PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest VII comes to the 3DS

Freya
02-05-2013, 07:12 PM
If you're a fan of the Dragon Quest series but don't have anything to play them on, fear not! Dragon Quest VII was just released in Japan on the 3DS. There isn't any news about a NA version yet but seeing as how the Dragon Quest series is a popular one even here in NA and EU,it most likely will receive the translation treatment soon.

Dragon Quest VII was originally made for the PSone but recently got the makeover treatment and was ported to the 3DS. To add to what is already there it has been updated with monsters from Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry’s Wonderland 3D and StreetPass Shards. This will expand the gameplay far more than it ever was on its original platform. Not only that but they've added in 3D Maps from a Bird's eye view as well as more impressive graphics and animated movies.

In this entry you'll use stone plates to create portals to enter new realms. You'll start on the Estad islands and have a plethora of classes to choose from. If you're a Dragon Quest fan and have yet to play this one then keep your eyes peeled because it could be out for NA and EU soon!

Are you a fan of the DQ series? Excited for a portable DQVII?

Del Murder
02-05-2013, 07:17 PM
I'll try this one out again if it ever makes it stateside.

Yar
02-05-2013, 07:31 PM
I was hoping to pick it up while I am here, but I heard that 3DS's are region locked... So I'm afraid to buy a Japanese 3DS and then take it back to the States. :/

Plus, it's really expensive and I'm really poor. :( Need to save some money~

Laddy
02-06-2013, 08:51 PM
I am way too excited for this. Too bad I don't have a 3DS...

nirojan
02-08-2013, 03:14 AM
Does anyone know if this is from Level-5?

Shauna
02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Another DQ for me to get and not play for years. Seems fine. :}

Granted, of course, that it hits these shores. I'm sure it will though, the rest of them did.

Wolf Kanno
02-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Interesting, I heard a rumor the game actually changed the encounter system from the traditional random encounter to the one used in DQIX.

Del Murder
02-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Interesting indeed.

Citizen Bleys
02-08-2013, 07:04 PM
I haven't played this series since the NES era. If it comes out on a non-3DS platform (c'mon Android) I'll give it a whirl.

Wolf Kanno
02-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Its already shipped a million units in Japan (http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/12/dragon-quest-vii-square-enix-ships-1m-3ds-units-in-japane/).

Yar
02-27-2013, 11:32 AM
I picked it up today. I'm only about an hour into but I'm already amazed by it. Oh man I can't wait dig into this game :D

McLovin'
02-28-2013, 07:22 AM
I'll buy a 3DS just for this. WHEN IS THE NA RELEASE DATE DAMNIT!? C'MON JAPAN!

NeoCracker
03-02-2013, 05:10 PM
DQ VII, latest Fire Emblem, and Soul Hackers? I really need a 3DS. :cry:

Depression Moon
03-02-2013, 10:07 PM
How's VII compared to VIII

McLovin'
03-05-2013, 07:11 AM
7 is just a massive game. Initially, there's only one continent in the entire world and that's how it has always been to you. One little village, a castle, and an old ruin. You explore this ruin and discover a section with 4 different rooms containing several pedestals that actually contain portals to worlds/continents locked in the past by the main villain. So you have to find the pieces of each world for each pedestal and then when you do that you get sucked into the world, which is actually in the far past. You do the mission for each world and when you come back to the present that world is unlocked in the present and it's usually pretty different.

Also the game has a "Sim Town" where you find people around the world and recruit them to go to this town and the more people you find the more the town grows and it was seriously the best part of the game for me. Each person is unique and they all go to the town (which you get to name) and it starts super small but then grows into a massive city.

It's just a ton of fun to explore the massive world Square created in this game. There isn't really a main story. Just a ton of side stories for each quest you go on in each world. Then once you do aaaall that then the main story reveals itself. Compared to VIII I think the atmosphere of the world is really calm. There's no rush to do anything. You're free to explore and talk to the people in the world at your own pace.