PDA

View Full Version : Strap me down and call me a luddite...

Aulayna
02-02-2013, 04:00 AM
So today I had a rather interesting conversation with my housemate whereby he saw me washing stuff up and asked why I didn't just use the dishwasher.

I explained that I just prefer to wash up as I go so that way there's always something clean rather than having everything pile up.

Apparently this is a silly notion and I should embrace the future and use the dishwasher...

qwertysaur
02-02-2013, 04:02 AM
My Mom washes dishes by hand, then puts them in the dishwasher. :p

Agent Proto
02-02-2013, 04:30 AM

Yeah, I do this too.

Citizen Bleys
02-02-2013, 04:33 AM
So today I had a rather interesting conversation with my housemate whereby he saw me washing stuff up and asked why I didn't just use the dishwasher.

I explained that I just prefer to wash up as I go so that way there's always something clean rather than having everything pile up.

Apparently this is a silly notion and I should embrace the future and use the dishwasher...

The term for this is not "luddite."

In order to qualify as a luddite, you would have to blow up the dishwasher. Luddites destroy technology. If a luddite loaded the dishwasher, they would load it up with hand grenades.

The proper clinical term for someone who washes dishes by hand instead of putting them in the dishwasher is "not a lazy troutsmurfer."

NeoCracker
02-02-2013, 04:37 AM
I, however, am a lazy shitfucker.

Well, I would be, but I have no Dishwasher and have to do it by hand, so I end up gong back and forth between 'clean as you go' and 'wait until I'm out of dishes'.

Pheesh
02-02-2013, 05:36 AM
Didn't have a dishwasher for 21 years of life, got one this year, don't know how I ever lived without it. Doing the dishes was the bane of my existence and I used to let everything pile up and then it was a struggle to motivate myself to wash that massive pile of dishes that was sitting there. Now my kitchen is always clean and I always have dishes to use.

I love my dishwasher <33

Shorty
02-02-2013, 02:34 PM
The dishwasher in my first apartment was always either a) broken or b) didn't clean the dishes properly. I got in the habit of just washing everything by hand and abandoning the dishwasher altogether.

Pike
02-02-2013, 02:35 PM

Yeah, I do this too.

Doesn't everyone do this? :confused:

Bubba
02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I have a dishwasher but I'll generally wash what I use as I go. Unless I'm entertaining and have a big pile to be washed.

I have to say though that I hate drinking out of glasses that have been washed in the dishwasher...

Cloudane
02-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Yeah we have a dishwasher and often have the scenario of "there are no plates because they're all in the dishwasher and it's not full enough to be put on yet". It's a pain actually. But all in all it beats the massive stack of dirty stuff that happened before.

If I lived alone I'd probably just wash up straight after eating, it'd be nice and easy to keep on top of it when it's just me.

Clo
02-02-2013, 07:02 PM
I'll use a dishwasher when they stop sucking ass. Then I'll consider it the future. Until then, I will manually make sure there are no crusty spots on my dishware,

Breine
02-02-2013, 07:18 PM
I have a dishwasher and I usually use that for washing dishes. It saves water and I'm lazy.

Night Fury
02-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Didn't have a dishwasher for 21 years of life, got one this year, don't know how I ever lived without it. Doing the dishes was the bane of my existence and I used to let everything pile up and then it was a struggle to motivate myself to wash that massive pile of dishes that was sitting there. Now my kitchen is always clean and I always have dishes to use.

I love my dishwasher <33

But babe. I'm probably still going to wash dishes by hand sometimes because I like to. You can try and take them off me and put them in the dishwasher but I'll be like "Nuuuu!"

I don't know why, it's a pain in the ass but it's nice. I get to look out the window and have a little sing song to myself while washing the dishes :D

Cloudane
02-02-2013, 07:21 PM
I'll use a dishwasher when they stop sucking ass. Then I'll consider it the future. Until then, I will manually make sure there are no crusty spots on my dishware,

Crusty spots usually mean that the filter hasn't been washed out for ages

Mirage
02-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I love having access to a dishwasher. It is the best invention since a few decades ago.

Raistlin
02-03-2013, 12:16 AM
I'm probably still going to wash dishes by hand sometimes because I like to.

There are plenty of people who prefer to handwash dishes as they use them, but you are the first person I've met who's said that they like doing dishes. You freak.

I love dishwashers. Washing dishes is one of the worst chores.

NorthernChaosGod
02-03-2013, 01:49 AM
I wash dishes as I go. We've had a dishwasher in like two of our homes before and we never use it.

Pheesh
02-03-2013, 02:11 AM

I love my dishwasher <33

But babe. I'm probably still going to wash dishes by hand sometimes because I like to. You can try and take them off me and put them in the dishwasher but I'll be like "Nuuuu!"

I don't know why, it's a pain in the ass but it's nice. I get to look out the window and have a little sing song to myself while washing the dishes :D

You could wash them, go outside and rub sand and poop all over them and then wash them again if you like. But when it's my turn to clean the kitchen they're going straight into the dishwasher and I'm using the time I saved to play vidya >:3

qwertysaur
02-03-2013, 02:25 AM

Yeah, I do this too.

Doesn't everyone do this? :confused:
Not rinse, full on wash. She goes all out and makes sure the plates are spotless before putting them in the dishwasher.

Citizen Bleys
02-03-2013, 06:35 PM
I love dishwashers. Washing dishes is one of the worst chores.

No, mowing the lawn in the summer time is. It takes an hour and a half in the direct, burning sunlight; I have to wear a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes and by the time I'm done, the hat is ruined from all of the sweat. For that matter, every chore is worse than washing dishes. Vacuuming? Check. Dusting? Check. Shoveling snow? Check. Talking to the general public? Check.

Washing dishes takes all of five minutes (unless you let it pile up like an idiot instead of doing them as needed) and I do a much better job than any dishwasher ever invented.

Shorty
02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
I dunno. I'd rather mow the lawn than shovel snow.

Quindiana Jones
02-04-2013, 02:28 AM
I'll use a dishwasher - if I have one, that is - for large washes, but normally I just wash by hand as I use things. I'm rubbish at putting things away, though, so I'll often end up with a tower of clean dishes by the sink. :(

rubah
02-04-2013, 02:30 AM
I friggin hate washing dishes. I wish I had a dishwasher in this apartment!

mowing a lawn isn't so bad. you can zone out and just listen to your own thoughts for a couple of hours, then dive into a pool (or the shower) when you're done.
washing clothes is annoying when your washer and dryer aren't in the same building as you live, but I still prefer it to washing dishes

NorthernChaosGod
02-04-2013, 06:23 AM
How big are your people's lawns?!

Shlup
02-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Wash... dishes? That's what husbands are for.

Mirage
02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Are you telling me your husband isn't using the dishwasher either? Man it's like I'm a time traveller when I post in this thread.

Shauna
02-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Never had a dishwasher in my life. Probably won't ever get one. There's something vaguely therapeutic about washing dishes. xD

NeoCracker
02-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Never had a dishwasher in my life. Probably won't ever get one. There's something vaguely therapeutic about washing dishes. xD

Perhaps it's the relief of finally knowing your place as a woman and embracing it.

Shauna
02-04-2013, 04:57 PM
:colbert:

Faris
02-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Just hit him with a hot spoon.

Pike
02-05-2013, 12:12 AM
HAVE YOU GUYS EVER HAD A RIDING LAWNMOWER because those things are fantastic. Suddenly mowing the lawn is the best thing that ever happened to you.

Raistlin
02-06-2013, 04:05 AM
I used to mow my dad's old one acre lawn with a riding mower. I would listen to music on my CD player (this was before mp3 players) and ride around in the sun for an hour. It was good times.

Jinx
02-06-2013, 04:59 AM
The real thing I'm curious about is Dishwasher Salmon.

Like wtf is up with that shit?

Mirage
02-06-2013, 05:54 AM
HAVE YOU GUYS EVER HAD A RIDING LAWNMOWER because those things are fantastic. Suddenly mowing the lawn is the best thing that ever happened to you.

I always wanted my dad to get one but he never did and it made me super sad.

rubah
02-06-2013, 06:08 AM
How big are your people's lawns?!

a couple of acres at my parents'

there's the east yard, back yard, north yard, west yard, and front yard, and if you're feeling very ambitious, the scrubby other side of the road.

NorthernChaosGod
02-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Move to the suburbs, people. :colbert: