PDA

View Full Version : A Song of Icebeam and Fire Fang

Skyblade
01-29-2013, 05:45 PM
*Sigh*
Now I have to buy a Wii U.

That's right, Nintendo's Pokemon franchise is returning to consoles for a new crossover.

The first of several planned games has just been announced, bringing Pokemon to the world of George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire.

The player takes the role of an original character in the story. Designer Junichi Masuda said that this allowed them to tone down some of the more mature aspects of the series, as well as freeing the player from being tied too strictly to the actions of any one character in the books.

The game is still going to be the darkest and most mature Pokemon game to date, however, which necessitated the port to a full console.

Unfortunately, there's only a little artwork and information available at this time. We have a shot of Yveltal, the new legendary from Pokemon X and Y, serving as the sigil for house Baratheon, so they're probably going to have more of X and Y's Pokemon in the game. There's also a shot of someone who I think has to be Ned Stark standing next to a Scyther, so... Yeah. Awkward.

Unfortunately, I'm posting on my phone right now, so I can't put in links, but if someone else could, that'd be great. If not, I'll update this when I get home.

Polnareff
01-29-2013, 10:42 PM
So weird, somebody on GameFAQs was talking about how Pokemon was inspired by A Song of Ice and Fire, but they got lambasted to hell and back. Now this is happening? I better post this in that thread.

Red Mage Coffman
01-29-2013, 10:56 PM
*Sigh*
Now I have to buy a Wii U.

That's right, Nintendo's Pokemon franchise is returning to consoles for a new crossover.

The first of several planned games has just been announced, bringing Pokemon to the world of George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire.

The player takes the role of an original character in the story. Designer Junichi Masuda said that this allowed them to tone down some of the more mature aspects of the series, as well as freeing the player from being tied too strictly to the actions of any one character in the books.

The game is still going to be the darkest and most mature Pokemon game to date, however, which necessitated the port to a full console.

Unfortunately, there's only a little artwork and information available at this time. We have a shot of Yveltal, the new legendary from Pokemon X and Y, serving as the sigil for house Baratheon, so they're probably going to have more of X and Y's Pokemon in the game. There's also a shot of someone who I think has to be Ned Stark standing next to a Scyther, so... Yeah. Awkward.

Unfortunately, I'm posting on my phone right now, so I can't put in links, but if someone else could, that'd be great. If not, I'll update this when I get home.

No offense, but I hope you're wrong. Cause then I'm am gonna have to buy a Wii U AND A 3DS.

Bolivar
01-29-2013, 11:34 PM
Sky, what compelled you to make this up?

Formalhaut
01-29-2013, 11:40 PM

Yeah, April 1st is a loooong way away.

Skyblade
01-29-2013, 11:42 PM

Well, the original idea came from a very, very long running joke from my work.

As to why I wrote it up and posted it... That's due to lack of sleep, which interferes with my good judgement and makes me an evil man.

Besides, no one believes an April Fool's joke if it happens on April 1st anymore. And if I was going to do it as an April Fool's joke, I'd enlist a couple of our artists to get some good artwork going and toss it up on Serebii or Bulbapedia. You can't expect me to sit on something this much fun for two months anyway.

Formalhaut
01-29-2013, 11:51 PM
What if, someone on April 1st posts a true news story that's so ridiculous, everyone says that it's false. That will catch people out eh?

Roogle
01-30-2013, 12:08 AM
This sounds ridiculous. I hope no one actually believes this. This tumblr (http://asoiap.tumblr.com/) would explain why Pokemon and A Song of Ice and Fire sounds and looks ridiculous.

Polnareff
01-30-2013, 01:23 AM
To be fair, I had no idea what A Song of Ice and Fire was, and had just heard that some aspects of Pokemon were inspired by it. But after looking at that link.....yeah.

Bolivar
01-30-2013, 01:37 AM
You know dude, there was a very small part of me that was worried this might be true, so hats off to you my friend.

Skyblade
01-30-2013, 04:35 AM
This sounds ridiculous. I hope no one actually believes this. This tumblr (http://asoiap.tumblr.com/) would explain why Pokemon and A Song of Ice and Fire sounds and looks ridiculous.

I don't see why. They put This Guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oda_Nobunaga-Portrait_by_Giovanni_NIcolao.jpg) into a Pokemon game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon_Conquest) and it worked fine.

Polnareff
01-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Pokemon Conquest actually did make even less sense than this whole thing. It was a good game, but ultimately it was total nonsense. Kinda like the Fire Emblem/SMT crossover that's coming up.

qwertysaur
01-30-2013, 04:19 PM
But pokémon conquest also works in a weird way. :p