PDA

View Full Version : Negative is the New Positive

Loony BoB
02-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Recently someone said they think I have a negative outlook because I said that disappointment is not a bad thing - I see disappointment as the start of all positive changes. I found it interesting that they had such a negative view of my positive view of a negative thing. So, with all that said and done... do you see disappointment as a bad thing? Where do you think the world would be if nobody ever expressed their disappointement?

Shorty
02-08-2013, 05:09 PM
It would be a much happier place and things would still get done by driven, positive people.

I disagree with you that it's always the start of positive changes. Plenty of things can already be positive and you can still improve them without being disappointed in them, just reaching for a higher standard because you know you can do better. Certainly it can be the start of some changes, but I think that the attitude of always being disappointed would be unhealthy because disappointment is, as your title puts it, negative.

Many times I make changes because I need a new change of scenery or I just want something to just be different.

Loony BoB
02-08-2013, 05:24 PM
How do you know it would be a happy place? Racism could go on and nobody would complain, for example.

Many times I make changes because I need a new change of scenery or I just want something to just be different.
Disappointed at things staying the same? ;)

Perhaps "all positive changes" was a bit poorly worded - "most positive changes" might be better. Certainly the more notable ones! For example, racism, sexism, homophobia... if people didn't complain about these things, if they weren't disappointed in the way things were, then the changes would never have come about. Basically, when someone is disappointed or complains, I don't see it as a terrible thing because I try to keep it in my head that this is that they are just wanting a positive change, and positive change isn't a bad thing to want.

TrollHunter
02-08-2013, 05:29 PM
What an interesting way to look at disappointment
Never thought of it like that...

Shorty
02-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Maybe we're looking at disappointment as two different things. To you, it might mean temporary dissatisfaction with something that you know you can change. I suppose I put more of an emotional tie with it and feeeeeelings.

Clo
02-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Disappointment is a norm. Opinions on it are irrelevant, because no matter what you think, you will be disappointed!

Shiny
02-08-2013, 08:47 PM
I often avoid disappointment by not expecting anything so my outlook is neutral. Basically I see that there is a glass there with something in it. It's not half full or half empty. Most really great opportunities came to me when I wasn't expecting them.

Rantz
02-09-2013, 09:13 AM
I think your argument is strange. Disappointment may inspire change, but the want for change comes from the inherently negative nature of the disappointment. Saying that disappointment is not so bad because it makes people want to change something is like saying the murder of Emmett Till wasn't so bad because it inspired such great civil rights improvements. Positive change is good, but I don't agree that it necessarily reflects upon its inspiration. Disappointment can have good effects or bad effects or no effects at all, but whatever it does or does not inspire does not change the nature of disappointment itself as an inherently negative feeling.

As for whether looking positively on negative things is a positive or negative outlook - that's just word bending. It is what it is.