PDA

View Full Version : Trying Something Different

Faris
01-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Just recently I registered with a different gym which has some new and interesting classes. The one I tried yesterday was Anti-Gravity Yoga. Essentially I got to hang from the ceiling and do a bunch of different things like this:

http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/AGY-1.jpg

...and do flips. It was a lot of fun and frightening for a person like me who isn't comfortable with heights but I loved hanging upside down!

So EoFF what different or unusual things have you tried?

Shauna
01-29-2013, 04:09 PM
I went outside today. That was a crazy thing.

(srs answer: Not tried anything new recently. If I get this job that'll be something new, but that is not a certainty. So for now, no. xD)

Flaming Ice
01-29-2013, 04:14 PM
I went outside today. That was a crazy thing.

But the apocalypse...I'm still in my bomb shelter...you're insane! :eek:

Shorty
01-29-2013, 06:10 PM
I rarely try new things. Comfort zooone.

Bubba
01-29-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm going to do some wall-climbing with a friend in March which should be fun. Just trying to build up the upper half of my body so I've got the arm strength to do it.

Pumpkin
01-29-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm going back to the gym now, trying out a few different classes, and I also started neatly organizing a schedule in an agenda that i keep on my desk. I'm trying to stay on top of the cleaning more and I'm still learning to drive a manual transmission car. I'm still trying to get a job and have now decided to harass the Home Depot until they give me one.

Aulayna
01-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Just recently I registered with a different gym which has some new and interesting classes. The one I tried yesterday was Anti-Gravity Yoga. Essentially I got to hang from the ceiling and do a bunch of different things like this:

http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/AGY-1.jpg

...and do flips. It was a lot of fun and frightening for a person like me who isn't comfortable with heights but I loved hanging upside down!

So EoFF what different or unusual things have you tried?

That looks... fun. (oddly)

Chris
01-29-2013, 07:18 PM
I went out on a date with a woman last week, and it was actually fun.

NorthernChaosGod
01-29-2013, 07:34 PM
I tried butt sex recently. I still can't sit down. :(

Shorty
01-29-2013, 07:37 PM
I tried butt sex recently.

quoted forever

Chris
01-29-2013, 07:40 PM
I tried butt sex recently. I still can't sit down. :(
If advice is needed, I can certainly provide, buddy.

Pumpkin
01-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Chris, these might be a little uncomfortable but do you think... do you think you might be a homosexual?

TrollHunter
01-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Considering how much respect ive gotten for it through kung fu, im joining my future colleges yoga club.
Ive gotten back into rock climbing as well, god ive missed it... Though not exactly new

Im now learning how to draw properly, its... Going better than expected
Also, i try to have one bizzaro combination of food every few nights for fun

Chris
01-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Chris, these might be a little uncomfortable but do you think... do you think you might be a homosexual?
Someone at work once asked me: "Are you sure you're gay? You seem really normal." :stare:

Pumpkin
01-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Someone at work once asked me: "Are you sure you're gay? You seem really normal." :stare:

I don't know if I should be laughing at that, but I am.

Also I noticed I wrote these instead of this, so correction.

*this

qwertysaur
01-30-2013, 12:20 AM
I downloaded a game called Hatoful boyfriend. It's really weird. :|

Tigmafuzz
01-30-2013, 01:20 AM
I don't think it would be appropriate for me to mention most of the new things I've been trying recently >.>

I downloaded a game called Hatoful boyfriend. It's really weird. :|

I had a dream last night where I combined Yume Nikki with Katawa Shoujo and got to see what would happen when you turn handicapped people into a cat and stab them and such. It was a great dream. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Raistlin
01-30-2013, 03:07 AM
I ate breakfast today.

Hey, that's different for me.

Pheesh
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Windows 8. Eh.

yukina
01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
I took classes in Filipino stick martial arts. Gimme an umbrella and I shall show you people my (fail) badassery :)))

TrollHunter
01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
I took classes in Filipino stick martial arts. Gimme an umbrella and I shall show you people my (fail) badassery :)))

That sounds like fun :o
Ive got to look that up now

Araciel
01-31-2013, 12:26 AM
I tried All Bran bars.

nop.

Shlup
01-31-2013, 12:45 AM
That looks amazing. Do they have prenatal anti-gravity yoga? I really enjoyed yoga in college, but when I took a class outside of college the teacher bummed me out so I didn't go again. She kept insisting we step from plank into a half-fold, but my thigh hits my torso well before getting up between my hands, and she'd always give me crap for it. I've never been able to figure out how to step into that pose; I don't know what the deal is.

The only "new" thing I've done lately is attempt to grow a human, but that's not really unusual.

Citizen Bleys
01-31-2013, 12:48 AM
Such bad timing. I am trying something new right now, but I'm not allowed to talk about it yet :(

Shlup
01-31-2013, 12:52 AM
Well now I'm thinking the absolute worst. Or best, depending on your mental state.

Shorty
01-31-2013, 12:53 AM
I lied when I said I hadn't tried anything different lately! I've begun to start snapping photos.

Citizen Bleys
01-31-2013, 12:59 AM
Well now I'm thinking the absolute worst. Or best, depending on your mental state.

Police are not involved.

Anymore.

Faris
01-31-2013, 01:05 AM
That looks amazing. Do they have prenatal anti-gravity yoga? I really enjoyed yoga in college, but when I took a class outside of college the teacher bummed me out so I didn't go again. She kept insisting we step from plank into a half-fold, but my thigh hits my torso well before getting up between my hands, and she'd always give me crap for it. I've never been able to figure out how to step into that pose; I don't know what the deal is.

The only "new" thing I've done lately is attempt to grow a human, but that's not really unusual.

I wouldn't know if they have prenatal anti-gravity yoga. It all looks rather new to the market as well since the gym I go to is the only one in my area offering the classes. Wow what a loser that instructor was! There's a beginner and intermediate side to almost every pose, which every instructor should cover because everyone's body is different and not used to some of the movements.

PS: I would pay to see you do anti-gravity yoga while pregnant... so long as it's safe to you and the internal human.

Shlup
01-31-2013, 01:25 AM
I really doubt there's anti-gravity prenatal yoga. xD It would be super fun, though I think BJ would drag me out of there by my heels; he doesn't even like me taking bubble baths.

Yeah, that instructor was a pain. She kept telling us what to do and what not to do based on what she thought we should be able to do, rather than what we were comfortable with. Like she didn't want us doing pigeon pose, which we're fine with, but seemed displeased by my perpetually weak arms. What a buttface.

Sephex
01-31-2013, 01:34 AM
Trying to be an adult and actually making a major purchase hopefully (condo).

Faris
01-31-2013, 01:44 AM
Probably not doing flips, hanging upside down, or the splits mid air but there are some simple things you can do like swing, stretch, and lay in it like a hammock.

Oh jeeze, I have weak arms as well but... jeeze xD My very first instructor was pregnant while she taught, so there's definitely options if you ever wanted to pick it up again.

TrollHunter
01-31-2013, 01:55 AM
If you can't find any luck with yoga, you could always try and find a decent tai chi school.
It does amazing things for stress, strength, balance and breathing, while being the perfect form of exercise for use with a life form growing inside of you.
Tai Chi During Pregnancy (http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=34)

NorthernChaosGod
01-31-2013, 03:08 AM
Windows 8. Eh.

It's okay once you customize it to work like 7. :p

Shlup
01-31-2013, 03:13 AM
Probably not doing flips, hanging upside down, or the splits mid air but there are some simple things you can do like swing, stretch, and lay in it like a hammock.

Oh jeeze, I have weak arms as well but... jeeze xD My very first instructor was pregnant while she taught, so there's definitely options if you ever wanted to pick it up again.

I can do those things! Especially the last one! Sold!

Miriel
01-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Del Murder and I spent the other day running around San Francisco with laser tags, trying to wipe out enemy spies. It was during this escapade that I discovered that I am a smurfing amazing sniper.

It was a lot of fun.

Tigmafuzz
01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Del Murder and I spent the other day running around San Francisco with laser tags, trying to wipe out enemy spies. It was during this escapade that I discovered that I am a smurfing amazing sniper.

It was a lot of fun.

Spat would be proud :bigsmile:

yukina
01-31-2013, 12:04 PM

Really fun and extremely painful. Haha. Here's a clip of the art of arnis if you'd like ARNIS FIGHTING - Grand Master Galo D. Lalic (Exclusive Interview) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFRC5sxPmJ8). Now those are just sticks. Replace them with knives and that's basically one of the bloodiest defense systems. :))))

I Took the Red Pill
01-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Ate a balut in Saigon.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-31-2013, 09:01 PM
I've tried eating healthier recently.

Over time cravings for unhealthy drinks and foods have gone down, while the other day I found myself thinking "I really want an apple right now".

That's a plus in my book.

TrollHunter
01-31-2013, 11:55 PM

Really fun and extremely painful. Haha. Here's a clip of the art of arnis if you'd like ARNIS FIGHTING - Grand Master Galo D. Lalic (Exclusive Interview) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFRC5sxPmJ8). Now those are just sticks. Replace them with knives and that's basically one of the bloodiest defense systems. :))))

Doesn't really look like it's for me. Looks really cool mind you, but I much prefer the more colorful short stick forms found in shaolin kung fu.
While it may not be as practical in this day in age, by god is it enjoyable.
Watching him spin the double nunchaku made me a bit sad though. I missed the day we were learning that at our school :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGrMIR9_N9o
This is what I want to learn when I hit... I think 1st or 2nd degree black belt.
Also, funfact: It took me a minute to realize, but he goes to the same branch of school I do~ Same Gi, patches and everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bio8rXx5zA
This is another good example, though the music and commentary is quite cheesy ^^

yukina
02-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Doesn't really look like it's for me. Looks really cool mind you, but I much prefer the more colorful short stick forms found in shaolin kung fu.
Watching him spin the double nunchaku made me a bit sad though. I missed the day we were learning that at our school :(

Shaolin Double Broadsword in Thailand - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGrMIR9_N9o)
This is what I want to learn when I hit... I think 1st or 2nd degree black belt.
Also, funfact: It took me a minute to realize, but he goes to the same branch of school I do~ Same Gi, patches and everything.

Bak Sil Lum (Northern Shaolin) - Double Broadsword Sample - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bio8rXx5zA)
This is another good example, though the music and commentary is quite cheesy ^^

Arnis is actually pretty translatable in real life. You saw the double stick and nunchaku but it's a whole lot more than that. Arnis pretty much enforces the use of the non-dominant hand in battle (the battle style in the movie 300 is based on arnis \m/). We're also taught how to fight using only one weapon and with our bare hands, including disarming and sweeping your enemy off his feet. Mucho amazing when such a small person like me knocks a giant off his feet. :))

TrollHunter
02-04-2013, 04:22 AM

Shaolin Double Broadsword in Thailand - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGrMIR9_N9o)

Bak Sil Lum (Northern Shaolin) - Double Broadsword Sample - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bio8rXx5zA)

Arnis is actually pretty translatable in real life. You saw the double stick and nunchaku but it's a whole lot more than that. Arnis pretty much enforces the use of the non-dominant hand in battle (the battle style in the movie 300 is based on arnis \m/). We're also taught how to fight using only one weapon and with our bare hands, including disarming and sweeping your enemy off his feet. Mucho amazing when such a small person like me knocks a giant off his feet. :))

I never said Arnis wasn't viable in real scenarios, actually quite the opposite. Wait, 300? Really? Wow, the more you know. That's really cool actually.
It seems like a very practical and powerful art, and I very well may hunt down a school for it in the future.
And that kind of stuff is taught in Shaolin too. Though I'm not 100% sure about disarming. Now that would be fun.I think Judo teaches sweeps and throws the best though (considering thats what it revolves around). Shaolin Kung Fu has a TON of
Bo Staff
3-Sectional Staff
Nunchaku
Double Nunchaku
Broadsword
Double broadsword
Straight Sword
Gwan Dao (Kwan Tao)
Tonfa (Tuifa)
Chain-Whip
Iron Fan
9-ring Broadsword
Short Stick
etc. etc. but it's only a fraction of the content. There are too many unarmed forms and styles to count, and they are split into external and internal forms. External is your loud blatantly violent forms, where internal is your quiet graceful meditative forms. Internal forms are more my style~
Example of internal: Tai Chi Chuan. Waterbending in Avatar the Last Airbender is based off of Tai Chi, and it's VERY faithful to the movements and idea of it. Going as far as Tai Chi stemming from Taoism where water was a very common metaphor made for how to live life.
It's also very effective in real life, because it's based on yielding, sensitivity, and using your opponents weight against them. Not to mention how, as I previously stated in this thread, it's a VERY effective way to combat stress and strengthen yourself not only physically but also mentally and spiritually.

An external art would be more akin to tiger, monkey, dragon, etc. All very very fun styles.
REAL SHAOLIN KUNG FU!! (monkey/pole) Shifu Wang Bo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3BUWNogKZA)

Oh... were we talking about something? I tend to go on tangents when discussing this kind of stuff. I apologize.