PDA

View Full Version : Sadness after Character Deaths

Formalhaut
02-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Just now, I watched an episode of forensic crime series Silent Witness. In it, one of the three main characters, Leo Dalton dies.

I am now grief-stricken. I really, really dislike it when a main character dies because it just really makes me depressed and sad. In a soap drama, Eastenders, one of my favourite characters left for good. While not as sad, it still was sad; if that makes sense.

I always get slightly fearful when it comes to the series finale of programmes because the chance of main character death quadruples, damn, I really hate changes!

Leave me now while I go and mourn his death. But while I'm doing that, do you have the same affliction as I do, or do you love it when characters die? What experiences do you have with deaths in T.V?

One of the reasons why I couldn't stand Lost was A) the plot is confusing and B) They seem to kill off characters left, right and centre.

charliepanayi
02-08-2013, 10:44 PM
With the thread title being what it is that spoiler alert seems a bit pointless considering you mention the character's name! I always thought one of the best things about Lost was their willingness to kill people off. It can be infuriating to see a favoured character killed off, but if it's something that works well within the plot I can accept it.

Nate's death in Six Feet Under was very sad :( - and though it's a film, let's not get started about Wash in Serenity!

Jowy
02-08-2013, 11:40 PM
YOU SHALL NOT PASS

i never read the books so i was completely heartbroken when that happened!

Shorty
02-09-2013, 12:41 AM
Wash in Serenity!

broke my heart ;________________________;

Forsaken Lover
02-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Nuriko in Fushigi Yuugi

Pheesh
02-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Chris in Skins. Y_Y

I'll think of more no doubt.

Pike
Wash in Serenity!

This is why I don't like that movie.

Rocket Edge
I was on a plane home from holidays reading HP and the Half Blood Prince when Dumbledore died. I was so upset at the time. :aimsad:

Pheesh
02-09-2013, 01:04 AM
I was on a plane home from holidays reading HP and the Half Blood Prince when Dumbledore died. I was so upset at the time. :aimsad:

There are still tear stains on my copy of the book. :(

Jinx
02-09-2013, 02:34 AM

There are still tear stains on my copy of the book. :(

I honestly wasn't sad at all.

My soul has probably been split so many times I'm beyond human feeling.

Forsaken Lover
02-09-2013, 05:01 AM
Saddest death in HP is Dobby's

Mirage
02-09-2013, 05:05 AM
That I can agree with.

Anyway, I don't think any movie death has upset me more than Simba's dad.

Kossage
02-09-2013, 01:53 PM
The death that moved me the most was the death of Littlefoot's mom in The Land Before Time. Not only is the death shot well but the aftermath and the music...it's all so gorgeous and heartbreaking. That's why even the death of Mufasa never quite had the same punch because I'd already been traumatized beforehand. :(

Bubba
02-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Setsuko in Grave of the Fireflies. Even though you knew it was coming I cried for a long time.

Araciel
02-10-2013, 05:56 AM
Wash in Serenity!

This is why I don't like that movie.

He was a leaf on the motherfucking wind :(

Lonely Paper Star
02-13-2013, 06:06 AM
The Red Wedding in the A Song of Ice and Fire series was the most traumatic literature experience of my life.

Night Fury
02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Oh God.
My new Av and Sig set break my heart because of 'You're Welcome' I blub like an idiot every time... EVERY TIME.

Also, Steven Bartowski in Chuck. So sad.

To be honest, I get pretty devastated at any character deaths in TV shows I love. OH GOOD GOD SUN AND JIN.

/me runs off weeping

CimminyCricket
02-13-2013, 03:52 PM
The death of a certain Slytherin in HP made me very, very sad.

Forsaken Lover
02-13-2013, 05:42 PM
I just remembered another death that really got to me. Anyone here seen Interview with the Vampire? (The film is one of the best book-to-movie adaptions I've ever seen)
I felt so bad for Claudia. She was a little monster yes but it wasn't her fault. And then there was the fact her death broke poor, poor Louis even more.

MJN SEIFER
02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
The death that moved me the most was the death of Littlefoot's mom in The Land Before Time. Not only is the death shot well but the aftermath and the music...it's all so gorgeous and heartbreaking. Same here. The scene a little later, where he thinks he sees her, but it's just a shadow always gets to me...

Del Murder
02-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Lost used to do this so damn much. In particular, Charlie and Jin/Sun :(.

The saddest HP death to me wasn't Dumbledore but Fred Weasly.

A mention goes to Angel and Doyle :(.

The ultimate though, as has been mentioned, is Mustafa. Damn that was a sad scene.

Jinx
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Lost used to do this so damn much. In particular, Charlie and Jin/Sun :(.

The saddest HP death to me wasn't Dumbledore but Fred Weasly.

A mention goes to Angel and Doyle :(.

The ultimate though, as has been mentioned, is Mustafa. Damn that was a sad scene.

who the fuck is Mustafa?

Loony BoB
02-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Oh man. I could go on for ages. :(

Ned Stark
Mufasa
Littlefoot's Mum
Charlie, Jin, Sun, Mr. Eko
Sam
Samantha
George
John Coffey
Irwin Wade
Leslie Burke
Ellie
Wildlife
a bear cub stranded on a rock in the middle of a whitewater river, and they just filmed it get killed while the mum looked on helplessly and :Lidgas;dhiga;hdgiah my little kiddie self couldn't handle it :(

Araciel
02-20-2013, 05:20 PM
who the smurf is Mustafa?

Formalhaut
02-20-2013, 06:18 PM
I stopped watching Lost, purely because the cast started dropping like flies.

Jin and Sun! NO! How could they do that!

Del Murder
02-21-2013, 02:04 AM
who the fuck is Mustafa?

Hahaha, I meant Mufasa. Sorry I was really ill that day. Also I was probably referring to this guy:

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/69/777b3f545783a5ddced098bd9e77d5b5/l.jpg

Mercen-X
02-21-2013, 03:13 AM
I don't think I've ever cared. On television series, I root for characters to die as typically this is the only way to infuse some consistent alteration to character behavior. Of course, no one's behavior changed after Bleeding Gums Murphy died (Simpsons) or Chef (South Park) but those are animated sitcoms.

CimminyCricket
02-21-2013, 03:14 AM
Legion. :C

MJN SEIFER
02-21-2013, 03:23 PM
I don't think I've ever cared. On television series, I root for characters to die as typically this is the only way to infuse some consistent alteration to character behavior. Of course, no one's behavior changed after Bleeding Gums Murphy died (Simpsons) or Chef (South Park) but those are animated sitcoms. I don't know about Bleeding Gums (although a special episode admitted he wasn't the most poplular character), but Chef died because of a dispute between the actor and the writers, so the character was never going to be mourned on screen too much, especially on a show like South Park.

Sephiroth
02-21-2013, 04:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4-c6vXot5Y

Forsaken Lover
03-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Been re-watching a couple old anime favorites and goddamn.

First, the lesser well known incident that I recall making me tear up something dreadful, was the death of Aoshi's Oniwaban in Rurouni Kenshin. They all gave their lives to try and protect their Leader but it was in vain.

A more well-known heart crusher is this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfI368VgU6c

hAKUUUUUUU. *wails*