PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy and its peers

Wolf Kanno
01-30-2013, 10:57 PM
When the original Final Fantasy came out, it was up against Dragon Quest II and Phantasy Star, so among the three games, which is your favorite and what are your thoughts about FF in relation to its peers?

ShinGundam
01-31-2013, 03:18 AM
What set FF apart from DQ, PS1 and many of 80s JRPG is, FF1 had load of combat options like 60 commands and the battle system at glance looks original (of course it is copied to death), It isn't an ARPG nor 3D RPG (AKA first preson).

Of course, PS1 had a better character design than FF or DQ.

Personally, I am not into any of them. My favorite 80s games are XZR, Valis, The Scheme, Sorcerian, Zeliard, The Rogus, Diva and Warning Type 68.

VeloZer0
01-31-2013, 07:33 AM
Every time I try and branch out into the wider world of RPGs beyond FF I always end up thinking how much better I like FF games than their contemporaries for just about every console generation.

black orb
01-31-2013, 09:15 PM
>>> Never played Dragon Quest II or Phantasy Star, even if I play them I guess FF1 will still my fav..:luca:
Anyways FF1 wins because of those 3 genius: Amano, Uematsu and Sakaguchi.. It was bound to be a success.

DQ had another genius, Akira Toriyama but thats just one.

theundeadhero
02-03-2013, 08:37 AM
FFI is my favorite FF game so it's hard to compare it to the other games of the time. I've played through many of the others but didn't enjoy them near as much.

Gamblet
02-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Every time I try and branch out into the wider world of RPGs beyond FF I always end up thinking how much better I like FF games than their contemporaries for just about every console generation.

Laddy
02-04-2013, 03:55 PM
FFI. But Phantasy Star doesn't get enough love.

I've always appreciated that Phantasy Star had a female protagonist long before that was a commonplace thing. So kudos to them.