PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular Games you would Highly Recommend

Wolf Kanno
01-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Everyone has their own taste in gaming, so are there any unpopular titles you loved and would recommend to people? I'm not asking for titles you were "okay" with I mean a title you enjoy.

Shattered Dreamer
01-25-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm a big fan of the Army of Two series. It gets dismissed as a bad Gears of Wars clone but I actually really really enjoyed both games and I'm looking forward to the release of Devils Cartel.

Skyblade
01-26-2013, 12:01 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift

Sure, people dismiss the FFTA series as "kiddy", and the main storyline of this game is butchered, but this game is still phenomenal. The sidequests are hugely entertaining, the main cast is great, the character work is strong. This game lets you live in Ivalice, and really makes it come to life as a world.

Megaman Battle Network 3

Another one that is sometimes called "kiddy". Not surprising, with its focus on young characters, which lies in stark contrast to the rest of the Megaman games. Nevertheless, MMBN3 is a wonderful game. The gameplay itself is brilliant, and allows for some of the most in depth customization I've seen in a long time. The story is solid, the sidequests are fun, and there is great fun in exploring both the regular world and the 'Net. Try it out, and stick with it at least until you beat Bubbleman (when you really unlock the full potential of the customization options). It's worth it. Oh, and the music rocks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PREgJjkPM8&list=PLC66A7B0C21D00B27

Evil Genius

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who's heard of this game, but it's brilliant. It's basically a simulator for people who want to be a Bond Villain, and my gosh, it is glorious. Building and setting up traps in your base (which is worth the price of admission right there) is the best part, but by no means all of the game. Delegating tasks to your henchmen, kidnapping people, and stealing rare loot from around the world is all part of your work. Your evil, evil work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTeaPcsRt9A
Dang, this game needs a sequel.

Forsaken Lover
01-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Metal Gear Solid 2. Luckily it looks like the hatedumb has died down the last couple of years.

Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero. It's not a good game but it's serviceable and I played it a ton when I was younger.

ShinGundam
01-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Action games:
-Genocide 2 (X68K or FM Towns version).
-Mad Stalker (X68K or PC Engine version).
-Valis 2 (X68K).
-FZ Senki Axis.
-Battle Mania and Battle Mania Daiginjou.
-Bulk Slash.
-Edward randy.
-Love and Destroy.
-Alisia Dragoon.
-Rolling thunder 2.

RPGs:
-SD Snatcher.

escobert
01-26-2013, 01:01 AM
Saga Frontier 1 & 2.

Bolivar
01-26-2013, 02:24 AM
Ironically, I think Metal Gear Solid and Call of Duty games fall under this category now, depending on where you go.

So if we were to talk about mainstream games that didn't catch on that huge and an EoFF-type niche would probably overlook, one would be The Godfather. The racketeering and intimidation gameplay was excellent, the shooting was incredibly satisfying, and I thought the atmosphere was so on point, as a fan of the book and the film. It even has things from the Puzo novel that the films never used. When the mainstream journalist crowd attributed the advent of the cover system to Gears of War, I had to scratch my head.

As far as a game that people just don't like, niche or mainstream - White Knight Chronicles. Yes, the scenario was a tremendous let down. It was still an excellent implementation of traditional JRPG gameplay and exploration on a modern console, and the multiplayer was actually fantastic.

As far as games that got straight up crapped on in the press, Medal of Honor reboot. I really liked the gunplay and missions. The multiplayer was decent. This might sound insane, but the game actually changed my viewpoint on the war on terror. And that's a pretty powerful thing for any piece of media to do.

noshowmillk
01-26-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure about this in other places, but here are some titles I found to be unpopular in the area I live in.

Crash Team Racing
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine
Dragon's Dogma

I was upset to find out that not many people heard of these games.

Laddy
01-26-2013, 10:47 PM
PLANESCAPE TORMENT.

Polnareff
01-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Mega Man Battle Network 3 was already mentioned.

Pulseman - a Megadrive game that never came out in the US as a purchasable game (it was on the Sega Channel for a while though) until it ended up on the Wii's VC. It's kind of similar to Mega Man, but the main character can turn into a ball of electricity and bounce all around the stages. Game Freak, the company behind Pokemon, made this, and even made references to the game in Pokemon with Pikachu's Volt Tackle (which is pretty much exactly like Voltekker in Pulseman, and even shares the same name in Japanese with that move) and with the Pokemon Bisharp, who looks a lot like Pulseman.

Final Fight Streetwise - this PS2 game got torn apart by critics because of the crappy graphics and the overflow of "ghetto-ness." But it's actually a very solid and fun game, once you start learning moves from Haggar. The combat is top-notch. It also makes some cool references to older Final Fight games and even the Resident Evil games.

Urban Reign - another PS2 game that got torn apart by critics. It's an arena-based fighting game with tons of moves. The thing is, almost all these moves are done with one button. There is a counter button as well, which can be used on pretty much every move and throw in the game, adding depth to the combat. This game didn't sell near as well as Namco wanted, and as proof, notice how they never made a sequel to it. Namco had talked about making this into a series, but the first game barely got any drops in the bucket.

Shadow of Rome - One of Capcom's best games on PS2, and sadly one of the most overlooked. You play as a guy named Agrippa, who fights through a series of very violent gladiator matches. The point of the game is to rack up points by brutally dismembering enemies. You're given weapons such as giant halberds and maces to bludgeon them with. There are also some really well-done stealth missions in the game, which was the main complaint in the reviews (I guess most felt they took away from the action, but I disagree). There are also chariot races and a lot of the arenas have traps as well.

Any of the Power Instinct games - All these games were overlooked, because they were thought to be SF2 clones. Well, the first game WAS an SF2 clone, but starting with the second game, it got its own identity.

Henry Hatsworth - I remembered thinking that this was a dumb idea for a game. A puzzle and platforming game in one? How asinine is that? I finally tried it and it's really fun. It's hard to explain how it works, you have to look it up on Youtube. It's for DS.

Monster Tale - A DS game. This game has you playing as a little girl named Ellie, who finds a monster named Chomp. It plays a lot like the Metroid games in terms of roaming around, but there are numerous powerups that both can get that make the game more interesting to play. The graphics are very cute and vibrant as well.

That's it for now; I'm too lazy to continue typing right now.

black orb
01-27-2013, 05:21 AM
>>> SaGa frontier 2..:luca:

Fynn
01-27-2013, 07:13 AM
PLANESCAPE TORMENT.

That is not an unpopular game. I'd say it's fairly obscure, but wildly popular among most RPG circles I've seen on the net.

I'd say The Sims Medieval. Sure, it was heavily advertised by EA, but I get the impression sales didn't fare well. It's a very clever mix of The Sims, RPGs and strategy games. And it is firggin' hilarious.

Skyblade
01-27-2013, 08:01 AM
PLANESCAPE TORMENT.

That is not an unpopular game. I'd say it's fairly obscure, but wildly popular among most RPG circles I've seen on the net.

I'd say The Sims Medieval. Sure, it was heavily advertised by EA, but I get the impression sales didn't fare well. It's a very clever mix of The Sims, RPGs and strategy games. And it is firggin' hilarious.

unpopular: not popular; disliked or ignored by the public or by persons generally

I think obscure counts due to the "ignored" bit. Although I agree that Planescape: Torment might not fit in, as it's a huge cult classic.

Wolf Kanno
01-27-2013, 08:07 AM
For the sake of this thread, I'll define unpopular as "not liked or heavily flawed" to make this easier. Cult classics don't count.

I would recommend Evil Zone, I love this game, and it is truly terribly. There are bad fighting games and then there is Evil Zone where the controls are overly simplistic, the A.I. is horribly cheap, and the story... oh god the wonderful cheesy story and cast... I almost want to play it now. :love:

black orb
01-27-2013, 08:53 AM
the controls are overly simplistic, the A.I. is horribly cheap, and the story... oh god the wonderful cheesy story and cast...
>>> Way to recommend a game..:luca:
Anyways, if you are into 80`s 90`s anime you`ll probably like this game..

Here is another gem: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

Slothy
01-27-2013, 03:43 PM
I'll pull out my standard go to terrible game: Mission Impossible on the N64. By every conceivable objective measure I can think of it is a game of good ideas and god awful execution. Almost nothing in this title is well done except maybe the embassy mission. But I still love it and have a blast playing through it whenever I pick it up.