PDA

View Full Version : Careless

Mercen-X
02-09-2013, 06:31 PM
The opposite of One More Turn (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/148564-one-more-turn.html)... basically, you played to finish and then didn't really play again... or you play it in a lackadaisical fashion, not really bothering to do anything (story missions or sidequests) other than mildly entertaining random crap.

For me: games like GTA, Dead Rising, Halo, Fable (auto-save renders OMT ineffectual), Chain of Memories, Dirge of Cerberus

Bolivar
02-09-2013, 06:56 PM
This is why I hate ordering my backlog, because you inevitably play a game solely for the sake of beating it.

The first F.E.A.R. was like that. I appreciated what it did for shooters at the time, but I really just wanted to finish the thing and get to the more fluid and varied F.E.A.R. 2.

I felt this way about Final Fantasy XIII, but after a while of reflection, I could see myself playing it again.

And most recently, Morrowind. I appreciate the setting and story, but strictly as a game it just wasn't any fun to play. It's not just things tied to graphics, either, like the clunky combat. It was a lot of intangibles, too, like dungeon design and quest progression. None of the quests had those "Random Epic Moments" that Oblivion had. It was always just talking to people or beating someone up.

Futan
02-09-2013, 07:10 PM
The original Assassin's Creed. Awful game I rushed through just to see the story with Desmond. D: I never finished FFXIII or Fable III. There's definitely more but I can't remember them off hand.

Mirage
02-10-2013, 09:53 AM
AC1, FF13.

Formalhaut
02-10-2013, 10:15 AM
The original Assassin's Creed. Awful game I rushed through just to see the story with Desmond. D: I never finished FFXIII or Fable III. There's definitely more but I can't remember them off hand.

What was so bad about AC1? it spawned many sequels didn't it?

Mirage
02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
The controls were just a bit wonky.

Pike
02-10-2013, 10:45 AM
basically, you played to finish and then didn't really play again

Most games I play actually. xD I'm not big into 100%'ing games. I've got too many other games to play to have time for that.

Most recently probably Oblivion because I just blitzed right through the main quest and called it good. The character design and general setting bugs me too much to do anything further. Someday I'll go back and do Shivering Isles.

Actually most of the RPGs I play fall under this category.

Madame Adequate
02-10-2013, 04:59 PM
It was a lot of intangibles, too, like dungeon design and quest progression. None of the quests had those "Random Epic Moments" that Oblivion had. It was always just talking to people or beating someone up.

The only quest in Oblivion that had anything remotely like that was the one to stop the Daedric Siege Engine. Everything else was exactly what you describe, it was just given by inbred idiots rather than living gods. The important moments in Morrowind come from discovery through exploration and reading though, not OMG EPIC FITE, so... :shobon:

Bolivar
02-10-2013, 07:37 PM
The only quest in Oblivion that had anything remotely like that was the one to stop the Daedric Siege Engine. Everything else was exactly what you describe, it was just given by inbred idiots rather than living gods.

I'm not so sure about that. In Bravil, I entered a mage's dreams to help him overcome his insecurities. I infiltrated the White Gold Tower through the sewers and Ayleid ruins underneath, then pretended I was Celia Camoran so the blind monks would give me an Elder Scroll. At the Imperial Waterfront, I went to sleep at the Bloated Float Inn only to awake and find it hijacked by bandits and stranded in the middle of the ocean.

I'm not saying quests like these aren't in Morrowind, but I didn't see any in my 44+ hours of playing it.

escobert
02-11-2013, 04:27 AM
either I love something or don't really care at all. so I don't bother playing games I don't love :p

TrollHunter
02-11-2013, 05:40 AM
Final Fantasy games and pokemon fall into this category.
Hell, I hardly ever finish a game of XII I start, and pokemon is just a time sink.
Purely apathetic for the both of them.

Loony BoB
02-11-2013, 11:32 AM
FFIX and FFXI. I mean, I could be much further into both games with how much time I spent on them, but I just can't/couldn't push myself to do it. Nothing kept a hold on me. Suikoden (the first one), too. I'm sure there are a bunch of others. Resistance 3 fits into this as well, Danielle and I keep listing it amongst our "games we could play" and never played it past the early stages.

Formalhaut
02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
I've yet to actually complete FFXII. :p

Aulayna
02-12-2013, 08:07 AM
LA Noire.

Smurfed up an interrogation. Hit restart, took me right back to the start of the investigation losing about 6 hours of gameplay.

Turned it off. Haven't touched it since.

Mirage
02-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Sounds like what I would do if that happened.

Del Murder
02-19-2013, 07:07 AM
FFXII. I got caught up in the mark hunts and since that sidequest is so expansive I just lost interest and forgot about the main story for about 2 years.

Mercen-X
02-19-2013, 07:15 PM
LA Noir.

Smurfed up an interrogation. Hit restart, took me right back to the start of the investigation losing about 6 hours of gameplay.

Turned it off. Haven't touched it since.

I've mentioned repeatedly this is basically what happened to me with FFT. The opening sequence was so long and slow that when I died in the first battle (having failed to save), I never touched the game again.