PDA

View Full Version : Snowed in

Raistlin
01-26-2013, 03:23 AM
I was going out tonight, but when I looked out my car and driveway were covered in snow. It's been snowing today, and that happened just since 5 PM or so when I got home. I'm not literally "snowed in," but it would just be too much of a hassle to clean my car off tonight and get out of the unplowed, low-traffic development.

So instead I grabbed a beer and will be watching The West Wing on Netflix.

How poor does the weather have to be to change your plans? Do you push on regardless of risk to life and limb?

If it's at all important, I'll brave pretty much anything, but this was just a meetup for drinks and a weekly poker game. Not worth any extra effort on my part.

G13
01-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Icy roads are pretty much the only thing that make me think twice before heading out. Rain or snow doesn't bother me much.

Faris
01-26-2013, 03:55 AM
Really? :colbert:

Just for a cup of coffee this winter I have: Cleared off the car after 20cm of snow, drove over a snow pile (because the plow people for our street are utter trout), had to use all my strength to open the frozen shut car door, and drove during heavy snowfall and hail.

Oh and this week it was -35C and I still went to work on the other side of the city (it takes me three buses and the travel time is 1:30hr. and I have the option to go in another day or work from home) Also the road leading to my house is a nice thick layer of ice.

The weather would have to be life threatening to keep me from my plans unless it's an outdoor activity.

Slothy
01-26-2013, 04:04 AM
If it's something that isn't that important than laziness generally wins over shoveling snow and cleaning off the car and whatever else is going on that would make me not want to drive. If it's just rainy or windy then fuck it, I don't care and I'll go anyway.

If something's important though, I will, and have, driven in pretty much anything. A few years back I drove me, my wife, parents and sister home from my grandmothers after Christmas. It's typically a 5 hour drive or so when you can actually do 110-120 on the highway. It started snowing when we left though and we made it through about the first hour before it started to hamper our progress. Spent at least an extra 2-3 hours on the road, driving about 50km/h through a blizzard for most of it because you literally could not go faster and without starting to slide (assuming you had the traction to speed up at all). It really wasn't that bad though aside from the visibility. It just took a lot longer. I didn't even really have to worry about other drivers causing problems because by the third hour I don't think we saw another car on the highway.

Pumpkin
01-26-2013, 04:17 AM
Really? :colbert:

Just for a cup of coffee this winter I have: Cleared off the car after 20cm of snow, drove over a snow pile (because the plow people for our street are utter trout), had to use all my strength to open the frozen shut car door, and drove during heavy snowfall and hail.

Oh and this week it was -35C and I still went to work on the other side of the city (it takes me three buses and the travel time is 1:30hr. and I have the option to go in another day or work from home) Also the road leading to my house is a nice thick layer of ice.

The weather would have to be life threatening to keep me from my plans unless it's an outdoor activity.

It's funny, I was just talking about this. There was some freezing rain down here (the south) that didn't even freeze the ground because it's too warm and people here are freaking out. Some businesses shut down and some counties sent their kids home from school. There is seriously NO ice on the roads. And there's a guy on facebook like, Oh man I feel so bad asking the delivery guy to drive in this weather. WHAT WEATHER?! The freezing rain stopped and it didn't even ice the roads AT ALL. Me being from Canada am just like :|. Seriously guys, I know you aren't equipped for ice and snow, but I mean come on. Like you said, it can be -35C with a huge thick layer of ice and you still get your butt to work.

Shorty
01-26-2013, 05:29 AM
Similar to Vivi - laziness usually wins. It's been a long time since I've had to scrape my car or shovel snow, but I can imagine that if I had plans to go anywhere other than work I'd probably cancel them.

If snow and/or rain could possibly make my journey take twice as long as it normally would, I'm not going to make it. Not because I'm afraid of driving in poor conditions but because my plans most likely are not worth the time it would take to reach them.

Pike
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
How poor does the weather have to be to change your plans? Do you push on regardless of risk to life and limb?

If it's an optional thing like going to store I'll put it off if there's like a foot of snow outside or whatever.

If it's not an optional thing, like work, there's no such thing as canceling due to weather in Montana! :monster:

Yar
01-26-2013, 11:53 AM
My city floods pretty often, so when that happens I'm usually stuck inside. The city pretty much shuts down so it's not even worth trying to go out.

I don't mind driving in the snow, but if there is an unsafe amount of fallen snow, I prefer to just stay indoors. People drive like idiots and I don't want to die.

Psychotic
01-26-2013, 11:57 AM
We've had a lot of snow recently and on Friday last week were sent home at around 2:00. The only change I've really made is only having half-hour lunch breaks and leaving half an hour early - I am glad I have that level of flexibility. It's become a right bitch now though as yesterday, after a week of this shit, all the snow has become ice. Driving on my road is like driving on glass or something, it's madness. (but also slightly fun! :D)

fire_of_avalon
01-26-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't drive in ice. We had sleet and freezing rain yesterday, and I tried to make it to work but after slipping and sliding for 15 minutes of trying to get anywhere and knowing it was going to get worse later in the day, I chose to turn back. Because I don't want to sleep at work.

I will drive in pretty much anything else if I have to. As long as my car has clearance over the snow I'm comfortable driving.

Raistlin
01-26-2013, 03:52 PM

Were do you live? That's some coffee dedication, right there.

As I said, for more important or non-optional things, I'll brave pretty much anything. But for minor stuff, laziness wins out. In law school, I made it to to the school driving over entirely unplowed backroads that had a good 5 inches of snow on them.

It's funny, I was just talking about this. There was some freezing rain down here (the south) that didn't even freeze the ground because it's too warm and people here are freaking out. Some businesses shut down and some counties sent their kids home from school. There is seriously NO ice on the roads. And there's a guy on facebook like, Oh man I feel so bad asking the delivery guy to drive in this weather. WHAT WEATHER?! The freezing rain stopped and it didn't even ice the roads AT ALL. Me being from Canada am just like :|. Seriously guys, I know you aren't equipped for ice and snow, but I mean come on. Like you said, it can be -35C with a huge thick layer of ice and you still get your butt to work.

Yeah, people freak out at any inclement weather in many areas of the US. When I was in middle and high school, school would be routinely be cancelled for any snow at all.

Faris
01-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Were do you live? That's some coffee dedication, right there.

The only place where you will find people oot and aboot in such weather. How aboot that, eh? :monster:

Raistlin
01-26-2013, 04:29 PM
And here I always thought you were a girl. I didn't know you were a Canadian.

Faris
01-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Yes, it's true! Sadly, there is no cure. :(

Night Fury
01-26-2013, 06:59 PM
It's been really snowy here lately too, and I actually skipped class this week because it was soooo cold. I have Raynaurds which is really, really bad in the cold and I literally stood in sleet for like half an hour, my toes and knees were in absolute agony from the cold so I scarpered off home and got into bed. I'm usually okay but that day was fucking awful.

Goldenboko
01-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Most of the snow in Boston is gone by the time I wake up if it snows when I sleep. *shrug*

Laddy
01-26-2013, 08:22 PM
It's 54F here. I think I might need to put on a jacket. :(

NorthernChaosGod
01-27-2013, 01:04 AM
I live in San Diego, the worst we get is a lot of rain with high winds. That doesn't stop me.

DMKA
01-27-2013, 04:17 AM
Only if there's ice or substantial snow that hasn't been plowed on the road. Otherwise, I'll gladly drive in rain/sleet/snow/hail/etc.

Being from Southern California, visibility isn't really an issue to me. My vehicle sliding beyond my control is.

escobert
01-27-2013, 05:43 AM
I don't give a shit about snow, I drive in it all the time!

chionos
01-27-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm what I'd call reckless and brave. Or what you'd call stupid and irresponsible.

So, basically, nothing. Not that I don't enjoy the idea of being snowed in. I'm not above using snow/ice as an excuse to be a homebody.

Shiny
01-28-2013, 02:45 AM
Being snowed in is just an excuse for me to not go outside, and instead play video games the entire day, so naturally I like it.