PDA

View Full Version : We are completely snowed in here in the Northeast.

Goldenboko
02-09-2013, 03:49 PM
My parents own a snowplowing company. They can't get the trucks out to plow. It's the snowpocolypes.

Formalhaut
02-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Must be quite cosy indoors then :love:

Xannidel
02-09-2013, 03:52 PM
You guys have my condolences, hope you guys won't lose power.

Pike
02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Only got a light dusting here in Montana. Makes a nice change of pace.

Sephex
02-09-2013, 04:18 PM
I like in the southern suburbs of Chicago where we get all sorts of different weather from year to year. We'll occasionally get a huge snow storm that stops EVERYTHING for the most part. Just two years ago, we got a nasty one that stranded drivers on Lake Shore Drive (the city really should have closed it down, the whole area knew well ahead of time that the snow storm was coming).

Anyway, this year has been light on snow for my area, and I get irritated at people who constantly wish for even a decent snowfall. I don't get it. The city has TERRIBLE traffic, and some suburban areas have awful road design too, in my opinion. I can't fathom how anyone likes the idea of greatly increasing the chances of an accident and having a 10 minute drive take something around 40 minutes or more.

I won't lie, though. If you already reached your destination and have nowhere to go, or if you don't drive, a snow storm does offer a unique cozy feeling.

Bunny
02-09-2013, 04:34 PM
CHECKMATE GLOBAL WARMING.

Shorty
02-09-2013, 05:09 PM

Faris
02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Pft, still went to work.

Futan
02-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Got like 3-5 inches I think.

Denmark
02-09-2013, 07:50 PM
my parents were supposed to fly out of hartford, ct today. they rescheduled.

we only got like 8 inches here, and it's all cleared out now. dry and fluffy, easy to move.

Citizen Bleys
02-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Heh. I figured the meteorological doomsayers would be wrong as usual but people would call in to skip work anyways today, so I scheduled myself for OT figuring I would be needed.

I had to renege. Not even I can walk through 6km of this shit.

Jowy
02-09-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm watching the Penguins/Devils game right now and during every intermission they pan the camera outside to someone in Jersey begrudgingly shoveling snow. Stay holed up inside with a nice hot beverage and relax.

Agent Proto
02-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Did you know that TWC gave this blizzard a name? Yep, it's been named "Nemo". You can thank them later.

escobert
02-09-2013, 09:05 PM
we got about 18 inches. usual winter storm imo.

NorthernChaosGod
02-09-2013, 09:48 PM
It rained last night here.

qwertysaur
02-10-2013, 02:51 AM
Watchimg my cat play in the snow was cute. :bigsmile:

Pumpkin
02-10-2013, 03:53 AM

we only got like 8 inches here, and it's all cleared out now. dry and fluffy, easy to move.

How wrong is it that I can't read this without giggling.

There is no snow here. Ever. :(

Apparently it snows a few centimeters here sometimes, but I have yet to see this.

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-10-2013, 04:04 AM
Got about a foot here. Had to miss work this morning because my parking lot wasn't plowed yet.

Mirage
02-10-2013, 09:50 AM

You would not believe how jelly I am.

Slothy
02-10-2013, 05:30 PM

I might be jealous if I had a clue what those temperatures meant or the desire to convert them to a real system of temperature measurement.

Went outside this morning to see how much snow was on the deck and driveway since it was blowing all over yesterday and we got some snow in the late afternoon/early evening. Found maybe a centimeter. I literally just pushed the thin lair of snow off the deck with a shovel one handed and went back inside less than a minute after I went out.

Futan
02-10-2013, 05:42 PM
59F is like 15-ishC

Mirage
02-10-2013, 09:18 PM

I might be jealous if I had a clue what those temperatures meant or the desire to convert them to a real system of temperature measurement.

Went outside this morning to see how much snow was on the deck and driveway since it was blowing all over yesterday and we got some snow in the late afternoon/early evening. Found maybe a centimeter. I literally just pushed the thin lair of snow off the deck with a shovel one handed and went back inside less than a minute after I went out.

Just google calculate them or something. An easy way to approximate it is that the human body holds roughly 100F and -40F is approximately -40C, and both scales are linear. I don't use fahrenheit myself but it's not all that hard to deal with if you remember this.

In either case, 50F is around 10 C. It's not extremely warm, but I would kill for that sort of temperatures in winter over here.

escobert
02-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Saw this today and lol'd

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/792203_10100264339807775_1019043847_o.jpg

the caption said "well done Vermont, well done."

fire_of_avalon
02-10-2013, 11:03 PM

How wrong is it that I can't read this without giggling.

There is no snow here. Ever. :(

Apparently it snows a few centimeters here sometimes, but I have yet to see this.
And I live 2 hours north of you and still have some snow piles from two weeks ago. :D

DMKA
02-10-2013, 11:51 PM
We just got done with a week of like an inch of snow on the ground and everyone was complaining the whole time. :p

I can't even fathom what three feet of snow is like. O__o

Pumpkin
02-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Megan: :stare:

Shlup
02-11-2013, 12:23 AM
I drove up the mountain to see the snow last weekend. There was almost enough to make a snowman! It was amazing!

Slothy
02-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Just google calculate them or something.

What part of don't have the desire to convert wasn't clear enough? :p

Seriously though, unless it's something obvious like -40 degrees I'm just lazy and don't bother. I shouldn't have to conform to the ass backwards behaviour of the one nation on the planet that actually matters that still hasn't converted to the semi-correct system of temperature measurement. I say semi-correct because while it is more useful for everyday life, I'd like it if we could all switch to kelvin instead.

Raistlin
02-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Kelvin really is the only rational system of temperature measurement. The rest are pretty arbitrary.

Anyway, we've gotten a decent amount of snow for this area: two "storms" of about 2-3 inches each. Enough to shut down public schools in for a day or two, because everyone's a wuss and freaks out about any snow. As someone who grew up in Colorado (where we did not have snow days; we only had ice days), the panic still amuses me.

Slothy
02-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Kelvin really is the only rational system of temperature measurement. The rest are pretty arbitrary.

Celsius is fairly rational as well though. Sure it's rational in the scientific sense. Obviously absolute zero should be zero degrees. But it at least calibrates it's scale based on the freezing and boiling temperatures of water. Which being essential to life and all that, as well as pretty useful to everyday life is at least something that makes sense. Fahrenheit is just a big bag of I have no fucking clue what they were thinking though.

I never really understand people freaking out about a few inches of snow. I was out around 10:30 am yesterday after some snow had fallen during the night and high winds blew a lot more around. The plows hadn't really gotten most streets and there was no one on the road and a lot of stores either opened late or stayed closed because people didn't come in. And you know what my one thought was when on the roads running errands? The roads are perfectly fine. The major roads had very little snow and even the ones that still had some snow cover weren't slippery at all if you weren't driving like an idiot.

I'm always secretly ashamed when I see half the city shut down over what amounts to basically nothing. People need to slap on their snow tires and grow a pair.

Loony BoB
02-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Yeah, Celsius is the logical temperature for measuring temperature when you're not dealing with science (ie, when you're dealing with "how hot is this?").

I wish it would snow enough for me to not be able to go to work. We should be so lucky. :( Only happened on one day of almost eleven years I've been in the UK. Sucks.

qwertysaur
02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Fahrenheit based his scale where 0 is the freezing point of sea water, and there are 180 degrees between the freezing and boiling points of water, because there are 360 degrees in a circle.

Loony BoB
02-11-2013, 01:01 PM
I assume he navigated the polar regions on a regular basis...

Laddy
02-11-2013, 06:28 PM
I almost had to put a jacket on today. :(

Bunny
02-11-2013, 06:35 PM
There was some worry that Colorado was going to get hit by both snow storm Nemo and Orko (Snow Storm Neko?) and that we were all be buried under a thousand feet of snow and Colorado would alone face another ice age.

It didn't happen and we got about two inches of snow over a three hour period.

TrollHunter
02-11-2013, 06:37 PM
It wont stop snowing... Theres barely any out but the pretentious flurries wont stop. And since theres no ice... colorado schools give zero trouts.
Screw you flurries for reminding me that the east coast is having all the fun

qwertysaur
02-11-2013, 08:07 PM
It wont stop snowing... Theres barely any out but the pretentious flurries wont stop. And since theres no ice... colorado schools give zero trouts.
Screw you flurries for reminding me that the east coast is having all the fun
We are used enough to snow that we don't panic. Just a delayed opening for schools so the roads can be cleared. :p

TrollHunter
02-12-2013, 12:14 AM
It's getting to the point where it's mostly just a nuisance. D: