PDA

View Full Version : Best Sphere Grid for Kimahri

Freya
01-28-2013, 09:53 PM

As you may or may not know, Kimahri (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/481-ff10-characters.html)'s sphere grid is tiny. So tiny in fact he has to go to other's sphere grids to level up at all! I've never been a big fan of the guy but as I'm working through the game again I've decided to give him another go. I have just reached the point of his sphere grid running out of nodes. I need to use a lvl 1 unlock and go into someone else's grid. I haven't used him much to this point so most people are further than him. I decided to use him now at the thunderplains so he's now just stocking up on moves.

What's the best sphere grid for him? Where should I go?

Pumpkin
01-29-2013, 05:51 AM
I usually go for either Auron or Tidus' sphere grid. I would pick Auron's first.

Pete for President
01-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Tidus' grid is a good choice. It never hurts to have another party member who's able to cast hastega.

Nebulance
01-29-2013, 12:31 PM

As you may or may not know, Kimahri (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/481-ff10-characters.html)'s sphere grid is tiny. So tiny in fact he has to go to other's sphere grids to level up at all! I've never been a big fan of the guy but as I'm working through the game again I've decided to give him another go. I have just reached the point of his sphere grid running out of nodes. I need to use a lvl 1 unlock and go into someone else's grid. I haven't used him much to this point so most people are further than him. I decided to use him now at the thunderplains so he's now just stocking up on moves.

What's the best sphere grid for him? Where should I go?

I usually go for either Auron or Tidus' sphere grid. I would pick Auron's first.

I agree -- Auron's first. I have also noticed that he tends to be hard to keep up with following the battle with Seymour on the Highbridge, since I tend to level everyone up a lot so as to make the battle with Seymour easier. So what I tend to do, after that battle, is leave him in the party and get him to catch up to everyone else. Since doing this, he's a useful and formidable member of the party now.

Freya
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
I hear having him go through rikku's sphere grid is the best idea. Thoughts?

Flaming Ice
01-29-2013, 04:46 PM
HA..I put him in lulu's .....probably wasn't the best.

Pumpkin
01-29-2013, 05:03 PM

I guess it really depends what you want to do with him. I mean Rikku was fun and all with her steal and she was quite fast, but let's face it, she wasn't necessarily one of the best characters in a fight. The reason I usually went with Auron was because Kimahri, to me, seems like a damage dealer. His piercing ability and the way he builds up on his own sphere grid are what made me think that. Auron was a very good damage dealer. Kimahri also didn't really need high amounts of MP with the abilities he had, and having another physical damage dealer is never a bad thing. I think he also had a good amount of defense. The second best damage dealer is Wakka I believe, after Auron, but the reason I went with Tidus is if you want Kimahri to follow more along his ability side of things (lancet, jynx, overdrive) he seems kind of like a support character. Tidus has a sphere grid with abilities like cheer and hastega. Hastega is a very useful ability. Also Tidus isn't a bad attacker and his physical stats go up a good enough amount. When they all have their sphere grids completed, I usually send Auron down Wakka's grid, which means Kimahri follow suit, and I always thought that the stats and abilities in both of those sphere grids suited what I wanted him to do.

Really I think it depends what you want him to do in battle.

Formalhaut
01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
I actually went with Kimahri because for me my three main damage dealers were always Auron, Lulu and Wakka. If I needed haste, I'd bring in Tidus, and if I needed healing, Yuna. There's not really many other options left for Kimahri. Sending him down the "support" role as a second supporter is a sound option as well though.

I sent him down Rikku's path, mainly for steal and use. Having a second stealer is incredibly useful when your seeking a rare item or farming something. While this does make him alot weaker due to the lack of strength boosts, your other characters can compensate and to be fair Kimahri is more of optional flavouring for the main storyline. Once you get friend spheres and other advanced spheres, you can then send him for more strength when he most needs it: the post-game.

qwertysaur
01-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Get Steal and Use from Rikku's grid, then send him wherever you want. Al Bhed potions are very useful and having more thieves is always a good thing.

Pete for President
01-29-2013, 10:25 PM

Valid option. His higher HP makes for a much more sturdy thief. I hate it when Rikku steals and gets KO'd on the next hit.

Formalhaut
01-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Yeah, to be fair:

Attacking roles: Covered by Auron, Wakka and magically by Lulu. Seriously, Lulu is freaking powerful

Defensive/healing: Yuna mainly, Wakka's status ailments do come on handy

Supportive: Yuna and Tidus, hell, even Rikku's mix is very supportive based

This doesn't leave Kimahri with much to capitalise on because everyone sort of fills a role anyway. However, steal and use is only available traditionally by just one character: Rikku. She at the beginning is incredibly fragile. Kimahri has the initial defence and HP boosts from his centre portion of the grid, alongside Rikku's initial HP boosts in her first "circle" area (I counted like three or four in just that short sphere) so he is alot sturdier. Sure, his attack goes down the pan, but then that's why you have Auron, Lulu and Wakka when you don't need stealing or use.

Roogle
01-30-2013, 12:11 AM
I think a character as large and hulking as Kimahri belongs on the Sphere Grid of Auron or Wakka. It looks a bit unseemly to have a character as large and bulky as Kimahri casting White Magic or stealing items from enemies.

Raistlin
01-30-2013, 03:52 PM
I went the Auron route first, as I also thought of Kimahri as a damage dealer. Tidus would be my second choice. Of course, I never actually used Kimahri much.

Karifean
01-30-2013, 10:18 PM
The main reason you'll want to send Kimahri down Rikku's path is so you can steal a lot of Lv. 3 Key Spheres from Biran and Yenke, they are quite rare at that point in time and definitely useful to get in that battle. Also, whoever you send down the first part of Rikku's grid gets an abundance of HP plus some pretty good stat boosts (not to mention the +8 STR at the end). So yeah, Rikku's path is definitely not a bad idea.

Unfortunately, there's no way to quickly cross over to Auron's path (if I remember correctly, you have to take quite a detour) or it wouldn't even warrant a discussion. :D

Raistlin
01-31-2013, 03:23 AM
Unfortunately, there's no way to quickly cross over to Auron's path (if I remember correctly, you have to take quite a detour) or it wouldn't even warrant a discussion. :D

Now that you mention it, I think I did go up through someone else's path a short ways before getting to Auron's. I think it was Tidus.

Pumpkin
01-31-2013, 03:52 AM
It does, to me, work out well if you go through Tidus because he's pretty close to Auron's path, so you can get the best of both worlds that way too.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-31-2013, 04:07 AM
If you're desperate for another member who can steal, go for it. I never felt the need to have anyone besides Rikku steal, and I got all the rare items I needed with out more hassle than expected.

Someone like Kimahri just seems suited as the damage dealer/meat shield person. I'd also go the Auron/Tidus route.

Plus, once you send him through Tidus's sphere grid, you can leave Tidus out of your part more often. You can almost let yourself forget he's even in the game. :jess:

Jinx
03-21-2013, 05:45 PM
I've been replaying FFX, and for the first time ever, I sent Kimahri down Wakka's path. I actually paid attention for the first time and did just send him down a random path.

I'm really surprised and pleased with how useful Kimahri is this time around.

Which path do you usually send him down? Why?

Flaming Ice
03-21-2013, 06:35 PM
I sent him down lulu's path for extra magic...don't think it turned out so well.

But usually they make a few bosses where physical damage doesn't do much so I thought it would've helped.

Freya
03-22-2013, 02:13 AM
o.o (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-x/148331-best-sphere-grid-kimahri.html)

Jinx
03-22-2013, 02:15 AM
I seriously did not even see this.

Slothy
03-22-2013, 03:15 AM
Threads merged. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Pete for President
03-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Wakka's path is great for Kimahri. His higher MP and Strength make him a pretty solid blend of damage dealing status afflicter. I always send him down this path first, and later join Auron's path when available. I also tend to use a White Magic Sphere to teach him Hastega.

Jinx
03-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Wakka's path is great for Kimahri. His higher MP and Strength make him a pretty solid blend of damage dealing status afflicter. I always send him down this path first, and later join Auron's path when available. I also tend to use a White Magic Sphere to teach him Hastega.

Okay, so Auron's path ISN'T available at first, right?

This thread was sort of confusing me. Especially since I looked for it at the beginning of the game.

EDIT: That is, isn't available because it's not near Kimahri's original path.

Pete for President
03-24-2013, 01:52 AM

Okay, so Auron's path ISN'T available at first, right?

This thread was sort of confusing me. Especially since I looked for it at the beginning of the game.

EDIT: That is, isn't available because it's not near Kimahri's original path.

Wakka's first, then Auron's at the next intersection. Auron's is available from the beginning, but Wakka's, Tidus' and Auron's connect at several points and I prefer taking Kimahri down Wakka's path before merging with Auron's.

Depression Moon
03-24-2013, 02:31 AM
On my first playthrough I mistakenly put him in Wakka's, which just lead me to dropping him eventually. After that Tidus first then Rikku, Those Al Bhed potions are something else.

Shiny
03-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Rikku is completely useless once I get the Use ability for him , Tidus' Haste ability (or is it Yuna's? I had Tidus learn haste as well), and then I bring him over to Auron's grid for all the piercing abilities and leveling.

Remmy
03-26-2013, 11:33 PM
I admit I always made Kimahri an Auron/Tidus crossover, because he physically looked the part. Except now, with the HD Remake coming out, I've been thinking about my next playthrough I feel like saying "That's stereotyping! You can be a magical Ronso if you want, Kimahri!"

So he'll be my Black/White mage on my next go. I'll also probably kill off everyone else in combat and make him much more 'leveled' than the rest. That way he can be on par with Lulu.

CimminyCricket
03-27-2013, 12:17 AM
I wish I could tell you what I did, but I played FFX so long that everyone has maxed almost every sphere grid. It's all about what you want to use him for. If you want him to be fast and strong take him through Tidus. If you want him to be strong and high on HP take him to Auron. I know that I didn't take him down Yuna, Lulu or Rikku's path first, just because I saw him as this big muscular man-monster that needed high attack. xD