.

Seriously though, this film is fucking fantastic and proof Tim Curry is probably god.

Night Fury
01-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Uh, watch it? Like, now.

Seriously though, this film is smurfing fantastic and proof Tim Curry is probably god.

I'm going too ^_^ It's on Netflix so I'm going to settle in bed and watch it now :D

Psychotic
01-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Don't dream it, be it.

qwertysaur
01-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Lets do the time warp again.

Shorty
01-24-2013, 09:24 PM
You have to watch it with other people and/or in a theater to get the full effect! This is something that cannot be passed up on!

I watched it with friends the first time and it was glorious. I plan to go see it live when I move later this year, although I am terrified of the possibility of being pulled onstage.

Time Warp was my favorite song for a long time, but it has since become a tie between Science Fiction Double Feature and Over at the Frankenstein Place.

Posted in the midst of Rob and I's Rocky Horror facebook serenade a little while ago, but still relevant:
iNO7KRBD5jU

also I love love love this trivia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_Fiction/Double_Feature)

NeoCracker
01-24-2013, 09:27 PM
God this movie is awesome on so many levels. I'll go with Science Fiction as a personal favorite song, followed by Hot Patootie. Meat Loaf is fucking sweet.

Faris
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
In just seven days, I can make you a man.

Shorty
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
omg can we do an EoFF viewing this weekend

Psychotic
01-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Time Warp was my favorite song for a long time, but it has since become a tie between Science Fiction Double Feature and Over at the Frankenstein Place.You're alright Sarah. You're alright. :up:

Pike
01-24-2013, 09:58 PM
FPzhYhuQXZY

Time Warp always and forever

I don't care what anyone says

Ouch!
01-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Bitch!

Slut!

Where's your fucking neck?

Night Fury
01-24-2013, 10:32 PM
*Just finished watching the movie*

O......kay

Shauna
01-24-2013, 10:36 PM
That doesn't sound positive.

Psychotic
01-24-2013, 10:41 PM
*Just finished watching the movie*

O......kayEyes on fiction
double feature
BoB has built and lost his creature
Darkness has conquered poor Lockharted
She was in the room when Shorty farted
Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh
At the Gen Chat double feature Eyes on show
Jowy and Cloooooooooo
To the Gen Chat double feature Eyes on show.

Man the reprise has always been so depressing.

Night Fury
01-24-2013, 10:43 PM

I'm just trying to take it all in, process it all.
It was jazzy though, very jazzy.

Shorty
01-24-2013, 11:20 PM
see androids fighting

AND smurfING

AND SUCKING

on Yar and Bunny

Tigmafuzz
01-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Lets do the time warp again.

Jowy
01-25-2013, 12:40 AM
Fun fact: I used to live two blocks from the <a href=http://www.yelp.com/biz/oriental-theatre-milwaukee>Oriental Theatre</a> which played Rocky Horror once a week, every week. They are also hold the world record for continual showings of Rocky Horror! Great flick. Better with participation!

NorthernChaosGod
01-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Rocky Horror is awesome, but it's best when viewed with a live cast.

Værn
01-25-2013, 09:00 AM

It's a group thing. For best results, it should be watched with a large group, and with a bag of props to throw at the movie screen once the appropriate cues appear in the movie.
If you watched it alone and/or without the audience participation shenanigans, you did it wrong.

Night Fury
01-25-2013, 11:25 AM

It's a group thing. For best results, it should be watched with a large group, and with a bag of props to throw at the movie screen once the appropriate cues appear in the movie.
If you watched it alone and/or without the audience participation shenanigans, you did it wrong.

:( I just... I just have no friends :(

Denmark
01-25-2013, 12:37 PM
then just enjoy it for the smurfing spectacle of magic it is

enjoy it purely from a musical sense. every song is smurfing brilliant. the context helps but there are some ridiculously clever lines in there.

also you're welcome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unl1MxubYN8) (i'm aware it's not complete :( find me a complete one on youtube kthx)

it's 7:30 in the morning and for some ungodly reason i'm awake and now i have to listen to the soundtrack before i can sleep. Thanks, guys

Værn
01-25-2013, 12:41 PM

:( I just... I just have no friends :(
I'm sorry to have made you realize that. I'll be your friend :D
That being said, Shorty's suggestion of an EoFF viewing is probably the closest you'll get to properly experiencing The Rocky Horror Picture Show, short of searching for a theater that screens it regularly or having a movie night of your own.

Araciel
01-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Dammit, Janet!

Breine
01-25-2013, 11:31 PM
I dig The Rocky Horror Picture Show on so many levels, and it is a great movie for many reasons. Tim Curry is definitely one of them. He's wonderful in it.

Shlup
01-26-2013, 12:50 AM
The Rocky Horror Picture Show is about freedom, and I find its message of letting go to be inspiring. I've loved it since I was a teenager, and, yes, I've been to a live show, which is an exciting experience.

DK
01-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Anything involving Richard O'Brien is pretty much god tier as far as i'm concerned. :heart:

Night Fury
01-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Not going to lie, I was slightly sexually attracted to Tim Curry in it. He rocked.

Tigmafuzz
01-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Not going to lie, I was slightly sexually attracted to Tim Curry in it. He rocked.

Slightly? WATCH IT AGAIN.

Sephex
01-26-2013, 10:56 PM
I have never seen the movie, but I have seen a play version of it. So when Rocky Horror fans learn this, they go, "You're still a virgin!" I then inform them that at the end one of the cast announced that seeing the play counted, and that people who haven't seen the movie is no longer a virgin. This usually frustrates bigger fans of the movie, I have learned.

DMKA
01-27-2013, 03:29 PM
I've heard the soundtrack countless times, but never actually saw the movie.

Shiny
01-28-2013, 03:34 AM
I feel this is fitting to share. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25234720/Time%20Warp_Psy%26Shiny_1-2.aif)

blackmage_nuke
01-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Seen the movie once, didnt get it.

Loved Time Warp though.

Quindiana Jones
01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
ELBOW SEX! ELBOW SEX!

Jinx
02-06-2013, 04:54 AM
Two hours of my life I can never get back.

Shoeberto
02-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Science Fiction Double Feature and Rose Tint My World are the best two songs. It's an absolute classic of weirdness and I love it.

Jinx
02-07-2013, 08:34 PM
The Locky Horror Picture Show

Psychotic
02-07-2013, 09:32 PM
I feel this is fitting to share. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25234720/Time%20Warp_Psy%26Shiny_1-2.aif)hahahah how long ago was that now?

IT'S JUST A JUMP TO THE LEFT

Iceglow
02-07-2013, 11:56 PM
I want to do the Rocky Horror Picture Show Sing-A-Long at the Prince Charles Cinema Leicester Square one year but the tickets sell out so damn fast!

Yeargdribble
02-08-2013, 06:48 PM
If you haven't ever seen it live and get a chance to do so... DO IT!!

It's a totally different experience live with people shouting things at the stage.

For example, the narrator says something about "there were storm clouds" followed by "heavy, dark, pendulous." In a live show, before the second part someone in the audience might shout "Describe your balls!!" ...."Heavy, dark, pendulous."

If you've got a really talented cast, they can play with the audience a lot. The narrator specifically can break the fourth wall to make the show way more interesting.

The theatre company I play for does the show annually and has even thought about doing it more frequently. Sadly, there is no trumpet part, but there are extra keyboard parts. I might try to play keyboards for the show some year.