PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Demo

Scotty_ffgamer
01-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Now that the demo for the game is out now, has anyone had a chance to play through it? For those that have played through it, what are your impressions?

I'm honestly still confused with how there can be a cyborg ninja Raiden game set after Metal Gear Solid 4 considering the closure they gave his character. What was revealed in this demo does not really do anything to justify Raiden being the way he is. I remain skeptical about this, and I feel the story will not be on par with the other Metal Gear games. That being said, the demo was filled with cutscenes, and the narrative told in the cutscenes have a very Metal Gear feel to them.

As for gameplay, I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it. The demo comes with a tutorial that almost literally tells you nothing. It just has you practice the slicing feature. It does not help you learn how to parry, lock on, dodge, or any of those things. I didn't realize there was a lock on feature until my roommate played through the demo, and he accidentally pressed the lock on button. I'll have to play through it again now that I know there is a lock on feature because that was one of my biggest complaints. The parrying seems very spotty, but that could just be because I haven't quite figured out how the parrying is supposed to work. There is no dodge roll type thing in the game either, which is pretty frustrating when there are a lot of enemies on the screen.

Overall, it seems like a fun game despite the ridiculousness of the story. I'll still probably get it, but unless I just haven't discovered how the controls work, I think I will find myself frustrated a lot of the time.

Sephex
01-27-2013, 09:05 PM
I had some fun with it. It's going to be one of those games for me where I will get it after the price drops.

Masamunemaster
01-28-2013, 12:54 AM
It took me a while to get used to the parry, which made the final fight wayyyy easier. I dont really think hack and slash games should have a lock on feature to be honest.

I had heard that it was supposed to take place between MGS2 and MGS4, as to show what happened between them to the forgotten hero.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-28-2013, 01:15 AM
The original intention was to have the game set between MGS2 and MGS4, and it would have the story about how Raiden got Sunny from The Patriots. That would have been a pretty amazing story to tell, I feel like. That project was pretty much cancelled. The story was changed to being set after MGS4 whenever Platinum started working with the game. I'm still interested to see what they end up doing with the story, but I'm pretty iffy about it.

The main thing I wanted the lock on for was just from switching from the normal hack and slash stuff to the slowed down free slashing thing. It just made it more tedious when I was fighting the Gekko, I felt like. I never got used to the parrying, but I didn't have too much time to mess with it. It would have made the boss fight more enjoyable though.

Masamunemaster
01-28-2013, 01:22 AM
I went back on my second play through thinking I could do blade mode to stop him from charging, but instead I got used to timing my parry to perfection

Pete for President
01-28-2013, 07:58 AM
I was skeptical when I downloaded the demo and stopped playing after the Gekko. To me it seems they just want to throw a lot of special effects in your face and I'm not too fond of over the top games. I also expect them to completely rape the story. The slice ability reminded me of a simpler version of Okami's drawing system in it's combat.