PDA

View Full Version : FF Characters You Would Like To See

Laddy
02-08-2013, 04:46 AM
I would like to see the following in a game...

-A black woman.
-A badass middle-aged woman that doesn't feel the need to mention her age.
-A cast of people all over the age of 25.
-A male White Mage. (Come on, Minwu was one of the most underrated
-A romantic couple in your party.
-An openly gay party member.
-A character who is physically handicapped.
-A female character who is also the physically strongest.
-An "evil" party member.
-A lead, either male or female, that isn't designed to be particularly attractive.

What type of characters do you wanna see?

qwertysaur
02-08-2013, 05:09 AM

-A black woman.
-An "evil" party member.
-A lead, either male or female, that isn't designed to be particularly attractive.

Fran does have some pretty dark skin.
Romantic couple: We already have Cecil+Rosa. Squall+Rinoa. Serah+Snow.
Tifa is the Monk of the party and she is able to lift some very heavy enemies and bosses with some of her limit breaks.
Shadow could be considered to be an "evil" character at least in the WoB. Also there is the time when Rinoa is possessed by Ultimecia. And Seymour is in the party for a battle. And Argus from FFT. And there are the times you have guests from Duelhorn during their plotline in FFTA2.

maybee
02-08-2013, 05:12 AM
- A Black lead Character

- Openly Gay Character

- Another Male White Mage like Minwu

- A Chocobo in your party, like Final Fantasy XIII-2 expect he has more of a character.

- Somebody who falls in love in the villain and tries to see the villain in a different light without coming off naive and stupid.

- Another old man character and he doesn't die.

- Female character that is the strongest physically

- Another Happy Ending.

Jinx
02-08-2013, 05:12 AM
Dona.

Laddy
02-08-2013, 05:43 AM
Fran isn't human. And...is Dona black?

qwertysaur
02-08-2013, 05:52 AM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061231121826/finalfantasy/images/thumb/c/ca/Dona_FFX.jpg/140px-Dona_FFX.jpg
Yes

Citizen Bleys
02-08-2013, 06:32 AM
More bards: Not like Gilbert. Like Shakespeare.

Someone funny and upbeat without being annoying. (I do not think S-E's writers are capable of accomplishing this)

An antihero like Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever

A villain that you can really root for like Char Aznable

A strong monarch that is neither in their early 20s or the verge of dying of old age.

A prince who isn't a fop.

A princess who isn't a trout.

A silent non-protagonist with a dark past with a sidequest where you learn about said dark past and they become non-silent if you succeed in said side quest.

A protagonist who is too old for this trout.

black orb
02-08-2013, 07:39 AM

-A black woman.
-An "evil" party member.

>>> You need to play Final Fantasy Tactics..:luca:

>>> I want a crazy hobo a zombified pirate and cyborg girl in my party..:luca:
best FF ever.

Forsaken Lover
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
I want a main protagonist who turns into a main villain halfway through the game.

Ya know, like Baten Katis - a much better JRPG than most FFs.

Why do none of you people ever appreciate greatness...

Mercen-X
02-09-2013, 08:20 PM
-The main protagonist becomes the villain
-Shakespearean bard
-Someone funny and upbeat without being annoying
-A villain that you can really root for
-A Black lead Character
-A Chocobo in your party
-Someone in the party in love with the villain
-Another old man character and he doesn't die
-Another Happy Ending
-A black woman as a party member
-A badass middle-aged woman that doesn't feel the need to mention her age
-A cast of people all over the age of 25
-A male White Mage
-I was going to say an openly romantic couple in your party (but we have Tidus and Yuna making out underwater, I don't think we can hope for more than that)
-An openly gay party member draping himself over his love interest :p
-A character who is physically handicapped (in a wheelchair or on crutches)
-A female character who is also the physically strongest outside of combat (used for like clearing obstacles etc)

-An "evil" party member
-A lead, either male or female, that isn't designed to be particularly attractive.Do you mean like an anti-hero who does "what he must" because he doesn't see the redeeming qualities in a villain while the rest of the party tries to give benefit of doubt or show mercy?

maybee
02-09-2013, 11:33 PM

Ashe. Princess Garnet.

Mercen-X
02-10-2013, 04:17 AM
A princess who is a trout. Or a frog. Or an oglop.

Jinx
02-10-2013, 09:46 PM

Ashe. Princess Garnet.

I'll give you Ash. Garnet, not so much.

Loony BoB
02-11-2013, 12:20 PM
All of these characters should be party members, because just adding them in as NPCs is boring or has already been done.
- A tiny person. I'm talking fairy sized, here.
- A fat person. I'm talking Blob from the X-Men, here.
- A newly created non-humanoid creature, similar to that of Red XIII.
- A lead character who is a robot.
- A married couple in your party that go through a divorce (as in, they don't fall back in love with each other).
- A parent/child combo.
- A parent who has lost a child (instead of a child who has lost a parent, which is cliché to hell). And I don't mean crystallised, I meand they DIE.
- A full-on traitor who turns out to be the central villain right at/near the end. It shouldn't be obvious.
- An alien.
- Someone unable to control their magical capabilities when they are emotional, essentially causing death. They could, perhaps, have killed their parents accidentally, for example.
- X-Men styled characters that each have their own unique but notable power.
- People with actual families. You know. Proper ones. With two parents, siblings, perhaps grandparents and aunts/uncles and whatnot. That kind of thing. ALL OF THEM, too. Not just one of them. It's completely ridiculous how many people don't have a family in these games, when having a family actually makes you fight more (see: Nora).
- A teacher of skills, perhaps fighting, perhaps gathering, perhaps crafting.

Del Murder
02-21-2013, 04:31 AM
BoB's game sounds depressing.

I would play a game with Laddy's list.

Laddy
02-21-2013, 05:16 AM
-A black woman.
A black party member. In fact, a game with humans of a variety of ethnicities would be nice.

Real middle age, too. Like 40-55. Bonus points it her age is not treated like a humorous contradiction.

At least by average. I feel more intensely with an adult's issues than a teenager just being insecure.

It's ridiculous women have been put in this role so much.

I mean a real romantic couple. As in, a married couple who has real relationship issues without making them a center of the conflict. Also, not "falling in love" but actually having a real history together.

A romance arc with this person would be double points. Being stereotypical or having their sexuality being their primary conflict would lose points.

Again, don't make their "struggles with being handicapped" define them.

A female Auron. As in, hands-down the strongest.

-An "evil" party member.
I don't mean "anti-hero" or "moody", I mean doing the right thing for the wrong reasons and using the party for their own means. Bonus points if they're balanced, their motivations make sense, and they're not doing anything "for the evilz".

Again, not necessarily ugly. Even ruggedly good-looking works, but these bishounen and sex kittens are seriously losing their appeal and ability to be identified with.

Quindiana Jones
02-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Lost Odyssey has two parents who have lost a child. And it's fucking heart-breaking.

Vivi was physically handicapped in that he was short and clumsy. Also, relative to Sabin, pretty much everyone in FFVI is physically handicapped, because Sabin is the god of bears.

I would like a main character to actually be an Imp. Not a person in Imp status, but an actual Imp. And his quest would revolve around them hunting the legendary Imp equipment. Good times.

Jinx
02-21-2013, 04:00 PM
I don't think being short is a disability. :stare:

Sephiroth
02-21-2013, 04:14 PM

Lightning was officially said to be the "strongest female woman in Final Fantasy" in 2009. Fang seems to be very skilled, of course. So is Tifa. Nevertheless she is the best in terms of Final Fantasy storyline strengths. Physically, of course. There are still women like Ultimecia.

Many of those things on some lists shout for the story of "Nier".

Quindiana Jones
02-24-2013, 05:08 PM
I don't think being short is a disability. :stare:

He said handicapped, not disabled.

Rantz
02-24-2013, 06:23 PM
- A full-on traitor who turns out to be the central villain right at/near the end. It shouldn't be obvious.

This is what comes to mind for me too. Cait Sith's treachery was lame, I want a long-term traitor who is overtly likeable for most of the game. Realising towards the last quarter of the game that someone in your party is a traitor and to have them revealed near the end, maybe fighting them as the penultimate boss or something. Large scale treachery is one of my favourite sub-plot themes, would be awesome to see it implemented well. :D

Depression Moon
02-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Lead non-white non Asian character
Cyborg Moogle
Old Woman party member
Identical twins in the party
A party member from a less common job class like Beastmaster, time mage, etc.
A mackdaddy villain that I'm so jelly of.

Laddy
02-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Kreia from KOTOR2 was an excellent example of a character who was a party member who became the lead villain about 4/5 into the game. She was also a badass old woman with one hand so she fit many of these criteria. Obsidian is a developer Square Enix could learn a lot from.

But yeah, the idea of a protagonist becoming the main villain is an amazingly awesome idea that I would love to see an FF game pull off. :monster:

maybee
02-25-2013, 08:21 AM

Sabin. Edgar.

The Twins from FF IV.

Mercen-X
02-27-2013, 04:18 AM
-A black badass middle-aged woman romantically coupled with the not-so-hot male white mage in your party whose brother is the handicapped openly gay guy with a massive hardon for the "evil" party member who in turn is in love with the strongest member of the group who is female.

Jinx
02-27-2013, 04:32 AM
-A black badass middle-aged woman romantically coupled with the not-so-hot male white mage in your party whose brother is the handicapped openly gay guy with a massive hardon for the "evil" party member who in turn is in love with the strongest member of the group who is female.

Let's kill the Fuhrer.

Depression Moon
02-27-2013, 07:55 PM

Sabin. Edgar.

The Twins from FF IV.

Neither of those pairs are identical.

Mercen-X
02-28-2013, 01:58 AM
How about this? A character comes off as schizophrenic until you realize he/she is actually a pair of mischievous twins who have thus far not been taking the quest seriously enough to reveal their existence to the party.

The Man
02-28-2013, 02:29 AM

Let's kill the Fuhrer. I'm disappointed; you passed up the opportunity to make that a perfect Doctor Who reference :(

I was on my way to a gay gypsy Bar Mitzvah for the disabled when I suddenly thought, gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish. I think I'll kill the Führer. Who's with me?

Jinx
02-28-2013, 02:32 AM
I didn't pass it up. I thought adding to it made the reference more lame.

The Man
02-28-2013, 02:35 AM
Ah. I think the effect is rather reduced without the full quote :(

Jinx
02-28-2013, 02:39 AM
The whole joke was that Laddy's list hit every single stereotype River mentions.

You either got the joke or you didn't.

And now you ruined it. :(

The Man
02-28-2013, 02:40 AM
He didn't mention gypsies :monster:

Regardless, the fact that every other one of them is on there would've inspired me to bold every single one of them in both quotes, but whatever :monster:

Quindiana Jones
02-28-2013, 03:07 PM
You two need to get laid.

Cloudane
02-28-2013, 03:43 PM

Zell spends the entire game ignoring the library girl who's after him, while lusting after hot dogs. Think about that. :monster:

Wolf Kanno
02-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Not true, there is a whole sidequest of getting him hooked up with the librarian chick that actually ends with him meeting her at the Balamb Hotel. ;)

Cloudane
02-28-2013, 09:52 PM
I sit corrected. Various parts of FFVIII are suppressed memories I guess :p

The Man
02-28-2013, 10:46 PM
You two need to get laid.
I'm willing if she is :monster:

Jinx
03-01-2013, 03:29 AM
Yv5gORbDWY0

The last 10 seconds of this video.

Shorty
03-01-2013, 04:13 AM
Stop derailing this thread with your exchange of flirting, you two.

I'd like to see a strong, silent-type female character with an eyepatch like Fujin and a mechanical arm/gun arm like Barret who is just on the verge of being an antihero.

edit: now that I think about it, I haven't played FF9 but apparently Beatrix also technically has a patch.

I'd also be interested in seeing one of the main party members revealed to be the villain, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Jinx
03-01-2013, 04:26 AM
I WAS NOT FLIRTING

I'd like to see a character who fights with their hair!

Del Murder
03-01-2013, 04:30 AM
RedXIII uses a hairpin.

Rantz
03-01-2013, 09:51 AM
I WAS NOT FLIRTING

Jinx
03-01-2013, 02:43 PM
I WAS NOT FLIRTING

EXACTLY WHAT I HAD IN MIND.

I used to destroy people with this character on the N64 when I was a kid. To the point people would refused to play with me. :smug:

Mercen-X
03-03-2013, 05:15 AM
now that I think about it, I haven't played FF9 but apparently Beatrix also technically has a patch.

TECHNICALLY? :spin:

Also, she should have a prosthetic that is a chainsaw-gun-arm unlike Barret's which had to be swapped out.

Greatermaximus
03-06-2013, 10:01 PM
If you think about it you can incorporate any character into a game. Even Final Fantasy if you look past the aesthetics. Think flexiblity.

Jonny Quest - artificer or thief
His partner could be some sort of wizard.

Guinan from Star Trek - blue mage or white mage.

"Friends" could easily be knights or paladins.

What you're referring to is what 'job' should one be. It's not a matter of what one you'd like to see all the time, but maybe what job is correct for someone real/imagined.

In final fantasy or any fiction/non-fiction there are plenty of characters of any kind in combat/non-combat rolls or both. Cid is a great example.

Cloudane
03-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Guinan from Star Trek - blue mage or white mage.

That reminds me, we need a "best character of anything ever" thread

Mercen-X
03-09-2013, 04:57 PM
If you think about it you can incorporate any character into a game. Even Final Fantasy if you look past the aesthetics. Think flexiblity.What you're referring to is what 'job' should one be. It's not a matter of what one you'd like to see all the time, but maybe what job is correct for someone real/imagined.

In final fantasy or any fiction/non-fiction there are plenty of characters of any kind in combat/non-combat rolls or both. Cid is a great example.Maybe some of these characters shouldn't see combat at all (i.e. wheelchair guy?), but are just always traveling with the party so they still play their role in the events just not the battles.

Freya
03-09-2013, 07:38 PM
I want to see more dragoons. Dragoons that are actually important and not just a side character.

Mercen-X
03-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Fire Dancer, Jin Everett - an escaped slave with a fiery temperment.
Stone: Topaz, Strongest attack: Fire Cross

Dark Mage, Gattis Sifa - a deposed prince seeking redemption.
Stone: Diamond, Strongest attack: Frostga

Sage, Dahva Hrama - an old advisor and witness of dire wrongs.
Stone: Amber, Strongest attack: Blitzga

Warrior, Dayton Guy - a war criminal set on proving his innocence.
Strongest attack: Bulldozer

Dragoon, Skargian Wodan - a rogue warlord turned mercenary.
Strongest attack: Harpoon

White Wizard, Krayt Xantier - a beloved king.
Stone: Pearl, Strongest attack: Divinity

Ninja, Lordes Kamesh - a noble warrior.
Strongest attack: Dodeca-Slash

Dark Mage, Dean Dyblaus - a psychotic traitor.
Stone: Onyx, Strongest attack: Singularity

----------

Ninja, Del Oz'Ra - a murderous fugitive.
Strongest attack: Twin Cross-Slash

Monk, Clem Shempt - a gullible servant.
Strongest attack: Clay More

Dark Wizard, Dirk Hase - a despised ruler.
Stone: Obsidian, Strongest attack: Darkness

Warrior, Regis "Rex" Draco - a troubled monarch.
Strongest attack: Mirror Sword

Songstress, Sarn Sifka - an alluring lady.
Strongest attack: Enrapture

Berserker, Mitaros Trion - an unstoppable barbarian.
Strongest attack: Rampage

Engineer, Arkov Legend - the "Deus ex Machina".
Strongest attack: Arc Impulse

Samurai, Bo Yoji - the wandering bounty hunter.
Strongest attack: Slash Hidden in the Wind

Dark Magess, Kyne Magestris - the strongest mage.
Stone: Aquamarine, Strongest attack: Floodga

Dark Magess, Xant Magestris - the wisest mage.
Stone: Ruby, Strongest attack: Flamega

Dark Magess, Mrin Magestris - the quickest mage.
Stone: Garnet, Strongest attacks: Typhoga

White Wizard, Circi Hartmaw - a beloved queen.
Strongest attack: Supremacy

Dark Wizard, Warsheen Robicanth - Jin's former owner; fiery.
Strongest attack: Pyroclasm

Summoner, Alfric Zian - wheelchair-bound summoner.
Strongest attack: Warring Legions

Beast, Smi Momba - a cute but crazy animal.
Strongest attack: Frenzy

Mercen-X
06-14-2013, 09:39 PM
I would also like to see previous heroes as Summons. Just some ideas:
Luxfrix the Warrior of Light, Fironel the First Rebel, Gralich the Onion Knight, Cecilus the Redeemer, Barotus the Wanderer, Taira the Hybrid, Kuroudo the Soldier, Skawll the Legacy, Zeidan the Living Shell, Sol, A Dream in Reality, Va An the Red Wing

VeloZer0
06-14-2013, 11:16 PM
That is actually a really cool idea. As part of an epic Knights of the Round summon perhaps?

Mahad
06-17-2013, 10:32 PM
What I have always wanted to see in an FF game is a cast of characters where at least the main character or the whole main cast isn't composed of all teenagers or kids. Also, more non human main characters. I don't know about FF7, 8 or 9, and excluding online titles, I think the only games with non-human main characters or main cast characters were FF10 with that blue guy, and FF12 with Fran. I want more diverse, creative parties.

Hollycat
06-17-2013, 10:45 PM
More bards: Not like Gilbert. Like Shakespeare.

Someone funny and upbeat without being annoying. (I do not think S-E's writers are capable of accomplishing this)

Zack Fair

Mercen-X
08-05-2013, 09:58 PM
The main protagonist should be a bard, black, or Cid.
That is actually a really cool idea. As part of an epic Knights of the Round summon perhaps?

I guess that would work if that was the only way Square would be willing to do it. But I'd like to see them as separate summons. Matter of fact, I love to see these characters drawn as summons.

Mercen-X
08-08-2013, 02:23 AM
A badass black princess* (one-armed, middle-aged "cyclops" and strongest member of the group) recently divorced from the rather homely paladin prince* whose handicapped yet handsy twin brother is gay for the default protagonist (a poetic dragoon who later leaves the party to die but seems apologetic).

* when a prince and princess are wed they become King and Queen, but this usually only applies if they can acquire their own land or if they can succeed their parents. In this case, however, this can be bypassed through their choice to elope leading to them not being accepted as a King and Queen.

The "protagonist" traitor later returns to the party much to the relief of the magical berserker (as a child, killed her mother by accident) who relies on his presence to keep her emotionally stable. Her 80-year-old father teaches various magic skills. The berserker is taken by the enemy for nefarious purposes and is killed when the party comes to rescue her. Her father subsequently loses his grip on sanity and begins to act and dress like her dead mother.

Shorty
08-08-2013, 02:25 AM
A badass black princess* (one-armed, middle-aged "cyclops" and strongest member of the group)

I fucking love this.

Elskidor
11-03-2013, 06:57 AM
A old as shit lead homosexual Dwarf with two heads, a big ole' 500 lb belly, one leg, one arm, and is nearly blind and deaf. One head is male and the other is female, and throughout the day his/her ethnicity changes at random. Half way through the game his/her gluttony get so bad he/she eats one of the party members. Mid game tragedy right there. This death will impact half the hero in a good way and lead him/her to begin a 12 step program for food addiction, while the other half begins a path of evil and may end up being the main bad guy in the end. The rest of the party members will consist of one cast member of previous Final Fantasy titles that were summoned to help this Dwarf hero on his/her journey to do....whatever the hell it's doing.

Cosmiccandy
11-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I would like to see a well written character.

Yah, that's it.

Mirage
11-06-2013, 04:24 PM
A lot more late 20s/early 30s than teenagers. Zash was a good start, but there needs to be more of them, preferrably as a lead character.

I also agree with the point about characters having real families, not just some sort of half-family where they show like a single sibling or just one parent.

The Namco-rule about no females above the age of 35 also needs to go.