PDA

View Full Version : Why can't you learn "!Kick"?

*Laurelindo*
02-08-2013, 01:25 PM
This has always annoyed me a little bit.
Instead of adding those unnecessary HP+x% Abilities they could have added !Kick instead.
I know it isn't *that* useful but it just seems... inconsistent that it is the only Ability that cannot be learned at all.

I mean, they could still have one or two HP+x% Abilities, just not all three of them, it seems like they are just there to pad out the time necessary to master the Job.

Yar
02-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I think it is because of how the kick command works. A monk will always be bare handed in this game.

Kick does damage based on your attack when bare handed. It wouldn't make sense to calculate, say, a sword's damage rate into a kick :p

Barehanded damage is only useful on a Monk. It can be useful on other jobs, but you have to equip the barehanded ability for it to be useful.

You can only equip one ability at a time when using a job.

Therefore, the kick command would only be useful if you were a monk or freelancer. But the beauty of the job system is that it is designed around combining abilities with other jobs. It's less about combining jobs with the freelancer.

Plus adding a kick command would require another level for the monk.

This is all speculative of course, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

Mirage
02-08-2013, 09:52 PM
What are you talking about? Unlocking abilities for use with Freelancer is what the game is about :p

Gamblet
02-09-2013, 12:32 AM
What are you talking about? Unlocking abilities for use with Freelancer is what the game is about :p

Well, you can play the game either way.

Mirage
02-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Well, the way I see it, not using the superpowered freelancer is kind of in the "self-imposed challenge" category :p.

Yar
02-09-2013, 03:34 AM
I would disagree. It's only a smaller part of the game.

Do you remember the job system tutorial with Boco? He goes on about how you can Knights that use white magic or Black mages that jump or whatever. This game was more about combining specialized jobs. The freelancer job only becomes useful in the endgame, after you've been playing with the other jobs.

Gamblet
02-09-2013, 11:15 AM
He goes on about how you can Knights that use white magic or Black mages that jump or whatever.

He said that Black Mages can use !Lance command to get mana from enemies. :cool:

*Laurelindo*
02-09-2013, 01:27 PM
He goes on about how you can Knights that use white magic or Black mages that jump or whatever.

He said that Black Mages can use !Lance command to get mana from enemies. :cool:I think he said both things. :p

Gamblet
02-09-2013, 02:47 PM

He said that Black Mages can use !Lance command to get mana from enemies. :cool:I think he said both things. :p

Well, I corrected the last part.

*Laurelindo*
02-09-2013, 09:34 PM
I think it is because of how the kick command works. A monk will always be bare handed in this game.

Kick does damage based on your attack when bare handed. It wouldn't make sense to calculate, say, a sword's damage rate into a kick :p

Barehanded damage is only useful on a Monk. It can be useful on other jobs, but you have to equip the barehanded ability for it to be useful.

You can only equip one ability at a time when using a job.

Therefore, the kick command would only be useful if you were a monk or freelancer. But the beauty of the job system is that it is designed around combining abilities with other jobs. It's less about combining jobs with the freelancer.

Plus adding a kick command would require another level for the monk.

This is all speculative of course, but I think it makes a lot of sense.I can understand that, but does !Kick necessarily have to rely on barehanded attacks?
It shouldn't be any problem to have it rely on the Strength stat instead, and this would sort of make sense as well.
Plus it would've been so cool to see a Black Mage use !Kick - see the mage flying, possibly with anger in his eyes as well. :D

I know this isn't really something that we can change ourselves, but it's quite fun to discuss it regardless.