PDA

View Full Version : Do you think FFIV is overrated or underrated?

Wolf Kanno
01-25-2013, 10:51 PM
This is one of those games where it gets named drop a lot by journalist and nostalgic fans but it seems like the general fan population is pretty neutral about this game. So is FFIV a title that has been praised more than it deserves by a nostalgic generation of gamers who didn't know any better, or is actually a wonderful game that really changed the tone of the FF series and is overshadowed by later titles or fan wangst?

Mirage
01-26-2013, 09:34 AM
It's probably a tiny bit overrated.

maybee
01-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Both ?

It doesn't really have a out there fanbase like FF VII or FF X but SE sure does love to reboot it on every new handheld console.

Forsaken Lover
01-26-2013, 10:34 AM
It was good for the time and a lot of it still holds up as a fairly well-executed, if simplistic, story. It has a lot of memorable moments and an awesome soundtrack.

I have seen plenty of backlash against it though, especially when it comes to everything on the Moon and afterward. Those are fair criticisms but I for one was not upset at all to have all our dead party members back. Tellah was the best character and had the best sacrifice and it stuck so I have no complaints.

NeoCracker
01-27-2013, 10:57 PM
I actually think this game gets reactions all over the spectrum from hated to their favorite FF. Considering the game itself, I actually think the different reactions to FF IV are fair. So I go with Neither.

black orb
01-28-2013, 05:16 AM
>>> Is not overrated by the fans, thats sure..:luca:

Maybe a little by SE since they made a sequel.

And of course totally overrated by that stupid IGN ranking.

The Man
01-28-2013, 06:08 AM
Both. The gameplay is overrated (it's really simplistic and while it provided a number of innovations that the series would re-use constantly after this point, it is by far the least elegant implementation of these features in the series up until at least the PS2 era); the story and characters are underrated.

TrollHunter
01-28-2013, 07:39 PM
My only real complaint with the game ia that if a character dies he/she needs to stay dead. They used sacrifices so much you knew that they only did it so you can get a new party member
Also, on some versions of the game the atb gauge can be quite glitchy
I dont think its overrated though, its a solid entrance in the franchise.

Roogle
01-30-2013, 12:45 AM
I think in some ways it is overrated as it has been remade and reskinned so many times with only two of those entries providing an actual different gameplay experience: the Nintendo DS remake and Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.

I would rather see more attention given to other titles in the series so that they, too, may see a different gameplay experience like the Nintendo DS version offered a new generation of gamers.

Evastio
01-30-2013, 01:30 AM
No Final Fantasy will ever be as overrated as VI. At least VII has more than enough hate to balance out the fanboys. I'd even bet that most of the people that hate FFIV and claim it's overrated are FFVI fanboys butthurt over FFVI not getting as many releases or acknowledgement from Square Enix as FFIV (they already do that for every FF past and including VII). Bashing on FFVII and its compilation isn't enough for those rabid Kefka fanboys...

Let's hope Square Enix continues to spite them and turn a deaf ear on them...

At least EoFF is quite free of any fanboys that are that drastic.

Anyways, FFVI hate aside, I wouldn't say FFIV is overrated. I can see why people wouldn't like it for being too linear and simplistic, but quite a few FFs also suffer from the same issue. Even disregarding the graphic and sound improvements from being on the SNES rather than NES, it was quite a leap from the first three FFs with a heavy focus on story, the ATB system, bosses that changed form mid-battle, among other things.

The Man
01-30-2013, 02:09 AM
>says FFVII has "enough hate" while FFVI doesn't
>posts outright hate towards FFVI

there are plenty of FFVI haters here; if you haven't seen them you haven't been paying attention