PDA

View Full Version : Laddy Has An RPG and He Wants You To Play It

Laddy
02-06-2013, 08:14 PM
What up, my lovely EoFFers?

Okay, so I have an RPG I've been developing for the past year and I need help balancing and lore-building before I get really deep into the systems and world.

So, in short, I want you guys to test it out. I have a short campaign written up, and my system, despite being in a very, very early development stage, needs to be tested so I know whether or not I want to move along with this particular system. Also, I need help getting some inspiration for the lore of the setting. In short, based on how you guys play certain races/classes/nationalities may inspire my later development.

So, a quick summary of what the game is.

The unnamed game is a pen-and-paper RPG game set in a system combining fantasy, science fiction, steampunk, and Jazz Age. The world has a wide-variety of cultures based off real-world cultures, a space-faring element, but also elements of early 20th Century technology. There are multiple races, each with their own strengths, weaknesses, cultures, and special abilities, as well as multiple classes for you to play as to create a wide variety of character options and play styles.

The game system is fairly simple, with a d100 system and an Armor Class system I really, really hope isn't too annoying.

If you're interested, I can set up a session in a RPG chat, like roll20, for how to roll up a character or I can do it through PM or even in the thread. We can schedule a time to play if you so wish as well.

So, who's in? Do you want more info or are you not all interested?

Agent Proto
02-06-2013, 08:20 PM
It sounds pretty interesting. I would like to try this game out with you. :D

Skyblade
02-06-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm willing to try, and I do love lore-building.

Although I'm not sure I'll have time to participate in two tabletop RPG sessions. What day would this be?

Laddy
02-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Hell, I can help you roll your character via PM if you want.

EDIT: As for the date, I'm available whenever you guys are.

Roogle
02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Oh, how funny. 1d100? It sounds like my game, Dokal. I run that in #eoff from time to time.

Bunny
02-06-2013, 10:11 PM
I would probably be interested in this since the D&D group seems to have died.

Laddy
02-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Aw yeah. I was worried about people not being interested. Anyways, lemme get a list going of people.

Interested
1. Pr00tz
2. Skyblade
3. Bunny
4. Bolivar

EDIT: Also, if anyone wants to jump ahead and create a character, you can go ahead and PM me if you want.

Pike
02-07-2013, 12:43 AM
oooh I might be interested :) let's get a list of races/classes and stuff!

Laddy
02-07-2013, 01:13 AM
All righty.

Races (There are 16)

Humans-Humans have no bonuses are penalties. They come in nine ethnicities, based on their national origin. Size: Medium

Elves-Physically weak but smarter and quicker. Slightly smaller than humans, they come in five subraces: Red Elf, Sun Elf, Wood Elf, Dark Elf, Sea Elf, and City Elf. Size: Medium

Dwarf-Short, stocky bearded people living in a caste-based society. They're strong and pious, but gruff and slow. They come in six castes: Noble, Warrior, Priest, Merchant, Artisan, and Commoner. Size: Medium

Orc-Large tribal peoples known for their incredible fighting spirit. Strong, but unintelligent and uncharismatic. Size: Large

Felkin-Anthromorphic cat people, they are slightly smaller than humans, with bonuses to athletic and sensory skills, but have penalties to strength, vitality, and willpower. They come in Lion, Jaguar, Tiger, and Leopard varieties. Size: Medium

Dragonite-Large dragon people, strong and intelligent but also lacking in agility and dexterity. Known for their love of history, and come in Red, Blue, Green, Gold, Black, and White varieties. Size: Large

Nymph-Small and happy-go-lucky people with a love of nature. Has huge bonuses to Intelligence and Charisma, but very physically weak. Size: Small

Ramjur-Large anthromorphic ram people, known for their stoic personalities. Strong and pious, but also unintelligent, slow, and unappealing. Size: Large

Naga-Snake people with no legs but an upright torso. Intelligent, charismatic, and perceptive, but somewhat weak. Known for being untrustworthy. Size: Medium

Quontori-Large antlike people with a colony mentality that communicates through pheromones. Strong, wise, and perceptive but extremely unintelligent and slow. Size: Large

Daemon-People with rift-touched blood and a slightly demonic appearance. Very charismatic, but extremely lacking in self-control, personifying the sins of Greed, Pride, Wrath, or Lust. Size: Medium

Spakki-Hamster people, both in appearance and size. Amiable, intelligent, and fast, they are also extremely weaker than the other races. Size: Small

Poltergeist-Wandering spirits occupying deceased human vessels. While the spirits are immortal, the bodies are not, and they often need to find fresh and unbroken corpses to occupy when the current host does. Size: Medium

Eaglon-Eagle people with useless wings and talons, known for their competitive and honorable culture. Strong, fast, wise, and perceptive, but also lacking in dexterity, charisma, and vitality. Size: Medium

Ursan-Bear people known for their introspective and knowledge-based culture. Strong and intelligent, but slow and uncharismatic. Size: Large

Almeri-Small aquatic people with tails, finned limbs, and gills. Known for their large underwater cities. Strong and fast, but unintelligent and uncharismatic.

Classes (There are 12)

Fighter-Master of combat, with high HP, a large access to equipment, and bonus to attack damage.

Saboteur-Master or stealth and sabotage. Agile and capable of picking locks, disarming tracks, etc.

Ranger-Master of long-range weaponry, wilderness survival, traps, and other nature-based skills. Uses low-level Alchemist spells.

Monk-Master of highly-trained unarmed fighting.

Paladin-Master of defensive and heavy-armored combat, as well as a user of low-level Cleric spells.

Engineer-Master of machinery and inventing, capable of using firearms and self-crafted tools better than any other class.

Alchemist-Master or crafting potions and other chemical-based tools for a wide variety of uses. Uses Alchemist spells.

Cleric-Master of using one's god/s to harness divine power for healing and defensive purposes. Uses Cleric spells.

Warlock-Master of using pacts from the Rift harness Riftic powers for damage and disabling foes. Uses Warlock spells.

Illusionist-Master of using charisma to mislead foes by using hand treaks, but also conjuring phantasms and illusions. Uses Illusionist spells.

Druid-Master of using the power of nature and animal companions to defend allies and destroy foes. Uses both Cleric and Alchemist spells.

Bard-Master of song and spoken word. Has by far the highest numbers of non-combat skills available, and uses Illusionist and Warlock spells.

Also, there are nine nations, but I'll bring those up later.

Pike
02-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Ohhhhhh man I want to be a hamster engineer :hyper:

Laddy
02-08-2013, 01:50 AM
Somehow I knew you'd pick that. :lol: Do you wanna roll up your character in PM?

And Bunny's character is more or less finished. He is badass. He is pretty much unkillable. And his name is probably the coolest name ever.

Bunny
02-08-2013, 02:52 AM
AWWWWWW YEAAAAA

Laddy
02-09-2013, 07:27 AM
All right, so since I have some peeps interested it's about time we decide when we wanna do this. I'm up for anything.

Also, PM me for character generation and shit.

Bolivar
02-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Woah woah woah we've only been doing my character via PM, you didn't tell me there would be trout, too.

Araciel
02-10-2013, 05:21 AM
You know I'm in if I can.

Laddy
02-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Fair enough. Send me a PM and we'll get started on character generation.

Laddy
02-19-2013, 10:14 PM
SHAMELESS BUMP

It's about time to start planning when we're gonna do this. When do you guys wanna start?

Bolivar
02-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Wanna try to shoot for a Friday session since that's when people have been available for our D&D games?

Laddy
02-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Friday works for me. In regards to time, any time after 12:30EST works for me.

And if you haven't already, send me your backgrounds. ^^

Pike
02-20-2013, 01:03 AM
Friday sounds good as long as it's not TOO late. I'll get to work on a background soonish :)

Araciel
02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
I'll try...

Chemical
02-21-2013, 07:38 AM
I actually received a happy birthday note from an Rpg forum sisterkin to EoFF and was thinking about doing something like that again but since I moved to Australia I dont think I could commit since I only have internet access on my school days - Mondays and Wednesdays.

Still seems old school and fun.

I support this.

Bunny
02-22-2013, 01:52 AM
My graphics card died and I'm unable to mount it to make use of onboard graphics. I have a replacement card coming and, weather permitting, it should be here Friday afternoon (MST). You guys will probably be done by the time I am able to participate though.

Maybe next time.

Laddy
02-22-2013, 01:53 AM
So, who can still do this? xD

Bunny
02-22-2013, 01:56 AM
Assuming I get my graphics card tomorrow, literally any other time would work for me. :(

I DEMAND YOU ADHERE TO MY SCHEDULE. You must all be graced with the presence that is my character.

Laddy
02-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Not gonna lie. Bunny's character is pretty damn sweet.

Loony BoB
02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Seems I'm a little late to this show, but yeah, lore building is something I really enjoy doing, so if you still need help with that then let me know.

Bolivar
02-22-2013, 04:05 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_r959I00kE7I/TOqKntqh06I/AAAAAAAAAhs/7KS7Jc5-aBk/s1600/0eb82bed897a159d663d6bb85f45050e.jpg

Here's two player tokens for Rinru, my Ursan (Panda) Paladin (either is fine):

I've used TokenTool (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads) to create custom tokens for our other game, I can make them for others if need be, just send me an image link.

Laddy
02-22-2013, 05:27 PM
You're welcome to join us BoB.

All right, I was thinking we do this at 6EST, as it will only take a few hours. I will have a personal chat room set up. If anyone has any questions, lemme know.

Pike
02-22-2013, 06:13 PM
If this is still on tonight then that time should be okay for me. I do go to bed around 8:30 or 9 EST though, as a headsup.

Araciel
02-22-2013, 06:46 PM
No can do tonight.

Conference then up early tomorrow.

Laddy
02-22-2013, 10:01 PM
All right. I'mma get lunch and then open up the chat to get this shit started.

Laddy
02-22-2013, 10:26 PM
http://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/85905/eoff-plays-laddys-game

Jinx
02-22-2013, 10:32 PM
http://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/85905/eoff-plays-laddys-game

It says I'm not authorized.

Laddy
02-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Whoops.

https://app.roll20.net/join/85905/FAXHgg

Laddy
02-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Bump.

So are you guys up for another session this weekend. I've added a different element to the classes and I think you guys might like it.

Pike
02-28-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm down. Same time/day?

Laddy
02-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Works for me.

Bunny
02-28-2013, 04:47 PM
I get out of class at 2pm MST. I am free after that, minus one short thing I have to take care of at 4.

Bolivar
02-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Sounds good to me, anyone new care to join in for this session?

Jinx
02-28-2013, 05:21 PM
I WORK ):<

Laddy
03-01-2013, 03:14 PM
That sucks. :( Anyway, I got everything ready for this afternoon. Hope to see you guys in a few hours.

Jinx
03-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Oh....it's TODAY?

Bolivar
03-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Ok, so Bunny's comp's been fixed, TB's skipping work, Laddy's got everything ready, I'm good to go whenever!

Bunny
03-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I just remembered that I have a meeting today with a potential baker. I will be later than usual but I think you can manage without me for a little bit.

Laddy
03-01-2013, 08:23 PM
All right, I was thinking about holding this at 5EST like last time. If anyone can't handle that, I can push it back.

Pike
03-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Shit, we weren't doing this today, were we? I forgot it was Friday until just now :shobon:

Laddy
03-08-2013, 10:54 PM
I don't think we ever decided if we were. I wasn't able to do it today, but we can do it later this weekend if you guys want.

Bunny
03-08-2013, 10:58 PM
We didn't talk about it because you disappeared and we decided to call it quits. Nobody ever said anything about rescheduling it though.

I might be around this weekend, but I'm not sure how available I will be.

Bolivar
03-09-2013, 12:14 AM
If you guys are available, I'll be down.

Mercen-X
03-09-2013, 02:43 AM
I haven't known about this.

Felkin
Ramjur
Ursan
Quontori
AlmeriBonus for imagination! :exdee:

Orc-Monk

Laddy
03-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Who can do this Friday? :o

Pike
03-13-2013, 01:53 AM
Pretty sure I can. Then I'm disappearing for a few weeks though :shobon:

Bolivar
03-13-2013, 04:44 AM
Yeah, most likely I'll be available

Araciel
03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
No-can-doozle.

sadface

Laddy
03-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Actually, something came up so I can't do Friday; I'm sorry. How's Saturday?

Bunny
03-15-2013, 07:16 AM
I am getting drunk on Saturday and Sunday and Monday and probably Tuesday through Sunday.

Pike
03-15-2013, 10:29 AM
I may or may not also be getting drunk on Saturday but I'm still down if everyone else is.

Araciel
03-16-2013, 05:11 AM
work

Bolivar
03-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Hey I mentioned this in the Steam group thread, but I was thinking since Bunny won't be with us it might be a nice idea to just wait till the next session and hang out with Vivi and play some Morrowind instead. I'm getting drunk tomorrow so it's fine with me if you guys still wanna play today, I'll be checkin the thread so let me know.

Laddy
03-16-2013, 08:44 PM
We can do it next week no problem. :)

Pike
03-16-2013, 08:52 PM
I'll be gone for the next two weeks; leaving the country in a few days :shobon: sorry guys! Feel free to continue without me if you can get enough people, though, and I can jump in later.

Slothy
03-17-2013, 04:30 AM
Hey I mentioned this in the Steam group thread, but I was thinking since Bunny won't be with us it might be a nice idea to just wait till the next session and hang out with Vivi and play some Morrowind instead. I'm getting drunk tomorrow so it's fine with me if you guys still wanna play today, I'll be checkin the thread so let me know.

Ha, I just realized that I completely misinterpreted your post in the Steam thread. This is what happens when I'm not sleeping well enough. :exdee:

I'd actually like to try getting in on this RPG sometime, but I don't know when I'll have the time. Definitely not next week, though things might free up a bit after that aside from days with Steam events.

Laddy
03-17-2013, 04:46 AM
Awesome. If you're up for it hit me up on Mognet and we'll get a-rolling. :monster:

Bolivar
03-18-2013, 02:54 AM

Ha, I just realized that I completely misinterpreted your post in the Steam thread. This is what happens when I'm not sleeping well enough. :exdee:

I'd actually like to try getting in on this RPG sometime, but I don't know when I'll have the time. Definitely not next week, though things might free up a bit after that aside from days with Steam events.

Haha, you definitely should. Pike, Bunny and I have been having a blast and Laddy's come up with a pretty fun system and some good GMing to back it up.

Laddy
03-18-2013, 03:47 AM
Speaking of which, here I'll post some idea and ask what you guys think.

Paladins are basically just slightly defense-based fighters with Cleric spells. I was thinking of adding an element called Virtue, in which Paladins performs selfless acts and builds up Virtue in order to be able to perform minor miracles based on their Virtue cost. Like, a reroll for 1 Virtue, reviving a dying ally for 10 Virtue and so on.

As for Engineers, upon leveling up that can upgrade their Polygun or various machines, either by making them more powerful, "buying" a new one, or adding features to an existing one. For example, upon reaching Level 2, Pike can upgrade her Polygun Mk1 to Mk2, and decides to add a scope for increased range and sniping abilities. Or she could out and choose from a list of schematics and decide to build a Harpoon Launcher, allowing her to develop her Engineer in a variety of ways. Does she want to be a damage dealer and build up weapons? Does she build up tools for enhancing certain skills? Does she get really high level and build her own personal combat mech? I want the Engineer to be versatile, and I think this system allows for it.

And finally, I was thinking about a new system in which characters roll moral strengths and weaknesses. Like, is a character particularly brave? Is she sympathetic? Or is she cruel or greedy? Willpower can determine the bonuses and penalties for these, as well as your ability to resist them. This system allows for increased customization and lowers Mary Sue potential. (By the way, no one's character is a Mary Sue so you're fine xD)

Bolivar
03-18-2013, 11:05 PM
I think introducing morality and character witnesses into a save system is a pretty great idea.

I like these Paladin mechanics, I'm willing to play around with them. Would gaining Virtue points be a thing you do in combat or would it be based on roleplaying?

Laddy
03-19-2013, 01:34 AM
Either. If you take a hit for an injured ally, stay behind so the party can run away, you gain virtue. Selfless acts are also granted Virtue if they're out of combat too. Let's say you stay behind so the rest of the party can escape, since you're essentially giving your life, you get a shit ton of Virtue, allowing you to maybe be able to use for pretty significant buffs to increase your chances of survival. When I think of Paladin with all their valor and righteousness, I think a system that rewards them for said behavior should be in place.

Laddy
04-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Anyone up for continuing this? :spin:

Pike
04-20-2013, 11:46 PM
I'm up if everyone else is! :hyper:

Bolivar
04-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Absolutely, maybe some other EoFFers might get interested as well??? :hyper:

Laddy
04-22-2013, 02:47 AM
By the way, I've given each class a unique mechanic to add variety to combat. In addition, all characters now have Vices, which include Greed, Cowardice, Pride, Wrath, Lust, and Despair levels which, when an action has an effect of a certain level for a particular vice, all characters with a Vice level below that must resist with a Willpower check. Some races and classes have higher resistances or penalties than other characters. When the character fails, they succumb to that vice. For example, a succubus with a high Charisma will have a Vice level of 5, so all characters attracted to women with a Vice level 5 or below must roll a Willpower check or else be seduced.

As for class abilities, here they are...

Alchemist: Alchemy-In addition to their spells, Alchemists can create potions, salves, and other consumables by following and recording recipes with various raw materials.
Bard: Song Composition-Can string together notes with various effects to create originals spells through song through various ancient bardic songbooks.
Cleric: Prophecy-With visions from their gods, Clerics can fulfill prophecies for additional power or bonuses, sort of like personal mini-quests depending on their religion.
Druid: Animal Companion-Druids can charm and level up their animal companions as they level up.
Engineer: Schematics-Upon leveling up, Engineers can add features of enhancements to their existing machines or create new ones from a Schematics list.
Fighter: Rage-Based on their actions in combat, Fighters can get either increasingly strong offensive or defensive bonuses as they take more damage.
Illusionist: Deck of Fate-Illusionists can add cards to create their own deck of cards with various benefits and penalties to use on any given situation, often with incredible results, for better or for worst.
Monk: Discipline-As they level up, Monks can choose to learn the ways of various fighting disciplines to provide them various combat bonuses and unique attacks.
Paladin: Virtue-As they perform good or sacrificial deeds, Paladins can dispense Virtue for bonuses to their combat abilities, sometimes being able to turn the tide of a fight.
Ranger: Favored Terrain-Rangers can build up their ability to use their terrain and obstacles to improve their advantages in combat while sitting in trees or underwater, etc.
Saboteur: Assassination-As they level up, Saboteurs can add various unique ways to stealth kill in a variety of way for a variety of situations with unique weaponry.
Warlock: Summoning-Warlocks can level up their own unique monsters to from the Rift to sometimes call upon as they collect Rift essence.

Bunny
04-22-2013, 05:54 AM
Depending on the day, I would be interested.

Laddy
04-25-2013, 02:45 AM
So who's up for this? And if you are, what day shall we do it?

Also, feel free for newbies to sign up! :excited:

Bolivar
04-25-2013, 03:08 AM
weekends or nights EST time after 6 would be best for me.

Pike
04-25-2013, 10:37 AM
So who's up for this? And if you are, what day shall we do it?

Any day between about 2 and 6 MST (so 4 and 8 EST.) I can go earlier on Sundays. (excepting Sunday May 5 because I have to work an overnight xD)

Laddy
04-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Also, if you guys know a person or two who might be interested, get 'em here! :roll:

Slothy
04-25-2013, 03:10 PM
I would be interested. This week is pretty much a no go for me, but after that should be a bit better. Just give me plenty of warning so I don't end up scheduling a Warmachine game with friends or something.

Laddy
04-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Is today at 6EST too soon for people? :roll:

Pike
04-26-2013, 10:28 AM
That works for me, I'll only be around for a couple hours though, due to early bedtime.

Laddy
04-26-2013, 10:51 AM
That'll work. :monster:

Slothy
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Tonight no good for me, but I can just join in on a later play session.

Bolivar
04-27-2013, 04:27 AM
Hey guys sorry I couldn't make this, I was travelling a bit today but if you want to try to get something in tomorrow I can definitely make some time!

Laddy
04-27-2013, 04:47 AM
Yeah Pike and I were the only ones there but if I am back from tomorrow at say...6EST you guys wanna go?

Bunny
04-27-2013, 04:56 AM
Sorry, was a bit busy today and couldn't make it. I could possibly make it tomorrow but it would be later than 6EST if at all.