PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day Gifts

Værn
01-28-2013, 08:44 AM
With Valentine's Day just over two weeks away, you may be thinking of what you could give to someone.

Chocolates are a classic gift and, let's face it, just about everyone likes chocolate. It's a good gift at any time, but a good Valentine's Day gift should be something special. Something with meaning behind it. Not just something that will be enjoyed, but something symbolic.

For ages, the rose has been used as a symbol of love due to its beauty. However, it is actually a terrible metaphor.
The rose serves no purpose besides decoration. It will sit in a vase on a counter or a table as it withers and dies over the course of a week or two. Once it has expired, it is simply thrown away. The rose is a gift that declares, "Ours is a fleeting love, based only on your outward appearance. Once your beauty fades, you'll be discarded and forgotten."

Now let us examine the humble potato. First of all, it is a root. It is the foundation of something greater than itself. This observation alone makes it a more significant gesture than any flower.
In addition, with just a bit of work it can be put to many satisfying uses. It can be boiled, mashed, fried, hashed, chipped, or baked, among countless other things. It has a history of remedial uses, and can even be used to make a battery.
Not only that, but a potato left in the bag or on a shelf will not die and rot, as a rose does. It will sprout and continue to grow. It thrives. The potato as a gift says, "Ours is an undying love that grows every day, taking on more forms than you can possibly imagine."
Alternatively, you might give a potato to someone you're not particularly close to but would like to get to know better. In this case, the potato might say, "What we have between us may not look like anything special right now. But, if we put just a bit of effort into it, we can turn it into something awesome."

When Valentine's Day arrives, what gift do you plan to give?
Will it be a safe, yet meaningless, gift of chocolates?
Will it be a rose - a gift which would be more appropriate as a declaration of lust than of love?
Or will you give a potato - a gift to cherish not only for what it is, but for what it shall become?

Shorty
01-28-2013, 04:52 PM
How dare you, sir. Chocolate is not meaningless.

Chris
01-28-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm gonna make him a marshmallow cake in the shape of a heart, and then cover it with chocolate. This sounds gayer than it actually is.

Night Fury
01-28-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm sending him a picture of my boobies.

http://t.qkme.me/35ty6h.jpg

Shauna
01-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Probably nothing. Our anniversary falls on the 9th February - we celebrate that with a gift or two and dinner, while Valentines Day gets less attention. Oh well. :3

Either way, money is tight for me right now, so gifts and stuff will be cheap or home made. :3

Faris
01-28-2013, 07:48 PM
No :colbert:

Chris
01-28-2013, 07:57 PM
No :colbert:
I'll be your exotic/cyber/gay Valentine. :heart:

Aulayna
01-28-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm single. So the only gift I'll be getting myself is... nothing... I would say a big tub of Hagen Daas but that'd break the diet. So I'll probably go to the gym and it'll just be like any other day of the week. Well aside from having to come home to my housemate's first valentine with his girlfriend...

Værn
01-28-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm single. So the only gift I'll be getting myself is... nothing... I would say a big tub of Hagen Daas but that'd break the diet. So I'll probably go to the gym and it'll just be like any other day of the week. Well aside from having to come home to my housemate's first valentine with his girlfriend...
I could mail you a potato, if that would make your day better :bigsmile:

krissy
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
i got a gift for all you eoff ladies

you all just go ahead and open up this here box i am holding

Sephex
01-28-2013, 09:31 PM
I am awful at this sort of thing, in my opinion. Then again, I have a very pessimistic view of Valentine's Day no matter if I am in a relationship or not. For the past three years, I have drawn paint pics of my views on Valentine's Day, and I plan on doing one again this year. For those interested (pics are links because they are big and rather no even spoiler tag them):

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/eitherway.png
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/VALENTINES.png
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/valentinesdaylol.png (This last one has some pretty vulgar language, be warned if that sort of thing bothers you)

krissy
01-28-2013, 09:34 PM
sephex tell us how you really feel

also is that guy vomiting balls?

Sephex
01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
sephex tell us how you really feel

also is that guy vomiting balls?

How I really feel: I don't particularly care about Valentine's Day.

I like your interpretation, but the man is vomiting a heart.

Raistlin
01-29-2013, 01:15 AM
i got a gift for all you eoff ladies

you all just go ahead and open up this here box i am holding

Only for the ladies? :(

Jowy
01-29-2013, 01:24 AM
She'll be getting something that'll make her smile. :aimwink: Get your lady something from the heart to go with the obligatory flowers and chocolate.

Bunny
01-29-2013, 01:31 AM
She's going to get really awesome sex.

And then we she gets back from that, I'll probably have dinner ready for her or something.

Vasher
01-29-2013, 04:24 AM
I ordered her another pair of Louboutin's. I also ordered some custom pink license plates. There is a large pink crown and in cursive it says "Latina Princesa".

We're going to Santa Barbara for the weekend.

Night Fury
01-29-2013, 11:38 AM
I ordered her another pair of Louboutin's. I also ordered some custom pink license plates. There is a large pink crown and in cursive it says "Latina Princesa".

another pair of Louboutin's.

another pair .

Louboutin's.

:thumbsup:

Pumpkin
01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
I have no idea what to get my boyfriend besides sex. What do guys even want for valentines day???

I feel bad for him because he has Christmas, our anniversary, Valentine's day and My birthday all pretty close together. I'm trying to convince him that he doesn't need to get me presents for all of them because poor guy.

Pheesh
01-30-2013, 10:17 AM
I had stuff planned but distance makes it hard to organise certain things, so I'm still scheming >.>

TrollHunter
01-30-2013, 06:56 PM
I no longer even know what day valentines day is on
Man, im such a player

Ill probably be making fun of all the mushy crap on facebook
THAT will be fun

Bunny
01-30-2013, 07:00 PM

another pair of Louboutin's.

another pair .

Louboutin's.

:thumbsup:

Someone should explain this to me. I don't understand this.

Night Fury
01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Bunny, Louboutins are the most amazing designer shoes in the world.

Shorty
01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm with Bunny. I don't understand at all. The shoes I'm finding look exactly like the non-brand name chunky black pumps I got on ebay for $20, red soles and all.

Night Fury
01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm with Bunny. I don't understand at all. The shoes I'm finding look exactly like the non-brand name chunky black pumps I got on ebay for $20, red soles and all.

I dunno. It's those gorgeous red soles.... and ahhh! they're just beautifully made shoes.

Shorty
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Not for eight hundred dollars, they're not! :confused:

Having said that, I would not say no to them if I received them as a Valentine's gift.

escobert
01-30-2013, 07:52 PM
I ain't giving anyone shit.

Night Fury
01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Well.... I suppose they are expensive, but I'd wear them sooooo much. I want to buy myself a pair one day just because, I dunno. It'd feel good and I'd wear them for work when I'm a big editor at some Videogames magazine :D

I'm not heavily into designer things, I only love Louboutins and Chanel. I'd love a classic Quilted Chanel Purse because they're so timeless and beautiful.

Rantz
01-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Having said that, I would not say no to them if I received them as a Valentine's gift.

Thanks for that one, Locky :colbert:

Night Fury
01-30-2013, 08:14 PM

Thanks for that one, Locky :colbert:

But just think how sexy she will look wearing the shoes. And only the shoes.

Think of the shoe sex.

Rantz
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
I can have shoe sex without her!

Bunny
01-30-2013, 09:15 PM

They are hideous. You are paying for a name, not an actual quality shoe. $7000 for a pair of shoes? Give me a break.

Madame Adequate
01-30-2013, 10:28 PM

Let me put you in touch with my uncle.

Shorty
01-30-2013, 10:31 PM

I don't like where this is going.

Araciel
01-30-2013, 10:44 PM
A nice warm glass of shut the fuck up.

Raistlin
01-31-2013, 12:13 AM
They are hideous. You are paying for a name, not an actual quality shoe. $7000 for a pair of shoes? Give me a break.

Yeah, I don't get it. I'm sure there are plenty of shoes of similar comfort and physical quality as that, for a miniscule fraction of the price.

Shlup
01-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Every year I just make a nice dinner and we spend the evening in. We just like each other's company because we're better than you materialistic hoosiers.

TrollHunter
01-31-2013, 12:18 AM
Googled the weird name of shoe.
Those look... Do people actually wear those?
They look like normal shoes, except for only 10x the price.

NorthernChaosGod
01-31-2013, 03:10 AM

Yeah, I was going to say something like this. Wtf spends that much on their feet?

qwertysaur
01-31-2013, 05:29 AM
Rantz, give Shorty a chocolate whale! :whale:

Night Fury
01-31-2013, 10:12 AM
I LIKE SHOES!
I can't help it :(

I love them, and I'd love to own a pair one day. Jimmy Choos too. I'd never ask anyone to buy them for me, I want to buy them for myself, I don't see what is so strange about that. People buy expensive things all the time!

Miriel
01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Del Murder is giving me the gift of Hawaii for Valentines.

yukina
01-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Valentine's Day is Single Awareness Day for me. So Imma hole myself up in my room with friends and watch horror movies until our eyes bleed. :))

TrollHunter
01-31-2013, 02:04 PM
I LIKE SHOES!
I can't help it :(

I love them, and I'd love to own a pair one day. Jimmy Choos too. I'd never ask anyone to buy them for me, I want to buy them for myself, I don't see what is so strange about that. People buy expensive things all the time!

And how often are those expensive things a total waste of money? You can get shoes that are just as good if not better for a fraction of the price. Its like people who get expensive watches. I just dont get it
Anyway, lets not derail the thread
Its your money, and as such its your choice. If you want those shoes, more power to you.

Night Fury
01-31-2013, 02:46 PM
I dunno. I've had shoes that cost me between £15-£20 and they were awful. Sure, they look nice but they just tear my feet up and sometimes the heels snap off. People buy expensive things they don't need everyday. Like huge TV's - you know, a smaller and cheaper one is fine too. Fancy cars - you know, a cheaper one gets you from a to b too. Expensive suits - you know, you can rent one for like a fraction of that price.

It's just a luxury and I like the idea of one day having a good enough job so that I don't have to wear cheap shoes. Sure, I'll still buy cheap shoes because some of them are awesome, but one day I'd love to buy some Louboutins because it'd be like - yeah, you know what, I deserve these. I have worked hard every damn day to get where I am and now I can finally buy these shoes that I love. I'm not asking you to be able to understand why I choose shoes over other things, I just do and I don't see the problem.

TrollHunter
01-31-2013, 02:58 PM
Okay, thats an interesting point actually. Im just the kind of guy who likes cheap things that get the job done. :p
I just dont like stuff.
I understand your point now though. Hopefully you can get those shoes someday. While i dont exactly agree i dont think forcing my views down your throat is a particularly appealing option.

Bubba
01-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Do whatever makes you happy! People like to buy expensive things not for their practicality... but for the fact that it makes them feel good to own whatever it is.

I bought myself a Cherry Gibson SG guitar for £1000 a few years back. Yes, I could have gotten an Epiphone copy for about £300 but smurf that. I don't regret it one bit... and I'm sure you'd be the same, Miss Lockharted.

qwertysaur
01-31-2013, 03:15 PM
that's so sweet. Which island(s) are you going to?

Bubba
01-31-2013, 03:22 PM

Buying your other half a whole state is pretty extreme for Valentine's Day. Do the inhabitants of Hawaii know about this?

Night Fury
01-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Okay, thats an interesting point actually. Im just the kind of guy who likes cheap things that get the job done. :p
I just dont like stuff.
I understand your point now though. Hopefully you can get those shoes someday. While i dont exactly agree i dont think forcing my views down your throat is a particularly appealing option.

Oh god I like cheap things too! I'm worried now that people might think I'm really high maintenance and after very expensive things in life, I'm not. I love a good bargain. In fact, I often go to supermarkets later at night to pick up all the reduced stuff.... >.> :lol:

Shorty
01-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Rantz, give Shorty a chocolate whale! :whale:

I'll be giving him a chocolate whale, he's giving me a chocolate octopus <333

Bunny
01-31-2013, 05:17 PM
Are those some kind of sex move? I know what a chocolate starfish is but I'm not aware of any octopus or whale-related activity.

Shorty
01-31-2013, 05:18 PM
No ;-;

Night Fury
01-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Spiderman's newest foe.... Choc Oc.

Bunny
01-31-2013, 05:20 PM
No ;-;

I've lost interest.

NorthernChaosGod
01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Do whatever makes you happy! People like to buy expensive things not for their practicality... but for the fact that it makes them feel good to own whatever it is.

I bought myself a Cherry Gibson SG guitar for £1000 a few years back. Yes, I could have gotten an Epiphone copy for about £300 but smurf that. I don't regret it one bit... and I'm sure you'd be the same, Miss Lockharted.

Well I think there's more of a difference between a Gibson and an Epiphone than whatever expensive shoe we're talking about and a normally priced one. :p

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-31-2013, 09:33 PM
I can't wait to see what I get!

Raistlin
01-31-2013, 10:44 PM

Buying your other half a whole state is pretty extreme for Valentine's Day.

Nah, Hawaii is small time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILObfEzX92k&t=1m8s).

Shiny
02-01-2013, 03:08 AM
Ideally I want a painting of my doggies on oil on canvas. My boyfriend said he would have to do it after February though. Also, it's his best friend's birthday that day so we'll be celebrating his 21st somewhere.

DMKA
02-01-2013, 04:59 AM
Me and my significant other both hate Valentine's Day with a passion.

We won't be getting each other anything. We'll be too busy dealing with crappy customers who get angry because their boyfriend was cheap and that's somehow our fault.

Vasher
02-02-2013, 06:21 AM
I'm generally cheap myself, but we all have our "poison".

I don't mind splurging on cars, food, travel.

My wife loves clothes/shoes/bags, her car, food, travel, etc. Not "high maintenance" per se, just picky.

She wore the open-toe Swarovski Crystal pair when we got married. I think they were around $5k. Maybe I'll post up a wedding pic.

Lockharted, when you're ready to buy a pair order them from a store in France. Even after shipping and import fees it is around 25% less. ;)

Most of her shoes are from the St. Honore boutique.

She loved me when all I had was ambition, don't want to hear any poop.

Anyways, here pink plates for her car came yesterday. She can sport them until her CA plates come.

Jinx
02-06-2013, 04:53 AM
My test for my American Sign Language class, and dinner-for-one from McD's.

Agrias
02-09-2013, 01:38 AM
FUCK VALENTINES DAY

-runs away heave/sobbing-

Jinx
02-09-2013, 02:56 AM
smurf VALENTINES DAY

*comforts Agrias against my breasts*

Agrias
02-09-2013, 03:09 AM
smurf VALENTINES DAY

*comforts Agrias against my breasts*

D';

and thats how valentines was won~ :kakapo:

Shorty
02-09-2013, 05:04 PM
I RECEIVED A PACKAGE YESTERDAY AND BECAME EXCITED IN MY PANTZ BUT THERE WAS A NOTE ON IT THAT SAID DON'T OPEN UNTIL THE 14TH AND NOW I AM VERY UPSET

Denmark
02-09-2013, 08:27 PM
giving/getting nothing lol

i might treat myself to a special dinner or something

Night Fury
02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I RECEIVED A PACKAGE YESTERDAY AND BECAME EXCITED IN MY PANTZ BUT THERE WAS A NOTE ON IT THAT SAID DON'T OPEN UNTIL THE 14TH AND NOW I AM VERY UPSET

I also have a package I cannot open until the 14th :(

Bubba
02-10-2013, 08:55 AM

I do hope these kind young gentleman have a package of their own to open in return?

~*~Celes~*~
02-10-2013, 10:15 AM
he's "planning a little something" and if i play the guessing game and get it right, he won't do it, so I'm not guessing :colbert:

Shorty
02-10-2013, 06:33 PM

I do hope these kind young gentleman have a package of their own to open in return?

itt bubba likes ruining valentine's surprises

Xannidel
02-10-2013, 06:49 PM
I do not want any gifts, I will still spoil my gf by taking her out to a movie of her choice followed by a home cooked meal and a gift that is not flowers or candy. Well I suppose she COULD eat her gift but I would really advise her not to.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Probably calling my grandma and wishing her a happy birthday. As for gifts? Nadda. Maybe I will gift myself a night in and watch movies, maybe have a friend over. If I am feeling really blue: a one night stand. :p

Jinx
02-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Even when I had a serious relationship on Valentine's, I still didn't give a fuck. He cooked me dinner and we had sex. That's really about as much as I want for VD.

Denmark
02-10-2013, 08:27 PM
VD

you probably don't want to get VD on VD though

krissy
02-10-2013, 08:27 PM
that is usually how you get vd too ;)

edit DENMAKR YOU MORHTEDFSDUOUF