PDA

View Full Version : Havn't been here lately. But a 7 nut yesterday drew me back with some thoughts....

toad626
01-31-2013, 06:31 AM
<xml><w:worddocument><w:p</w</w:worddocument></xml>Ok I can’t take this anymore. Just had a stupid argument with a 7 fan. This must be said. I’m a long term series fan yes pre 7. 7 was my 5th Final Fantasy by the time of it’s release in 97 (had a part translated version of FF5 for pc for you nutty counters saying how is that possible). Now in our society when something becomes too cool or too popular the tendency is that it must be taken down or trash the new people. This was not the problem with us pre 7 fans. At least not with me. I’m all for expanding the fan base to all who want to experience this series. So why do I get annoyed with the 7 fans then you ask? Simple load up a new tab and google cosplay final fantasy or final fantasy costumes. To go AVGN, of all the people to join our fanbase, why in the name of F*** did it have to be the anime freaks. Anyone, anyone but them. We got the one group that make trekkies, TREKKIES look cool. They gave us a bad name. Before when you said that your favorite games were final fantasy people really didn’t know what you were talking about. Post 7, you mention it and they automatically think an emo, anime geek. Thanks you creepy cosplay 7 fans for lumping us normal people into your weird twisted false reality. You have redefined a Final Fantasy fan into something else that us normals didn’t want nor did we want to be associated with you freaks.

And then they went off running their mouth how it was the greatest thing ever trashing every video game in sight and nothing compared. Oh and that was great fun hearing these FF experts trash FF 9 on its release. Why do you all run your mouth that it is the greatest video game ever? It got so annoying that the older fans started to compare it to 6 in an attempt to shut them down or humble them. For the record my opinion 6>7. But 7 doesn't suck. Had you kept your mouths shut the 6 and 7 comparison fan fighting would never have happened. Some of us actually like both games.

Fast forward to the idiotic conversation I had yesterday. I’m not starting a remake discussion, just some pointers and things for people to think about. Look folks, does 7 need a remake? Is it your favorite game or not? Too many based that decision on graphics at the time and for some reason they can’t stand it that it’s no longer the best looking game. Ah newsflash it wasn’t the best looking game in 97 either.lol. Where were you? Did you see some of the other games that the Playstation and Saturn (what did he say Saturn? Yes I did look it up) were putting out? And so they wine, remake, remake, remake so I can brag it up again. One more reason I didn’t even think of until now (shudder) I don’t want annoying 7 fans rant their game round 2. But it looks so bad now and it hasn’t aged is the common B.S. I hear. I disagree. Strongly I disagree. It’s of it’s time and it is a representation of that time. I don’t think it looks bad at all. I happen to love the lego/popeye style graphics and the weird all over the place camera during battles. And the twisted too many writers convoluted plot that has more holes than Lindsey Lohan. It’s part of its charm. And the way it was meant to look. Generally I am anti remake for most games. Porting is ok with graphical facelifts. Final Fantasy 4 DS can die a horrible critical hit strike followed by a death spell and then an x-zone casting into the unknown death. Seriously piss off. And what does Square-Enix do, they release FF 4 complete for the PSP and ALL IS FORGIVEN! THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE. Plus you gave me the after years? Awesome! Not only do I forgive you, you have redeemed yourself of the catastrophe that was FF4DS. Then I had my hope risen and crushed when I read that FF3 was heading to psp I was excited till I read it was the DS version. DAMMIT! For now I’ll let that slide, but I’m still hoping for a proper release of FF3 in all its spritely glory without the reduced on screen enemies and reduced difficulty to appease the fans that came with 7 who would claim it too hard. And SE please stay away from a 3d remake of 5 and 6. I'd much rather have the Complete treatment you gave IV for psp.

And since so many of you idiots (don't get offended you know if I'm talking about you or not) can’t seem to understand one of Wada’s more recent comments on this subject, I’ll explain. In business, there is something called return on investment (ROI). His comment was really meant no 7 remake until we get a larger ROI on our games. You think it’s an accident or that it was planned to make so many 13 games? Not likely, ROI wasn’t near what they hoped for by what they put into FF13. Especially on 2 platforms. So they reuse the tools to try and strengthen the ROI with reduced cost on a brand-new product hoping to gain some profit. 13-2 and 10-2 were made for completely different reasons from a business standpoint (FYI 10-2 sold better than 13 to put it into perspective). 10-2 try something new and milk and already successful game. 13-2 was made to try and close the gap of what they expected on ROI and what they actually got. Wada doesn’t want to invest in a 4+ year project if it’s just going to have lack-luster sales for such a project of that magnitude. And yes 13-2 bombed as will lightning returns. I don’t understand SE’s decisions lately. We don’t give 2 F’s about FF13, move on and try again SE. Or you could you know, Finish Versus… The only game in the Fabula games any of us even cared about… And don’t go around saying, but 7 will generate tons of sales. No remake in the history of video games have ever, does now, or will ever top the sales of the original. Not even Pokemon Firered and Leafgreen came even close to the original red and blue/green. Facts and what has been tried done and what sales show destroy your idiotic argument. But it could be different, ok live in your 1% chance of that happening. I’ll stay in reality. And I don’t know where in your idiotic mind you go off thinking turn base stands a chance in the masses today?lol. It’s a little dated. I do still enjoy it but I have to be in the mood to sit down in a couch for a turn based rpg. It’s not a game style that can be sold in modern video games. At least not to the sales numbers to justify the investment.

For the record and believe it or not I am pro FF7 compilation. It’s a great way to try new things and new types of games. Fingers crossed for a western release of Before Crisis. Dirge had much potential had they done one thing. Fix the controls. They were awful, picture Ratchet and Clank’s controls with Dirge and you would have had a nice fluid game. The story was there but poor execution. Crisis Core I enjoyed. Another point to you remake nuts do you really want Cloud’s flashback scene cut into the scenes with Genesis?lol. I thought not.lol.

SE needs to do a few things in my not so humble opinion. First and foremost pull Kitase and Nomura off of Final Fantasy. They made some great games arguably masterpieces. But they have taken the series as far as it’s going to go under them and they need to pass the torch. Each game that the team does, contain exactly the same characters and plot devices. And I’m not just talking the creepy underage slutty jailbait that some argue is pedophilia. Don’t get me wrong it is, but the problem goes far beyond that. We have Yuffie, Selphie, Rikku, Vanielle as the creepy underage jailbait dressed like skanks. Oh and we couldn’t even have a FF7 compilation spin off in Crisis Core without this character as we got Cessnei conveniently in a bikini (rolling eyes). We have our older sister Tifa, Quistis, Lulu, Hope. We have the bumbling idiot, Barret, Zell, Wakka, Snow. We have the quiet guy that clearly knows more then they let on about their world, but always seem to be a badass and likeable character in Vincent, Irvine, Auron, Fang… Do I need to go on? This isn’t just video game stereotypes. These are THE SAME CHARACTERS. SAME, PLOT COPIES FROM GAME TO GAME. They all do the same thing in each of their respective games. This is a problem. And will hurt all future games if this continues. I’m by no means saying to fire them but send them on other projects. Maybe take a page out of Sega’s book and Kitase can get back what remains of the dream team and make a sprite based 16 bit looking Chrono Trigger 2/Chrono Break and release it via download just like Sonic 4. And I mean release it for everything including IOS. No need to mention what Nomura’s focus should be…Has development even started for KH3? Still silent…Maybe it’s time for another Itou FF? Not all liked 12, but I did. No opinion of what Toriyamu would be like without the others looking over his shoulder. And change Versus to FF15. Versus is still an idiotic name. Final Fantasy 15 would sound much better. Argue if you want but I'm not saying anything more regardless what you comment on. I said what needed to be said. And to end this. NO ONE, I MEAN NO ONE HAS EVER, DOES NOW, OR WILL EVER LOOK COOL CARRING AROUND A 6 FOOT FOAM BUSTER SWORD! That is all piece out you 7 creepers.

Yeah, I'm not about to allow your first post in two years be riddled with insults to members of this forum in order for you to make a point. ~Shorty

Shorty
01-31-2013, 07:10 AM
I'm not sure I really follow what it is exactly that you're rambling about in that lengthy post of yours, but it isn't really necessary to throw around insults to people who might possibly want to see a remake (especially since I'm not sure who you think you're arguing with as you are the first poster in this thread). I think you need to tone it down a bit.

As for your references about "creepy cosplay 7 fans" - I feel that cosplay has brought a light to the overall series and it's my understanding that fans have a lot of fun engaging in it, so I don't really understand the problem you have with it.

I personally think a remake would be pretty sweet.

maybee
01-31-2013, 07:53 AM
The younger characters have been around in Final Fantasy games since FF IV. So what are you on about ?

Plus it's to widen the age group for the players. There's the younger characters for the younger players and the older characters like Auron and Galuf for those who are older; plus what's wrong with a fourteen or ten year old person help save the world ?

Irvine is the playboy type, not the mysterious figure like Auron. Plus the playboy type has been around since Edge in again with FF IV.

And no they are not the same characters and same plot from each game. So Irvine and Edgar are both kings now ? I guess that makes Irvine the king of Galbadia. I. did.not. know. this. Crap, you learn something every-day.

So who is Irvine's Twin brother ? Seifer ? Caraway ? The guy at the beginning who gives you those cards ?

Guess it's Zell. Since ya' know. All Final Fantasy characters are the same. :greenie:

Also the FF IV on the DS is excellent and gives the characters more backstory and development. If you can't handle a small upgrade, then it's your huge loss.

And what if Sabin is sort of like Zell and what have you ? As long as the character is likeable then there's no issue.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting to dress up as your favourite character from anything anime or game for fun. Plus people cosplay as Cecil, Bartz, Terra, Celes, Squall and what have you. It's not just FF VII characters.

Also if a fan wants a Final Fantasy remake of a FF game that they love, then so what ? It means that they just to give the Final Fantasy game a rebirth and enjoy it again from almost scratch like they did when they first played it.

Grow up. Find FF IV DS. Play it and then go online and then find the many amazing FF cosplays out there from FF I- FF XIV.

Shorty
01-31-2013, 08:06 AM
Maybee brings up a good point. Plus, many of these games were made when we were all still very young and thus wouldn't have looked at the characters the same way that some people interpret them now fifteen years later - ie, the young girl characters as "slutty jailbait".

Skyblade
02-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Wow, that OP is filled with some hostility. I can't even imagine what the unedited version was like.

There's a lot to go through, here, but I'm just going to summarize some.

First, yes, anime cosplayers joined the FF fan base. Is that really unexpected? FFVII was a huge blockbuster game from Japan, naturally the crowd who already follows releases from that country to jump on the game? Especially considering that the entire "Lego" style is in fact a chibi anime and sprite inspired aesthetic converted to 3D?

Second, so what? You're ashamed of your interests because ignorant, prejudiced bigots associate you with a group you aren't actually a part of? Guess what, stereotypes exist, you've been prejudged for your interests your entire life. You make just as many assumptions about people as they make about you, and it's gone on since long before the cosplayers got here.

Third, you do realize just how ironic your statements on the characters are, right? You're grouping a bunch of completely unrelated characters together because of a single common trait. Irvine, Auron, and Vincent are nothing alike, except that they all know something about the game that the player doesn't (and find me a game which doesn't have characters like that, please). Their personalities and impact on the story are completely different. So it's nice of you to group them together based on a single trait, the same way you're grouped in with all those cosplayers just because you play Final Fantasy. That's kind of hypocritical.

And, as an aside, how can you argue yourself as pro-Compilation, only to turn around and bash Cissnei (who's an important character in Before Crisis and Crisis Core), Genesis, and DoC's gameplay?

Bolivar
02-06-2013, 05:20 AM
Hahahaha I HAD NO IDEA PEOPLE STILL HATED ON FINAL FANTASY VII!!!!

Dude, wake up, contrary to your post, when people say FF today, no one thinks of anime nerds, 7 or anything really, they vaguely remember a game that used to be popular. I haven't seen anyone say FFVII is the best game of all time in over a decade maybe, in fact I would say it's a pretty unpopular opinion these days.

I don't know what your friend said to set you off, but let me borrow whatever time machine you used so i can talk to him.

Aulayna
02-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Why do I feel like I'm missing half a conversation here...

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Tell em why you're mad son

Mercen-X
02-07-2013, 10:33 PM
DR. PHIL! WE NEED YOU!

Anyway, I agree there are people out there who misrepresent the fanbase as a whole. But you know what? They are still a part of the fanbase. A smaller part but a part nonetheless. So what if they cosplay. So what if some have tweaked attitudes regarding the series. People have opinions and it usually pertains to age.

My personal opinion on why 7 should be remade is so that I can play it on a nex-gen platform. Playing older games on newer platforms is possible, but my experience has not been great. Even playing 7 on the PS2 results in the screen jittering. When I use my PS1 (thanks god I still own one), that glitch disappears so I know it's not my fucking tv before you start. Particularly older generation games like those for NES/SNES what-have-you experience massive translation error to systems like PS/XBOX unless the game rebuilt to be compatible.
Also every game has its issues and 7 is no exception. What's wrong with wanting those issues resolved?
I echo the sentiment toward the compilation and hope to see Before Crisis as perhaps a 3DS game? Even though I still have to buy a 3DS.,

Rostum
02-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Mercen-X, why not try the PSN versions? 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 all run flawlessly on my PSP and PS3. They're currently 50% off too, if you don't have them.

Sephex
02-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Man, that original post was like the progressive rock of FFVII rants.

Spooniest
02-16-2013, 12:33 AM
This guy are sick.