PDA

View Full Version : Player Cameras

Rostum
02-02-2013, 08:28 AM
A slightly weird topic, but how do you prefer your cameras to work in the Final Fantasy series (in terms of actual game-play, not cinematic or cut-scenes)? I don't know about you guys, but this aspect usually plays a big role in the presentation of the game and how I end up perceiving it.

For instance there's the top down view of I, II, III, IV, V, and VI; the static camera angles of VII, VIII and XI; the pseudo-static cameras of X, and then the more third-person cameras of XI, XII, XIII, and XIV.

In cinematography there are certain camera techniques, movements and angles (http://www.skwirk.com.au/p-c_s-54_u-251_t-647_c-2411/camera-shots-angles-and-movement-lighting-cinematography-and-mise-en-scene/nsw/camera-shots-angles-and-movement-lighting-cinematography-and-mise-en-scene/skills-by-text-type-film/film-overview) used in order to convey something extra to the audience, and so in that vein I think there is a lot of potential to take it back to how X had done its cameras. In how to tell a greater story at a higher level above dialogue and action, and how to portray more emotion to the player and what they experience.

Just my two-cents. What do you guys think?

Gamblet
02-02-2013, 11:03 AM
I prefer static camera angles, but top down views are good too.

Formalhaut
02-02-2013, 01:37 PM
I liked X's as well, though now and again it really zoomed out, making Tidus slightly hard to see. :p

VeloZer0
02-02-2013, 03:26 PM
I find the static overhead-ish camera angle adds SO much to a game it isn't even funny. When the camera is in a static position instead of glued to the protagonists ass it opens up the game and allows so much more focus on the environment. Not only does it typically allow you to be zoomed out further but it eliminates the need for a mini-map, so you actually spend your time looking at the landscape instead of a little box in the upper right corner. Though FF10 used a static camera I found it was often all to guilty of just following you around from behind. And though FF13 used a free camera in many points it automatically scaled out and changed perspective to really enhance the experience.

I think having the camera follow your character around (as most movable ones are apt to do when you are running around) is a terrible design decision for a JRPG.

Wolf Kanno
02-02-2013, 05:21 PM
I prefer different cameras for different things and I kind of wish that game designers would recognize that and start implementing it like that. The Top View is a classic but its out of style so probably won't see that outside of the indie scene nowadays.

I like static cameras when they are used for the purpose of immersion and showing off the world so its nice in towns and some points in dungeons but I don't like them being 100% for dungeon design cause I feel the designers get a bit more lazy with making the dungeons actually, you know "fun". So its nice if you are going to implement an in-game cut-scene or use if for what is going to be a boring corridor but I don't like seeing it used constantly.

I like a movable camera when its practical for gameplay purposes mainly being exploration and I feel games like Xenogears and Breath of Fire as well as Xenoblade found happy mediums to utilize this feature in meaningful ways. Still, much like the static camera it does lose its usefulness when you are dealing with more immersive areas where its more about the visuals than the gameplay.

So in truth, I would prefer to see both used rather than one over the other.

Bolivar
02-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Sakaguchi acknowledged that Kitase's background as a film student went a long way in directing FFVII, the first game with different camera angles. I prefer static because I want a game developer to take the effort to make a great scene - I don't want to have to do it myself.

Don't forget this also comes into play on the battle screen, and I think FFVII was the master of that as well. VIII-X didn't nail it as hard as VII did IMO.

Raistlin
02-03-2013, 02:26 AM
I enjoyed the static top view in older 2D games, and agree with Velo that it can give more focus to the environment. But in 3D games I am generally annoyed when there isn't a movable camera.

And did someone just praise FFX's camera style? :O_O:

Formalhaut
02-03-2013, 05:18 PM
I didn't mind X's camera at all actually. I don't think I have a complaint with any of the cameras I've used in any game.

Although, I always spend forever trying to orient the camera controls so that it's inverted or not. I take forever getting that "feel" of moving the camera with the analog stick correct in XIII and XIII-2.

VeloZer0
02-03-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't have a problem with FF10's camera style, though I do feel that a lot of the time it's placement is uninspired.

Del Murder
02-04-2013, 01:35 AM
I think it differs by the game. For the older games, a fixed camera works. For the HD entries, I like a free camera.

Rostum
02-04-2013, 03:04 AM
I don't have a problem with FF10's camera style, though I do feel that a lot of the time it's placement is uninspired.

Agreed, I actually like the style but feel it has a lot more potential than what was showcased in X.

VeloZer0
02-04-2013, 03:18 AM
All and all I think FF13 did a not bad job with the camera. You did have control of it to look around if you wished, however it moved around on it's own in response to the environment. I don't have a problem wit the ability to move the camera, I just don't like spending the entire game alternating between looking at your character's back and the mini-map.