PDA

View Full Version : The Dark

Aulayna
01-31-2013, 03:32 PM
So I have this irrational believe that whenver I turn off the light at night that there's an otherworld presence hunting me and I make like a 100m runner and sprint into bed.

It was even worse when I lived in a house and used to leg it up the stairs 2 steps at a time.

I also still believe that my quilt cover will protect me from any and all terrors of the night.

Am I the only one?

Slothy
01-31-2013, 04:04 PM
I used to be when I was a kid I suppose. Over active imagination combined with a lack of light can make all kinds of things run through a kids mind. But when I got older I realized that unless you're in the jungle at night there's probably nothing you can't see trying to get you.

And if you are in the jungle at night then by the time you've started to worry about the dark a Jaguar is probably already eating you.

qwertysaur
01-31-2013, 04:07 PM
So I have this irrational believe that whenver I turn off the light at night that there's an otherworld presence hunting me and I make like a 100m runner and sprint into bed.

It was even worse when I lived in a house and used to leg it up the stairs 2 steps at a time.

I also still believe that my quilt cover will protect me from any and all terrors of the night.

Am I the only one?
That's just Zalera wishing you goodnight. :bigsmile:

Shorty
01-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Yep. Did (still do) all of that.

I don't feel comfortable sleeping in a 100% dark room if I'm alone.

Loony BoB
01-31-2013, 04:20 PM
I love the dark when I sleep. When I was a kid, I always believed that it was far more likely that a thief or murderer would walk around my house at night than any kind of monster. Humans see better in the light, so I felt safer in the dark...

Bubba
01-31-2013, 04:21 PM
I don't have any fear of the dark. In fact, I love nothing better than sleeping in a completely pitch black room.

However, going to the toilet in the middle of the night and stepping on a plug is probably the worst thing that could ever happen to anyone.

Madame Adequate
01-31-2013, 04:36 PM
I used to be exactly the same :p Now I don't mind the dark itself but I need some light to sleep, I don't know why, it's just uncomfortable (physically) without it.

krissy
01-31-2013, 04:38 PM
yeah i did that

when i was 11

Faris
01-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Don't like what I can't see for similar reasons so there's always a dim light on. Heck I keep my TV on during the night at 15 brightness and 15 contrast.

...I'd make a terrible blind person.

Aulayna
01-31-2013, 05:53 PM
I sleep fine in the dark without a light or anything, it's just when going from room to room in the dark it makes my hairs stand.

krissy
01-31-2013, 05:59 PM
you guys should play some silent hill

CimminyCricket
01-31-2013, 06:12 PM
I did when I was younger and even as a teen because my paretns' house is haunted by someone who just walks around doing what ever it is dead people do. Now I live in an apartment and no one has died in it yet, so I'm not scared.

Psychotic
01-31-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm a vampire. I love me some darkness. It may be because I'm susceptible to migraines or it may be because I'm a creepy weirdo. Who can say!

CimminyCricket
01-31-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm going with creepy weirdo.

Psychotic
01-31-2013, 06:24 PM
Well you're wrong because it's both.

Chris
01-31-2013, 07:52 PM
The only solution is not to be a lonely loser with no lover(s).

Pumpkin
01-31-2013, 07:56 PM
The only time I'm still afraid of the dark is after watching a horror movie.

Chris
01-31-2013, 08:07 PM
So, after MLP: FIM? http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/off-topic-478/98199d1298312257-my-little-pony-friendship-magic-facepalm.gif

The Man
01-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Watch out for the Vashta Nerada.

Pumpkin
01-31-2013, 08:12 PM
So, after MLP: FIM? http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/off-topic-478/98199d1298312257-my-little-pony-friendship-magic-facepalm.gif

Anything MLP is indeed very scary.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-31-2013, 09:16 PM
As a child I was afraid of the dark. Or rather what would come out of the dark.

It's something that's faded with time.

Despite being an atheist who doesn't believe in anything supernatural, I still get a few chills up my spine whenever I'm alone at night and my back is turned to a dark room or an open closet. Sometimes when I'm in the bathroom real late at night I tend to avoid looking at the mirror.

Old habits die hard I suppose. It's funny but sometimes I'll leave the television on at night simply because it gives the illusion that I have company over.

Shauna
01-31-2013, 09:22 PM
This thread reminds me of that highly unspectacular film "The Dark is Rising".

S'all I've got to say, tbh.

Aulayna
01-31-2013, 09:25 PM
you guys should play some silent hill

I did. In the dark.

Didn't phase me at all.

Well apart from the underground prison segment of SH2, I was convinced something bad was going to happen there but it never fully came to be.

krissy
01-31-2013, 09:29 PM
how are you not ok with walking thru dark rooms irl then :(
i can barely stand an hour of silent hill at a time before i have to turn it off
but i have no problem navigating in pure darkness irl in familiar environments

Pumpkin
01-31-2013, 09:31 PM
I had a friend who, for whatever reason, had some kind of disconnect when it came to horror movies/games/shows. She would have a panic attack and cry and shake for hours. She told me she could tell herself it wasn't real all she wanted, but she wouldn't believe it. We were at a friends house and I can't remember if it was Silent Hill or the Clock Tower (or whatever it was called) because he played both that night, but she walked in on him accidentally and had a bad panic attack. I felt so bad. I had to stay up with her all night and we had every light in the house on and something like Arthur or some other kids show on in the background to help her settle down.

CimminyCricket
01-31-2013, 09:39 PM
but she walked in on him accidentally and had a bad panic attack. I felt so bad. I had to stay up with her all night and we had every light in the house on and something like Arthur or some other kids show on in the background to help her settle down.

Occ thread

Aulayna
01-31-2013, 09:50 PM
how are you not ok with walking thru dark rooms irl then :(
i can barely stand an hour of silent hill at a time before i have to turn it off
but i have no problem navigating in pure darkness irl in familiar environments

Dunno, scary movies/games of that era never really got to me that much. I think because ammo etc was always plentiful so it never really felt like you were trying to survive.

The one exception would be Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube, purely because of the noise those body snatcher parasites made. I kept hearing that noising in my mind for weeks everytime I went to bed.

These days though... Amnesia The Dark Descent scared the shit out of me.

Oh and one of the investigation missions in an abandoned child experimentation lab in The Secret World that I ended up doing at 3am... needless to say I didn't sleep very well. :P

Raistlin
01-31-2013, 10:38 PM
I was like that until I was 10 or 11 or so. Back then I wanted to keep a light on when I slept, and even after that I would keep a TV on. Now I prefer complete darkness at night, and don't mind it being dark when walking around the house.

black orb
01-31-2013, 10:40 PM
>>> Too much TV..:luca:

Slothy
01-31-2013, 11:49 PM

A real man seals his suit, polarizes the visor and takes his chances.

The Man
02-01-2013, 01:03 AM

A real man seals his suit, polarizes the visor and takes his chances.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me5zvsCfDF1rub4kho1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md3hn9tvej1r2yg2co1_500.jpg

fire_of_avalon
02-01-2013, 02:26 AM
Sometimes I still feel this way, if I'm in a strange place alone. At my friend's house I sleep with a lamp on.

Flaming Ice
02-01-2013, 03:02 AM
This thread reminds me of that highly unspectacular film "The Dark is Rising".

S'all I've got to say, tbh.

Yeah, it sucked, it was based on an odd book so failure was a given. I don't think they've even made the other books in the series as movies.

I used to hate being alone in the dark because of all the stupid ghost stuff my brother watched (okay I think he watched it for the boy but still).....Ha, but I remember that brother would sit on the steps at night waiting for someone to go upstairs with him.

But I usually watched t.v, sometimes played video games (I hated not having my back to a wall so only rarely would this occur since the systems were in a diff room), that way there'd be some sound when no one else was there....

Also, going upstairs alone, not touching the toybox and hearing things fall anyways was sort of creepy too.:|

Iceglow
02-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm perfectly fine with the dark, even as a child I was never scared of it, I was strange like that.

Mercen-X
02-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Sometimes a thought enters my mind "what if someone/thing's watching me?" Then I remember I just don't care either way. What's the worst they can do? If it's supernatural, my fear isn't going to help me. If it's human, I can them off if I'm awake or, if I'm asleep, then what they do doesn't matter. I spend a lot of time dwelling on the future always seeing that past experience rings truer than any advice people give me ("be positive, it helps"... yeah right, go f yourself), I don't need to waste my nights dwelling on what could be in my closet.

Tigmafuzz
02-02-2013, 01:37 PM
I was mostly awake at night when I was growing up anyway, and I got used to the dark. I feel more comfortable in the dark than I do in the light. I guess that's just something that happens when you have to make a living stealing things to survive :|