PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Class and Professor

Wolf Kanno
01-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Fun exercise I did in class. Talk about the best class and professor you ever had, and the worst class and professor. They don't have to be related, so if you had one cool classroom setting in English but your favorite professor taught Bohemian Poetry Jam session then you can talk about either.

Slothy
01-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Worst class and professor was definitely business ethics in my first year University on both. The class was awful because it was more of an intro to philosophy than anything to do with actual ethics in business, and the Prof was awful because you couldn't hear the man speak. He was also pretty awful because instead of giving something resembling an actual mid term or exam to see what you knew, or at least what you could argue, his tests went like this: there might be three questions on the exam but a few classes before hand he'd give you three possible questions which he might use for each of the three on the test, and he'd give you the choice between answering one of two of them on the test. So studying wasn't so much a matter of studying as it was writing down the questions, taking them home and answering two of them, then memorizing the answer for the test. Don't get me wrong though, that was kind of nice since he was such an ineffective teacher, but it was also utterly boring and I got nothing useful from it except the A on my transcript.

Best class is a bit harder. I'm somewhat tempted to go with either the one marketing class I took or the introductory financial accounting class. The former just because I liked the group project (liked it so much that I basically hijacked it from my group and did the whole thing myself), and the latter because I was still actually interested in accounting at the time and found it interesting, if quite a bit on the easy side. It also helped that my favourite prof taught that class. Her husband was a partner with my dad's firm so she was a friend of the family and everything, but also really good at teaching the class too. Actually, she might have been the only prof I had in my years in University that wasn't at least slightly bad at their job. She also got me some work as her TA a year or so later and with the publisher of one of her textbooks updating chapter questions and the like for an update to one of the textbooks she wrote. Hard not to like someone who is not only a good teacher but hooks you up with a couple of dead simple jobs that net you a couple of grand.

Raistlin
01-31-2013, 12:06 AM
I have to name a couple. When you've gone to school constantly until you were 25, you have a lot of great and bad classes/professors.

In high school, my favorite teacher taught my favorite class: AP English. We had such a great time; I even took the class for two years because that's generally what the AP students did (one year for AP Eng Language, the other for AP Eng Lit, though I'm pretty sure the AP tests themselves were largely indistinguishable). We read interesting books, had great discussions, and the whole class got along really well. We also had the most memorable field trips of my grade school career, week-long trips to New Hampshire/Massachusetts (for the transcendentalists) and to Key West, Florida (I went to a private school so we could do fun things like that). My teacher was a little crazy in that she believed firmly in ghosts (and had previously interacted with them) and other superstitions, but she was a great teacher and a great person.

In college I had another professor for two classes, US Legal History and Criminal Justice, which were two of my favorites. In the former we had a mock trial which was great fun, and the latter was my only A+ in college. The professor was a hilarious and very intelligent guy, and really made you think. One of the only college professors I would just sit and chat to. He probably had the most impact on me of anyone in college, as he really made me confident about law school.

Honorable mention: my law school Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure professor (and his classes), who was amazing. For example: for Crim Pro, he showed us the season 5 opening of The Wire. He made me really want to do criminal defense work.

As far as worst classes and worst professors, I can name it in one: Property in law school, and the professor for it. My god, was that an awful class. First off, real property law is one of the worst of the "main" legal subjects to study. It's archaic and arbitrary and is basically a caricature of the law. And the professor didn't make it any better. He was boring and loved to pontificate on random, useless facts, and so made it impossible to pay attention for any length of time. I just browsed the internet and g-chatted with classmates.

(Dis)Honorable Mention: First Amendment professor, who was so old and senile and apathetic that he was literally incapable of teaching anything. He didn't get "worst," though, as I felt free to ignore him or not even show up for class, and I got an A.

Pike
01-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Best class: Darkroom photography in college. I loved that class. I spent so many hours in the darkroom.

Best teacher: Algebra II teacher. I have no idea how she did it but she made Algebra II fun and easy to understand.

I can't think of any particular "worsts" right now but I'll give a shoutout to my US Government teacher who spent most of the class putting on Law & Order reruns for us to watch while she went off and did... I dunno, online poker or something

Raistlin
01-31-2013, 12:21 AM
I can't think of any particular "worsts" right now but I'll give a shoutout to my US Government teacher who spent most of the class putting on Law & Order reruns for us to watch while she went off and did... I dunno, online poker or something

What's so bad about that? :confused:

EDIT: Wait, it was the real Law & Order, right? None of that SVU crap.

Pike
01-31-2013, 11:10 AM

What's so bad about that? :confused:

EDIT: Wait, it was the real Law & Order, right? None of that SVU crap.

It was actually pretty great, I'm not gonna lie. xD

Night Fury
01-31-2013, 11:18 AM
I really like a few of my teachers.

There was my hilarious film studies teacher Nick, oh god, the man was batshit crazy but was sooooo funny. Some of the things he said were totally inappropriate, but so funny. They updated the college in my second year, and all the teachers got these like, ID cards to wear round their necks, and Nick would stomp around the halls pretending he was in some like spy movie or something and 'swipe' his card into invisible doors and pop out from round corridors putting on a Sean Connery voice and stuff. He was a total legend.

My Philosophy teacher Andrea, because she spent a lot of time with me when I was a really shy and awkward girl in my first year of college. I would genuinely not be the person I am today without her, she was not only a teacher but an inspirational mentor. She was just amazing and we still talk now! She gave me so many opportunities and chances to shine.

I also loved those classes the most, Philosophy because I was damn good at it and Film because it was funny as fuck.

Shorty
01-31-2013, 04:51 PM
I haven't had a good teacher since the sixth grade and they have all been the worst since.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-31-2013, 07:34 PM
I think worst prof was my Religious Behaviour prof. Just read from the text book. That was it. And it was at like 8:30am. -__-;

My worst class? Probably my Mass Culture in Post-War Japan class that became a Japanese crime fiction class and having our papers be more lit. theory than actually about culture.

Best prof? Too many really good profs. I'd have to say one of the last-year grad students who was a lecturer in my final year, she was awesome. And my prof from last semester in a class that was filed under religious studies but was essentially about existentialism and the ethical development of the self and other.

Best class? TOO MANY. I have had some awesome, though sometimes hard classes. Religious Ethics was solid, so was the class I mentioned in the last paragraph, any of my Japanese Religion classes. Also, my Theories of Religion was fun, if at times difficult. :D

Basically, my favourite classes and profs have always been my religious studies ones followed by my philosophy ones. Obviously, I have had classes where profs worked in both departments or the course material covered both fields.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-31-2013, 09:22 PM
One time I played a really cool game and I was a 1st Class SOLDIER. Or at least I thought I was. Anyway, that was my best class.

Professor Oak was a really cool guy. He gave me my first Pokemon and I went on to beat the elite four. Professor Elm wasn't such a bad guy either.

I might give serious answers another time.

krissy
01-31-2013, 09:26 PM
in preschool i cried one day and the teacher made me get down on the floor and have the class circle around me and point and laugh at the crier

the bar was pretty easy to get over ever since then so i can't really complain about any teacher, i just can't recall anything that really infuriates me now that im so old

in undergrad we had this wonderful sci-fi/fantasy english class prof. he kept telling me to watch battlestar galactica (and had a shirt) but i never did it. hope he's all right, he was very old though.