PDA

View Full Version : How many people have actually played this game?

Wolf Kanno
02-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Damn this forum gets no love, despite the game finally get released outside of Japan it just seems like everyone is either disinterested or just haven't played this game. So where do you stand?

Gamblet
02-02-2013, 11:06 AM
I played through it once and it was challenging and fun. I am on my second playthrough right now on my phone. I am trying to use different Job combinations this time.

I guess the game is "pretty cool".

Aulayna
02-02-2013, 11:15 AM
I was going to play it but the store didn't have it so I got Theatrhythm instead. I could just order it online but it's not that much of a pressing purchase for me until I have another stretch of time off.

Bubba
02-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm due to start FFII on my phone this week. Now that FFIII and FFIV have been released on the App Store I'll be getting onto them.

I might start FFIV on a different platform though to properly appreciate it. It does seem to get quite a lot of love round here.

I am excited for FFII and FFIII though.

Elpizo
02-02-2013, 12:47 PM
It's the best game in the series and whoever disagrees is a smurf. :colbert:

Gamblet
02-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Now that FFIII and FFIV have been released on the App Store I'll be getting onto them.

SNesoid/Nesoid + ROM = profit

Yar
02-02-2013, 02:33 PM
I have played it, but the more I play it, the less I like it.

I want to like it a lot, but I just can't.

VeloZer0
02-02-2013, 03:29 PM
So as of now 50% of the people who came into the FF3 forum to look at this thread haven't ever played it?

Pike
02-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I played about half of it and then got distracted by... can't remember, some other game

Sephiroth
02-02-2013, 03:40 PM
I have the Famicom, so the original Japanese NES version, and the DS version.

Futan
02-02-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm still trying to push myself through II at the moment... awfulgame. Once I'm finished with it, I'll start on III which I'm excited for. :D

CimminyCricket
02-02-2013, 04:56 PM
I've been trying to play it for the DS since it came out, but I keep getting side tracked. I don't know what it is about this game that's making it so hard to get into.

Gamblet
02-02-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm still trying to push myself through II at the moment... awfulgame.

I think it is a really good game with nice customization system and story, why would you dislike it? :mad:

Depression Moon
02-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Got all the way to the last boss and lost horribly because well I think I already told one fo y'all. Went through the dungeon again to kill those bosses first to break her barrier. Lost against the 1st or 2nd one and said fuck it! I might actually go back and beat it eventually. I hate to be forced to use certain jobs at the end game though and I hate grinding.

Futan
02-02-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm still trying to push myself through II at the moment... awfulgame.

I think it is a really good game with nice customization system and story, why would you dislike it? :mad:

All the reasons you listed. :monster:

Mirage
02-02-2013, 11:00 PM
I started playing it once, didn't finish. It was the NES version.

maybee
02-03-2013, 01:35 AM
It's the best game in the series and whoever disagrees is a smurf. :colbert:

Guess I'm that Lady Smurf then. :|

Yes have played it and yeah it was pretty neat-o :jess:

Motdrafin
08-14-2013, 02:45 AM
I've beaten it twice and is one of my favorite games! It certainly doesn't get that much love, same as FFII...*sigh*

Loony BoB
08-14-2013, 02:09 PM
I played it about thirteen years ago but I never got any reasonable amount of hours clocked on the game and I can't remember anything about it. Where does that fit in the poll? :D

KentaRawr!
08-15-2013, 01:41 AM
I've played and beaten the DS version once. Once I have my DS again I might work at it again. I've enjoyed what I played of the famicom version too, but I never beat it.

Raistlin
08-15-2013, 02:41 AM
I played it on the DS, but only got maybe 1/3 of the way through it before I was distracted and then never went back to it. It was enjoyable for what it is, especially considering when it came out, but nothing amazing.

Relena Peacecraft
08-15-2013, 04:10 AM
I played it on the DS, but only got maybe 1/3 of the way through it before I was distracted and then never went back to it. It was enjoyable for what it is, especially considering when it came out, but nothing amazing.
I daresay it's quite possibly my least favorite of the "mainline" Final Fantasy games. The DS version manages to make it slightly more palatable, but the game itself succeeds primarily in annoying me beyond belief. Making me become mini or frog to enter certain areas. The general inferiority of the job system compared to FF5's. The ridiculous efforts you'll have to undertake to get the best equipment. (I don't even remember specifics. I just remember that I wasn't impressed!)

Yerushalmi
08-15-2013, 05:55 AM
I played the original Famicom version. It's my second favorite in the series after FFV.

Elpizo
08-15-2013, 07:20 PM
The ridiculous efforts you'll have to undertake to get the best equipment. (I don't even remember specifics. I just remember that I wasn't impressed!)

What's so ridiculous about it? You go to Eureka, beat the boss, grab the equipment. Nearly every FF's done it. Unless you're talking about Onion Gear, which is really for elitists only in the NES version (I've never even come across a Dragon that drops it) and nowhere near required to beat the game. But if you want it that badly, there's a trick to get it at the start of the game and waltz through it all.

In the DS version, Onion Gear is much easier to get thanks to the ??? Cave only having Dragons as encounters, so it's no more ridiculous than any other FF that has monsters drop elitist gear at low drop rates. (Go play XII and quest for the Tournesol, then come back and tell me the efforts for Onion Gear are ridiculous.)

Unless you're not talking about Onion Gear, but the Job Mastery items in the DS version, which are gotten simply by mastering a job and finding the wandering blacksmith and have her forge it for you. That's not hard or outrageous. Tedious, maybe, but there's little reason to master all jobs unless you're a completionist. Most people will have mastered at least one job for every character by simply going through the game. Maybe the "ridiculous" aspect comes from the wifi aspect of unlocking these quests in the DS version, which admittedly are a bit tedious. But later ports of the DS version (iOS and PSP, I believe) drop the Mognet and just have those quests unlock naturally after certain points in the game.

I really don't see the "ridiculous efforts" here. It's certainly nothing compared to the hours upon hours you have to spend Chocobo Breeding in VII for all that rare Materia, or digging up Chocographs in IX for many hours to dig up the best gear, or working endless chains of monsters in XII in hopes of it dropping that ultra-rare loot to sell to the Bazaar, followed by hours of gilfarming so you can finally buy the Tournesol.

Relena Peacecraft
08-16-2013, 02:39 AM
As you could no doubt tell, it's been at least a year since I've played this game, and the two versions tend to merge in my head (that is, I can't tell necessarily which one I'm remembering or if I'm even remembering correctly).

Unless you're talking about Onion Gear, which is really for elitists only in the NES version (I've never even come across a Dragon that drops it) and nowhere near required to beat the game. But if you want it that badly, there's a trick to get it at the start of the game and waltz through it all.

Definitely referring to the onion equipment, though the details of what needed to be done escaped and continue to escape me.

Maybe the "ridiculous" aspect comes from the wifi aspect of unlocking these quests in the DS version, which admittedly are a bit tedious. But later ports of the DS version (iOS and PSP, I believe) drop the Mognet and just have those quests unlock naturally after certain points in the game.

I definitely don't like any game that forces any kind of multiplayer aspect on me. To have to do such a thing just to complete things (I am definitely a completionist) is kind of annoying. It's good that they eliminated it in the later ports, but I haven't played either of those (yet).

Sefie1999AD
08-16-2013, 12:36 PM
I've beat the NES version twice, and the game was pretty cool. I played the DS version for 10-20 hours, but then I got bored and couldn't be bothered to finish it, and the WiFi requirement was also annoying. :p The PSP version seems slightly better, though, and the Mognet side quest is fortunately done offline now.

Spooniest
08-18-2013, 06:43 AM
I've played 1-10.

I enjoyed III a lot. It seemed like they had mastered the concept at that point. Of course, it was many years after I had played IV that I played III, so I got a sense of seeing what they built IV out of.

You have the main characters talking from time to time, big setpieces for the first time (The Prince's Country where they're at war and they shoot down your airship and junk is notable), their designs were just getting to be really cool.

The battle theme, in particular, has drums for the first time. Not the least reasons for enjoying it, surely.

I really dug this game. I played it on iNes for the first time. Wow. I feel like a dried up old geez...

yukina
08-18-2013, 09:05 AM
This game saved my sanity while I was reviewing for the boards examinations. Everytime I finished a handout (or brain just got tired), I'd pop out the iPad and escape. Finished the whole thing the week before my exams. I'd like to think it was my lucky charm since I passed :)

Madame Adequate
02-15-2014, 06:28 AM
I'm playing it currently for the first time and I'm not getting into it nearly as much as I did I or II. Don't get me wrong, it's by no means bad, but the world feels really, really bland and you definitely needed to get hold of a couple more job options from the first crystal, it's only now that I've got the Water Crystal's jobs that I'm finding that side of things at all interesting.

Ayen
02-15-2014, 07:28 AM
I'm afraid it is a game that has deluded me.

Mirage
02-16-2014, 09:54 PM
I actually started playing this on my PSP recently, but i haven't gotten far. Too many other PSP games in my backlog.

Depression Moon
02-16-2014, 11:39 PM
When did this come out for the PSP? I thought it was DS only.

Mirage
02-16-2014, 11:52 PM
September 20th, 2012. Download only outside of Japan. It's also available on Android.

Madame Adequate
02-17-2014, 02:50 AM
Having progressed further my opinion of this game has increased. I still don't rate it that highly compared to other FFs, but once you unlock a bunch of jobs and start getting some real options regarding how to build your party and stuff, it gets a good deal more enjoyable.

Marionette Cherry
02-17-2014, 06:09 AM
I've played and Finished the DS version and I have the PSP port on my Vita.

I need to get around to playing the original on NES. Some say the original is better.

Gamblet
02-18-2014, 03:38 PM
I need to get around to playing the original on NES. Some say the original is better.

Beware of the brutal difficulty. Don't use savestates to maximize the rage.