PDA

View Full Version : What genres are you the best at?

Wolf Kanno
01-25-2013, 11:00 PM
So what gaming genres do you consider yourself to be pretty really good in?

I like to think I'm good RPGs Rhythm Games, and action titles. I'm pretty decent with Fighting games and puzzle titles as well.

Araciel
01-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Minesweeper

Bolivar
01-26-2013, 02:28 AM
I'm kinda good at shooters. Some matches I'm abysmal, some matches I perform phenomenally. It's all about mood, getting into a groove, and who I'm playing against, but I think I'm pretty good.

RTS games are really tough, but I'm pretty quick to get up to speed with the meta game and maximizing my APM.

JRPGs I'm good with sinking my teeth into the number system and optimizing characters, but I'm not sure if single player games are where this topic's at.

Pike
01-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Turn-based strategy. Grand strategy. Real time strategy. 4X.

Strategy in general.

Shorty
01-26-2013, 12:08 PM
RPGs, almost exclusively. Pretty decent at shooter games. I am terrible at fighting games, racing games and puzzle games.

Loony BoB
01-26-2013, 12:44 PM
I don't even know, as the games I tend to enjoy most rarely require incredible amounts of skill - or at least, if they do, I don't notice. Either that makes me someone who generally sucks, or it makes me someone who finds things effortless. ;)

I feel like I'm average at all kinds of games, really. I don't like PvP much so it's seriously hard to tell what I'm great at. Any game I've played PvP with generally can end up varying almost every time, sometimes I'm really good after a while and then the next game I'll be terrible, sometimes I'll go up and down like crazy from MVP to MUP (Muppet/Most Useless Player) almost every other game.

Single player games, though - too hard to know what I'm good at and what I'm not. Can you really be bad at JRPGs, adventure games, etc? I don't know. RTS I enjoy and seem to be able to finish campaigns on. Same for TBS and 4X. I feel this makes me competent, I'm not sure about 'great'.

I can't play Fighter/Racer games for long enough to get good, though. Not since the original Hot Pursuit, anyway.

Shauna
01-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I feel like I'm average at all kinds of games, really.

Pretty much. I am across the board mediocre at video games.

NeoCracker
01-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Can you really be bad at JRPGs, adventure games, etc? I don't know.

If you play Persona 3/4, and claim that games are 'cheap' or 'fake hard' then you are bad at JRPG's. :p

Pete for President
01-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Flight combat games are where I shine most. I used to be almost unbeatable in HAWX.

Other than that I'm pretty decent at FPS, RPG's and platformers. Fighting, racing and RTS games are definitely not my speciality.

Raistlin
01-26-2013, 04:13 PM
RPGs, turn-based strategy, and puzzle games, probably. I'm also ok at RTS, and I used to be decent at fighting games.

Laddy
01-26-2013, 04:35 PM
RPG's, strategy games, and fighting games are my specialty.

Pheesh
01-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Sports games, Guitar Hero and to a lesser extent fighting games.

Fynn
01-26-2013, 06:52 PM
I am awesome at Rhythm games and action RPGs. I would say RPGs in general, but I suck at metagame stuff, so I will beat a game, usually with no problem at all, but when there is a competetive aspect, I suck.

Mirage
01-27-2013, 02:08 AM

If you play Persona 3/4, and claim that games are 'cheap' or 'fake hard' then you are bad at JRPG's. :p

Persona 3 is actually pretty fake-hard. Of course, I still beat it. Just because I'm perceptive enough to notice when games are poorly designed doesn't mean I'm not good at the genre. P4 isn't as fake-hard because it at least lets you not have to rely entirely on AI patterns in a tight situation. There's nothing in either of those games that require skill at a high level. The base mechanics are actually very simple. It's all about how much time you feel like spending on grinding (including slink grinding) and/or playing around with persona fusion.

When it comes to games that require actual skill though, I'd say Ninja Gaiden is a pretty strong contender. I suck at that those games but I play them anyway. I'm not too bad at certain fighting games either, but I'm not really anywhere near the top. I guess I am probably best at action RPGs, where I can combine good reflexes and my tactical/strategic sense to create good skill and gear setups.

I am also pretty good at FPS games, but not team-based FPS games. I'm not a good team player in situations with lots of pressure and adrenaline.

black orb
01-27-2013, 05:12 AM
>>> RPG and 2D figthers..:luca:

Wolf Kanno
01-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Its possible to suck at RPGs, especially if we are talking about older RPGs where item management is the real challenge. It gets a bad rap cause you can technically "keep leveling up" but if you really look at some of the older games (like 80s and up to maybe 1993) you'll notcie levels don't help you as much as they do in later games. A level 99 party in FFVI or VII is pretty much unstoppable, in FFIV? you can still be curb stomped by several random encounters and Zeromus.

Largely RPGs "skill" is genuinely a combination of lateral and critical thinking, grasping and fully understanding the combat/customization system, some trial and error, and lots of patience. Do you think you can play any RPG and get 80-90% of everything completed without a guide and not knowing the game? If no, then you are probably not an expert at it. RPGs have always been time sink titles, even before some of them became literal grinding time sinks, the true skill was being able to uncover all the secrets and learning how to become efficient with the battle system customization system, and item management.

It gets harder to defend RPGs requiring skills once you get to the modern era, its probably the reason why WRPGs have become more successful because they still grasp the concept of exploration and discovery that JRPGs have forgotten.

Mirage: I disagree that P3 is Fake difficulty, but I won't get into it cause I already know where you stand on this (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/142280-persona-3-fes-psn.html) and I don't need to waste my time convincing you otherwise cause we both know it ain't going to happen. :p

ShinGundam
01-27-2013, 12:29 PM
It gets harder to defend RPGs requiring skills once you get to the modern era, its probably the reason why WRPGs have become more successful because they still grasp the concept of exploration and discovery that JRPGs have forgotten.
I didn't find every single classic JRPG were about exploration and discovery, some of late 80s and early 90s doesn't even have a worldmap or interiors, just select desired location from a menu.

Del Murder
01-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Platform is probably my strongest genre. :p

Then it would be RPG, Puzzle, and Action/Adventure in that order.

Mirage
01-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Mirage: I disagree that P3 is Fake difficulty, but I won't get into it cause I already know where you stand on this (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/142280-persona-3-fes-psn.html) and I don't need to waste my time convincing you otherwise cause we both know it ain't going to happen. :p
Yeah, but what if I manage to convince you, huh? Oh, of course. That's why you don't wnat to, you're worried that I might succeed!

And I dunno. I don't think there was a lot of challenge in FF4 that couldn't be grinded past, except the bonus dungeons added to the GBA version. Same goes for FF5, really. The challenge in 5 is really just figuring out how the various skills interact, and the skill cap on that is relatively low. You should get to that point around halfway through the game on your first playthrough, and then it won't ever really get harder, except things that are countered by leveling.

FF4 is less complex (yes, even the non-easymode version) than FF5 again, so I'd say that has an even lower skill cap.

Wolf Kanno
01-29-2013, 05:34 AM
Yeah, but what if I manage to convince you, huh? Oh, of course. That's why you don't wnat to, you're worried that I might succeed!

In my experience of debates, its very doubtful you could convince me. I am pretty stubborn and set in my ways.

And I dunno. I don't think there was a lot of challenge in FF4 that couldn't be grinded past, except the bonus dungeons added to the GBA version. Same goes for FF5, really. The challenge in 5 is really just figuring out how the various skills interact, and the skill cap on that is relatively low. You should get to that point around halfway through the game on your first playthrough, and then it won't ever really get harder, except things that are countered by leveling.

FF4 is less complex (yes, even the non-easymode version) than FF5 again, so I'd say that has an even lower skill cap.

I agree that RPGs in general are on the lower end of needing skill, but I am still just surprised how often I meet people who don't get them and struggle to get through them so I feel there is still some sense of challenge and a need to learn the skill of processing resources to create the best result possible. Like in the case of FFV, you can beat the game with low skill, though it may be hard, but anyone whose really delved into the games system knows which combinations work the best, which ones are easily exploited, which classes are the best to use for particular parts of the dungeon and can easily make one of the last challenging entries into their personal bitch. The Blue Mage alone is a testament to an RPG players skill because they have always been a class for the people who really learn the ins and outs of the game system and to use fighting game lingo, they are a top tier class though difficult to master because it both involves knowing how to acquire its skills and where they are most effective. The Blue Mage in FFV is especially a devastating job class but most people don't really know this and ignore it. This is kind of what I'm getting at by saying people being an expert at this genre. Let's face it, in a fighting game, a player can be good enough to beat the computer opponents consistently, but you really begin to separate the children from the experts when you turn it over to the competitive scene, same with FPS titles.

Though I also understand that since this genre is more about mechanics and puzzle solving, if you have a guide, you can easily pass yourself off as an expert cause its all written there, but I ask, how many people are confident enough to have a good 80-90% mastery of any RPG handed to them on the get go without a guide? To be experienced enough to notice the mechanics and patterns without a guide, look at the skills, know instantly how to exploit them, and are savvy enough to drop off the beaten path to find the secrets in the game's world. While an RPG community like EoFF would mostly raise their hands and say "Well duh!" people who don't play these games as part of their regular gaming diet would have more issues and get pissy when they missed something or failed to notice how easy it is to bork the system.

I agree the genre isn't exactly the hardest (anymore) and is in fact probably the easiest to master beyond shovel ware games but I still believe it requires some skill, its just that a forum of RPG players, we tend to forget this because we play it all the time.

chionos
01-29-2013, 05:57 AM
I'm pretty good at all the games. RPGs, FPSs, ROUSs, Plats, Musacks

I kills em all, main, I kills em all.

Night Fury
01-29-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm good at fighting games and adventure action-y games like Tomb Raider

Flaming Ice
01-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Probably rpgs more than anything....unless you have to mash the a button to get to the next disc.......:eep:

TrollHunter
01-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Platformers
Action/adventure
Action platformers
Rpgs
Pc fps
Racing games
Pong

Skyblade
01-29-2013, 05:59 PM

Persona 3 is actually pretty fake-hard. Of course, I still beat it. Just because I'm perceptive enough to notice when games are poorly designed doesn't mean I'm not good at the genre. P4 isn't as fake-hard because it at least lets you not have to rely entirely on AI patterns in a tight situation. There's nothing in either of those games that require skill at a high level. The base mechanics are actually very simple. It's all about how much time you feel like spending on grinding (including slink grinding) and/or playing around with persona fusion.

Bull feathers.

Go play P3P, and beat Margaret with just your main character. Then come back and tell me how you did that without strategizing.

Bubba
01-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Anything that requires decent reaction times such as platformers, driving, sports games.

I'm actually pretty crappy at RPG's... as much as I enjoy playing them.

Polnareff
01-29-2013, 11:03 PM
RPGs, fighting games, and action-adventure games. Only action adventure game I played that I could never beat was Ninja Gaiden Black for Xbox.

I agree with Mirage about P3 being fake-hard. It was mostly because the AI partners were seriously inept. But that got fixed with the PSP version.

Mirage
01-29-2013, 11:07 PM

Bull feathers.

Go play P3P, and beat Margaret with just your main character. Then come back and tell me how you did that without strategizing.

Why should I play P3P when it is the original P3 I am complaining about?

Additionally, even if some elements of a game is fake-hard, that doesn't mean every single aspect of that game is.