PDA

View Full Version : Story-Driven Features

Night Fury
02-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Hey guys!

I'm thinking of really switching up my Summon of the Month feature to something a bit more story-driven and almost like fan-fiction I guess. It's very 'Mythology/Adventure/Mystery' based and here's a wee snippet....

At first I thought I was doing these features for fun, but this month something completely unexplainable happened. As I was sitting one morning doing my research, I heard something clatter through the letterbox. I wasn’t expecting any packages so I was very surprised. As I checked it out and opened the envelope, a large journal dropped down onto the floor.

Slightly blood splattered and worn; I was confused, but as I looked through it I began to understand. I’ve scanned in some images for you….

I'm just wondering what you all think of this? These pieces are for you guys and if you'd prefer me to stick to the other format I will, but I'm just trying to make it fresh, exciting and unique!

Shauna
02-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Should write up a whole one in that format, and see how it goes. If you feel like it.

Although you are writing these for us, you should write how you are comfortable writing. Don't want your piece reading forced. :3

Raistlin
02-05-2013, 12:10 AM
A very interesting idea. I'll admit to being a little hesitant, but you're the one writing it, and I haven't even seen a full version of your idea yet. You may be writing them "for us," but you're doing so out of your own kindness and desire, not out of any obligation. It's an interesting idea if you want to write like that. I could see it getting a little annoying, though, if it was much more than a gimmick of providing the info in a new and interesting way and instead ended took up most of the articles. But then again others might be more interested in the writing than the information.

If you wanted to write more story-driven articles like that, another possible idea would be to take the occasional break from the traditional Summon of the Month to write up a full article in that style based on a previously-covered summon.

Night Fury
02-05-2013, 10:12 AM
A very interesting idea. I'll admit to being a little hesitant, but you're the one writing it, and I haven't even seen a full version of your idea yet. You may be writing them "for us," but you're doing so out of your own kindness and desire, not out of any obligation. It's an interesting idea if you want to write like that. I could see it getting a little annoying, though, if it was much more than a gimmick of providing the info in a new and interesting way and instead ended took up most of the articles. But then again others might be more interested in the writing than the information.

If you wanted to write more story-driven articles like that, another possible idea would be to take the occasional break from the traditional Summon of the Month to write up a full article in that style based on a previously-covered summon.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from Raist. I'm just feeling a bit at a loss lately with my work and need to push things in a new direction. At the moment I feel like it's too cookie cutter and template like. I'm going to give this new method a try, see how it goes down and choose whether to continue it based on that. It will still have all the information the others had, and will be jam packed with more info actually; it's just something completely different that what we've had on the frontsite before and I dunno.... it might be a monumental fail :G

Formalhaut
02-05-2013, 11:22 AM
There's no such thing as failure Locky! I'd try it first, I'm sure it will be amazing.

Night Fury
02-05-2013, 11:52 AM
I guess not, I just hope it is alright. Should be up tonight when I get home from Uni! Or this afternoon maybe...

Loony BoB
02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't really understand why you feel that your works so far are not good, because you seem to be suggesting that. Your works are great. Remember, features aren't supposed to result in regulars suddenly flooding the thread, nor are they supposed to get instant results from lurkers. What they will do is improve our standing in the long run as the features will come up in search results.

Just my two cents, anyway!

Night Fury
02-05-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't really understand why you feel that your works so far are not good, because you seem to be suggesting that. Your works are great. Remember, features aren't supposed to result in regulars suddenly flooding the thread, nor are they supposed to get instant results from lurkers. What they will do is improve our standing in the long run as the features will come up in search results.

Just my two cents, anyway!

No, I think my work is okay - but there's room for improvement. To make it a bit more unique, fresh and exciting - instead of just the same template every month.

Formalhaut
02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
I feel it's great that your continuously striving to better yourself Locky! I've read your latest summon of the month, delightful. And I loved the cliffhanger ending. Keeps you wanting more.

I'd give it a :up:

Freya
02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
TARA CROFT GOING ON ADVENTURES AND SHIT. I like it. A lot!

Night Fury
02-05-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm glad it turned out well! :D
I can't wait to do the next one! Tara Croft strikes again! :D

Mercen-X
02-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Like Shauna said, the only way to test the idea properly is to write up a full piece in this format and see how it's received.

Jinx
02-06-2013, 03:33 AM
Why not both? :)

You can do the spotlight, and maybe a in the middle of the month do a story with that summon.