PDA

View Full Version : Do you still play the originals?

Wolf Kanno
01-31-2013, 06:36 AM
So the series has seen a bunch of ports and have been released multiple times, so I was wondering do you still play the original copy you experienced the game the first time with or has the advent of technology made you choose to play it on some other gaming device nowadays?

It's been a few years since I played my SNES copy of FFVI, but I've played through the GBA version a couple of times. I can't even remember the last time I touched the SNES copy of FFIV though...

qwertysaur
01-31-2013, 06:41 AM
occasionally. Woolsy translations are fun. :bigsmile:

Quindiana Jones
01-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Well, I can only play the NES/SNES versions through emulations, if that counts?

Wolf Kanno
01-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Well, I can only play the NES/SNES versions through emulations, if that counts?

if its how you first played them then yes, but if you played ffi on the nes but now only on pc or one of its ports, then no.

Bolivar
02-01-2013, 02:58 AM
New devices haven't changed the way I play the much, outside of the PSOne Classics releases on PSN, and I play them on my PSP sometimes.

Flaming Ice
02-01-2013, 03:15 AM
I only started playing FF because my brother told me some friend of his had it for gba and it was a good game so I bought some of the other final fantasies after they came out.

Raistlin
02-01-2013, 03:52 AM
I've really only played FFI NES, albeit emulated (some of the PS1 remake, but never finished it). I also continued to pull out the PS1 to play FFVII and FFT, though at this point I'd have to dig it out after a couple of moves.

The Man
02-01-2013, 04:06 AM
I first played all of the games I've played for any appreciable length of time except for FFV on consoles. I can't go back and replay FFIV and FFVI on consoles because I don't own them, though. The others, if I had my PS2 setup, I would probably go back and replay at some point in the near future. Except I'll probably emulate FFIX because my first disc is too scratched to play the FMVs.

Flying Arrow
02-01-2013, 04:46 AM
In the past year I played through IX and X on the original PS1/2 discs. IX I bought on release and my version of X is a used copy I picked up in 03.

I'll probably go on to play VIII on the original discs sometime this year as well. For anything older than VII I have to settle for crappy PSX compilation discs or ROMs.

DMKA
02-01-2013, 04:52 AM
Does playing PS1 titles on the PS2 with fast load and texture smoothing on count as not being original play format? :P

If so, then no, anything before FFX, I haven't played the original way I first played it in years. In fact, the last time I played any of the PS1 titles on my PS1 was before I got my PS2, which was in like 2003.

Wolf Kanno
02-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Yes, that counts as playing the original. I'm curious to see if people stopped playing the old cartridges and disks, or to see how many people got into the series through emulators. The actual system is not important in the case of the PS1/2 titles, its important if you still just pull the old disc out of their case and give them a try.

Cloudane
02-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Currently (though I kind of fell flat on FF2) playing through the originals. Part of the experience of going through the history of FF, for me, is also going through its evolutions. From 8 to 16 bit, from "if you target something that's been defeated you wave your sword in the air like an idiot" to intelligent targeting, and all the little bugs and quirks that sometimes gave the games a little charm. I'd play the remakes eventually, but not yet.

Loony BoB
02-01-2013, 01:58 PM
I-II: First played on PC emulation, now own them all on PSN and play them on PSP.
III:: First played on PC emulation, now own on DS.
IV-VI: First played on PC emulation, now own them all on PSN and play them on PSP.
VII-VIII: First owned/played on PSX. Now own them on PSN and play them on PSP. Have played them on PC, too.
IX: First owned on PSN, still playing my first run on PSP.
X: First owned/played on PS2.
XI: First owned/played on PC.
XII: First owned/played on PS2.
XIII: First owned/played on PS3.
XIV: First owned/played on PC.

Of these, I have played the following in the past few years: I, II, V, VI, VII, IX, XII, XIII, XIV.

maybee
02-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Yes when it comes to FF III because I really enjoy the NES original over the newer DS remake. The music just feels more Final- Fantasy-ish than the remake, so it feels more at home.

theundeadhero
02-03-2013, 08:34 AM
I always play them on the original consoles they came out on if you don't count FFIII which I never play and FFV because the original has to be a ROM.

Del Murder
02-04-2013, 01:30 AM
I've played the originals of all the games except FFIII. I don't play them anymore because I've played them enough times. If I do go back and play a FF game now I'll just play the latest version to keep it fresh.