PDA

View Full Version : Education

Aulayna
02-09-2013, 01:37 AM
I've noticed that these days more and more forum goers tend to have degrees or are in higher education of some kind. So I figured this would make an interesting topic.

Did you stop as soon as your compulsory education finished?

If you carried on - how long did you stay on for? What qualifications did you end up with?

If you're still in the education system right now how far do you plan on going?

qwertysaur
02-09-2013, 02:03 AM
I'm going all the way. PhD for me. :p

Bunny
02-09-2013, 02:09 AM
I am almost finished with my Bachelor's degree. I'm going for a teaching certification so I can brainwash kids with my liberal agenda.

Jinx
02-09-2013, 02:32 AM
Probably Bachelor's. At the rate I'm going, it will be 2020 before I get it.

I really wish I was joking.

Ouch!
02-09-2013, 02:40 AM
I completed my bachelors. I'm currently working, although depending on how my career progresses, pursuing a masters (either in English or Business Administration) in the future is likely.

Raistlin
02-09-2013, 05:40 AM
I continued my education for 7 years after high school, through college and law school. I ended up with a couple of BAs and a J.D. I ended up being qualified to practice law in Maryland and put "Esq." after my name.

Which kind of confuses me actually. As a J.D. holder, I'm technically a "doctor" as much as some PhD holders, though I don't consider myself one. But regardless, no lawyers ever actually go by "Dr." because it's pretentious (or so I was told). But we put "Esq." after our names? That seems even more ridiculous to me.

Tigmafuzz
02-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Education is never finished.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-09-2013, 06:43 AM
As far as formal education is concerned, I have one B.A. in Religious Studies, minor in East Asian Cultural Studies. Currently working on a second B.A. in Philosophy, looking to do an honours (for those of you whose university systems differ from Canadians' the difference between a major and an honours is that an major is usually 36 credits and an honours is 60 with a CGPA requirement). After that going to apply for my M.A. within the field of philosophy and/or religious studies, quite possibly philosophy of religion. We will see. Then a Ph.D. SHOULD BE FUN. :p

Shlup
02-09-2013, 07:28 AM
I got two BA's and a teaching credential. I'm currently making use of none of that.

Pike
02-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I got a Bachelor's and I regret it every day.

Shauna
02-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Got myself a BSc (Hons), which took 4 years after all my high schoolin'. I once thought I would continue on with education and maybe get a MSc or a PhD, but as I found myself finishing my degree... I just couldn't be bothered anymore. I wanted to do something else with my life. :3

Maybe in a few years time, I'll go back and buff my education. Or maybe not. Who can say?

Faris
02-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Went to college. Got two advanced business diplomas one in accounting the other in marketing. Did it in 3.5 years instead of 4.5 :cool:

I'm thinking of going back because I don't like where I'm at. Hopefully I can specify an industry to work within with a B.S

escobert
02-09-2013, 01:17 PM
I got into college but decided after the first semester I had enough of homework :p

Clo
02-09-2013, 02:06 PM
I have a BA and a teacher certification, currently seeking out a master's that isn't a bulltrout waste of time and I haven't been having any luck because apparently all graduate school seems to be is a waste of smurfing time.

Rantz
02-09-2013, 02:40 PM
I completed my bachelors. I'm currently working, although depending on how my career progresses, pursuing a masters (either in <del>English or Business Administration</del> <ins>Interaction Design</ins>) in the future is <del>likely</del> <ins>possible</ins>.

Xannidel
02-09-2013, 03:26 PM
I am still working on my Psychology degree. I do not know if I want to go for a PhD or just my masters. I am a little late however because I originally went for a computer science degree; however, I soon realized I was not cut out to do that nonsense and so my GPA took a nose dive. I moved to a new city and changed schools and changed my major and I have had nothing but fun in my classes which shows me that I made the right choice.
Assume that psychology turned out to be as bad as computer science, I would not give up until I found something I would enjoy because in this day and age you need a degree to survive and I will not end up homeless as I have seen in the city that I live in now.

Shorty
02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm a high school dropout and I don't regret it at all.

There may be a time when I decide to go to college in the next few years, but I ask myself if I truly need a degree or if I just want to have one because so many other people have one. I think it might be smart for me to get atleast a BA in Business Something, though, when the time comes but if I could get away with running my own business without it, I'd prefer to go that route.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I have one semester left of my bachelor's degree. Assuming all goes well, I will be certified to teach high school English. I do kind of want to get my PhD eventually.

Shiny
02-09-2013, 07:20 PM
I got a bachelor's degree in film/video production and specialized in visual and sound editing. I am now working as an editor, but depending on how my money and my job situation is looking, I might go to NYU or USC for their producing program to get a certificate in that. I still continue to learn every day since technology is always changing.

Night Fury
02-09-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm almost finished my Bachelors and I wish I hadn't fucking bothered with it.

NorthernChaosGod
02-09-2013, 10:12 PM
At the rate I'm getting classes I need, my BSc will take like six years.

Agent Proto
02-09-2013, 10:45 PM
At least I have a high school diploma. Not that it means much. I however, dropped out of college because I wasn't taking it as seriously as I should have been. Plus, it didn't help that I went in with no idea where I was going for the first couple years. :(

Araciel
02-10-2013, 05:43 AM
Dropped out of HS twice because I was working full-time. Graduated just before turning 20.

Through work I took a few business courses and am now a certified businessman.

Futan
02-10-2013, 06:22 AM
Dropped out of college. Regret that only because I could've gotten an Associate's for free. My mommy worked at a hospital owned by Temple and that was one of her benefits. A year later, went to a trade school for 'Computer Networking'.

Formalhaut
02-10-2013, 01:14 PM
but I ask myself if I truly need a degree or if I just want to have one because so many other people have one.

I think as a society, we tend to subconsciously turn up our noses at people who don't have one. In my opinion, some people really don't need a degree or something. Obviously, some careers essentially need it but if you don't need one, why should you? What, because a few people have a ego problem? A degree doesn't mean your any brighter or dimmer than a fellow person without a degree.

But I digress. Me? I'm still doing my A-Levels, currently studying A2 Sociology, A2 English Literature, A2 Forensic Science and my AS Biology. In my final third year, I'll probably do my A2 Biology, an AS Government & Politics and Extended Project.

After that, I shall go into a BSc Forensic Science course, to go into forensics. Who knows if I get there.

Aulayna
02-10-2013, 01:51 PM
I pretty much walked the beaten path.

GCSEs finished at 16 (well having an August birthday I was still 15 at the time), AS/A2s for 2 years then did a BA (hons) in Media & Psychology and did dabble a bit in the Sociology side of it too but it's not officially in my degree title. :P

Then I worked in TV for a couple of years before ultimately ending up at the games company I've been at for the past 5 years.

Part of me is considering going back to University for a purely skills based practical course to flesh out those skills some more as the degree I did was very heavy on the theory side and not so much on the production side which has made it hard for me to find jobs I'd want to do.

Yar
02-10-2013, 02:46 PM
I am almost done with my bachelors. I'm currently in my fourth year.

When I started, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I had always had an interest in language so I decided to see where it could take me.

Currently, I am in my fifth month of studying abroad in Japan, and it was the best decision I have ever made. My Japanese gets better everyday, and I am already trying to get into graduate schools. After graduating, I am hoping to get into a masters program for teaching English. After that, my plan is to enter a linguistics doctorate program so that I can become a professor and subject young people to my nerdliness. :bigsmile:

My one big passion in life is language. I can spend a whole day alone just reading about it. I think it is the most fascinating piece of human biology.

Formalhaut
02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Currently, I am in my fifth month of studying abroad in Japan, and it was the best decision I have ever made. My Japanese gets better everyday, and I am already trying to get into graduate schools. After graduating, I am hoping to get into a masters program for teaching English. After that, my plan is to enter a linguistics doctorate program so that I can become a professor and subject young people to my nerdliness. :bigsmile:

That's admirable! My older brother has been in Japan for many years now and has a very good level of the language. He's currently a high school teacher teaching English as a foreign language to students. He loves it, and the culture!

Yar
02-10-2013, 03:25 PM
That's admirable! My older brother has been in Japan for many years now and has a very good level of the language. He's currently a high school teacher teaching English as a foreign language to students. He loves it, and the culture!That's awesome!

I've thought about doing that. If I decide to not go to grad school immediately after graduation, I could easily find a job here for 3-5 years. But I don't want to teach English for the rest of my life... My passion lies in how language works and how it interacts with our minds. Really geeky stuff haha.

But I love Japan! Even if I wasn't an English teacher, I wouldn't mind being an English professor or linguistics professor here. I have started to build an identity here, and I really love my friends to death.

Denmark
02-10-2013, 04:25 PM
i am a MASTER of science yo

Clo
02-10-2013, 04:31 PM
I got my education on da streetz

Madame Adequate
02-10-2013, 04:55 PM
I've got a BA in International Relations and Politics, which was awesome to get and I would do again in a heartbeat. Then I got a Master's in Strategic Studies, and whilst I appreciate the education side of it, it was a pretty awful time. Only good thing was spending the year with Rye, everything else pretty much sucked, and I ended up going crazy.

I want to do a PhD one day though!

Heath
02-10-2013, 05:15 PM
GCSEs, International Baccalaureate (yeah, I'm one of them), followed by BA (Hons) History and Politics. Loved my degree and was gutted to finish. Would've done an MA and PhD in a heartbeat had I had the money. Currently on a reasonably prestigious graduate scheme which pays well, but toying with the idea of an Open University degree or looking at a Masters afterwards. Would like another shot at Oxbridge.

Jinx
02-10-2013, 09:09 PM
My brother, Viserys, hired a private tutor, Dorreah, to further my education.

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Went to trade school for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) and just got all my certifications last week.

Laddy
02-11-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm working on my Bachelor's for Journalism, specifically advertising.

I want to become an ad exec or maybe go into law.

IRL I'm a bit of a yuppie.