PDA

View Full Version : Changing The Main Character's Name

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-10-2013, 12:56 AM
How many of you change the main character's name in games that allow you the option to? How about the rest of the cast? Do you prefer to leave them their default, canon name, or do you like to personalize it?

Personally, I pretty much ALWAYS change the main character's name to my own name. I literally think the only game I didn't do this for is Super Mario RPG. Mario is just...Mario.

So how about you guys?

Futan
02-10-2013, 01:15 AM
Usually I change it to Futan but not always. The supporting cast is almost always left their defaults.

Pumpkin
02-10-2013, 01:17 AM
I think I just found out that DiagonalDownLeftA's real name is Mike.

To answer the question, if I am playing a game I will name the characters based off of people I know/knew that the character reminds me of. If I am playing a game that someone else will watch me play, I don't do it because I get embarrassed.

Pike
02-10-2013, 02:00 AM
Interesting question!

If the character has a default, canon name, I usually leave it at that. If the character doesn't and you have to come up with a name all on your own, then I go full-sperg and try to come up with a good setting- and lore- friendly name.

I think the one exception is Pokemon games where you can be a girl, in which case I name them after me.

Bolivar
02-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Very few exceptions where I actually do change the name - Dragon Quest, Pokemon, and Shining Force. Everything else I almost always leave default.

Agent Proto
02-10-2013, 03:16 AM
I usually leave the names alone during the first gameplay. Whenever I do replays, I usually end up renaming the character, usually after myself or to some random name I can come up with. :D

Bunny
02-10-2013, 03:19 AM
When given the option, I name the main character Butts. There is always one instance where it is hilarious.

Værn
02-10-2013, 04:30 AM
I attempted several times throughout the coarse of one game to change the main character's name to Adahn. It wouldn't work no matter how much I tried, for some reason :colbert:

On a related note, how often do you encounter an NPC with the same name that you gave to your main character?

Jinx
02-10-2013, 09:48 PM
A little bit of both.

On games like FFVII or FFIX where you can change all of the characters names, I do.

In FX I don't, because just one changed name would bug the hell out of me.

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-10-2013, 10:04 PM
I think I just found out that DiagonalDownLeftA's real name is Mike.

Yup! I still hate you for voting for Zell though!

A little bit of both.

On games like FFVII or FFIX where you can change all of the characters names, I do.

In FX I don't, because just one changed name would bug the hell out of me.

Don't look at any of my game saves then, lol

Pumpkin
02-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Oh please, it's not like my vote turned the tide or anything. And I acknowledged that Sabin is better, I just feel so bad for anyone who gets zero votes. It's sad.

Aulayna
02-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Interesting question!

If the character has a default, canon name, I usually leave it at that. If the character doesn't and you have to come up with a name all on your own, then I go full-sperg and try to come up with a good setting- and lore- friendly name.

I think the one exception is Pokemon games where you can be a girl, in which case I name them after me.

Pretty much this.

NeoCracker
02-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Same as Pike really.

Though there was a play of Skyrim where I named my guy "Percy 'The Hobo-lo' Jenkins". This made reading the diary of the guy from The Werewolf people funny as hell.

Citizen Bleys
02-11-2013, 01:19 AM
I'll usually apply mine own sobriquet to male main characters, and my real name to a female character for chuckles.

Pike
02-11-2013, 01:21 AM
Interesting question!

Pretty much this.

Same as Pike really.

Great minds think alike :aimsun:

Bolivar
02-11-2013, 04:35 AM
When given the option, I name the main character Butts. There is always one instance where it is hilarious.

!

Loony BoB
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
I almost always go with BoB, although there are some instances I don't. A good example would be FFIX, where I've known the names of the characters so long before actually playing the game that I couldn't bring myself to rename them.

Cloudane
02-11-2013, 12:06 PM
I've never changed the main character's name. To me that's the canon name and that's how it stays.

There are two exceptions with side characters:
- I tend to name Red XIII Nanaki because it just seems really silly that he knows his own name and doesn't give you it, and you can't change it when it's revealed
- And I often rename Dagger back to Garnet, because Dagger is a really retarded name. If I were to play it again maybe I'd name her Sapphire or something.

Psychotic
02-11-2013, 06:19 PM
I used to do it when I was a kid and having a character named after me was AWESOME but I don't anymore.

Laddy
02-11-2013, 06:20 PM
I give my characters really generic names if I've played through them before. In my latest playthrough of Persona 3 I named the protagonist Mark Jones. :colbert:

Pumpkin
02-11-2013, 06:30 PM
I am playing FFIX and I named Vivi after myself because Vivi = awesome and I don't even care if he's a boy. Also I'm going to name Quina after my boyfriend :love:.
and no not just for the wedding scene that I just now remembered >.>

Psychotic
02-11-2013, 06:38 PM
I am playing FFIX and I named Vivi after myself because Vivi = awesome and I don't even care if he's a boy. Also I'm going to name Quina after my boyfriend :love:.
and no not just for the wedding scene that I just now remembered >.>
It's because of the tongue, right? :quina:

Pumpkin
02-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Y... no <.<

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-11-2013, 06:42 PM
I used to do it when I was a kid and having a character named after me was AWESOME but I don't anymore.

I think that's why I'm so stuck on doing it, that's how I started too. I just haven't been able to drop the habit yet.

I've never changed the main character's name. To me that's the canon name and that's how it stays.

There are two exceptions with side characters:
- I tend to name Red XIII Nanaki because it just seems really silly that he knows his own name and doesn't give you it, and you can't change it when it's revealed
- And I often rename Dagger back to Garnet, because Dagger is a really retarded name. If I were to play it again maybe I'd name her Sapphire or something.

"Hey guys, my real name is Nanaki." "I know dude, you told us when we first met, don't you remember?"

lol, I do the same thing with Frog from Chrono Trigger though. I usually change his name to Glenn.

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2013, 06:49 PM
I usually do, though I leave all other nameable characters as their default. Normally I just use my name. Morrowind and Dark Souls are, I think, the only games that I have chosen unique names.

Del Murder
02-19-2013, 07:05 AM
I always change it to a nickname of myself. Like Del or T-Money.

Night Fury
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Tara Shepard is kicking total ass in the galaxy I tell ya!
Yeah, I usually change characters names and stuff - I would always rename my GF's in FFVIII too.

Bubba
02-19-2013, 01:39 PM
I always change the main character to Danny as I like to imagine myself being awesome. The rest of the characters I keep as they are. Like Cloudane though, I always change Red XIII to Nanaki.

I'll occasionally change Cait Sith to F***wit

qwertysaur
02-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Rename Steiner Rusty, and Vivi Puck for some funny early dialog. :bigsmile:

Denmark
02-19-2013, 08:12 PM
i have never played a zelda game with the character named "Link"

RPGs: at least on first playthrough i keep the names the same. if i'm feeling creative on a replay i'll theme them in some way (e.g. on a past ff6 playthrough i named everyone after futurama characters)

Mercen-X
02-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Till the End of Time (for when the dialogue is voiced): Vait, Glyph, Mureih, Merahj, Olbul, Raajir, Edjre, Bebideh