PDA

View Full Version : Games That Surprised You

Futan
02-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Bought Rage a while back during one of the Steam sales but am just now getting around to playing it. All the shit people talk on it, I was expecting something lame that I'd be rushing through. And while I've only put 2 hours into it so far, I've found it to be very enjoyable so far.

So what games have surprised you? Whether you were expecting something awful and ended up enjoying it or vice versa.

krissy
02-10-2013, 05:23 AM
i got the first zone of the enders in a pack of games while buying something else. i wasn't interested at all. but it was great and i loved the story and had to get the 2nd runner right after

Quindiana Jones
02-10-2013, 05:29 AM
Spec Op: The Line. With a name like that and a setting like that, I thought it was going to be another bang bang wankerfest. I only bought it because the gameplay looked like fun. It actually wasn't that great, but the game has one of the best stories in recent gaming. Jesus Christ, man. If you haven't played this game, I very strongly recommend it.

Morrowind is worth a shout too. I went in expecting it to be a good game, but that I'd have a little difficulty with the clunkiness. It's so much better than I thought it would be. I remember trying it on the Xbox and thinking it was shit, but the PC makes it much easier to swallow.

Araciel
02-10-2013, 05:54 AM
Borderlands

Rented then bought the day I returned it.

Pike
02-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Back when WoW was still young everyone told me how great it was and that I had to try it. I went in a little dubious but then I played it for like three years and I became a ~WoW blogger~ and such

Wolf Kanno
02-14-2013, 08:56 PM
I guess I'll be the first to say Assassin's Creed 2, the first game had a great premise and featured an intriguing cliffhanger ending. Yet the game was marred with bad and repetitive design, so I wasn't sure how I was going to stomach the sequel my friends insisted I play and well hot damn if it was absolutely better in every category and actually made good on the promises of the idea. Its still my favorite new IP from this generation.

Threads of Fate and Evil Zone are two other games I ended up greatly enjoying despite not thinking much of either when I saw screenshots and read descriptions.

Loony BoB
02-15-2013, 09:26 AM
The announcement of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn surprised me in that I never saw a complete redesign coming. That was just... completely unexpected. I knew they weren't happy with it but this was unprecedented.

Most games out there I hear a large amount about before I play the game so it's hard to get surprised by anything at that point. I suppose you can get surprised by things that happen in the game.

Bolivar
02-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Going off of the thread in the Square-Enix subforum, Legacy of Kain: Defiance really surprised me at the time. Great game.

Oblivion surprised me not just that I liked it, but actually liked it a whole lot and got sucked into the world. I've kinda been playing WRPGs begrudgingly to see what all the fuss is about and had a bad experience with Dragon Age, but the dungeon delving was kinda cool, decent enough to hold my interest, until I almost became obsessed with the game. I've gone back to check out the Shivering Isles and I'm currently pushing 100 Steam hours on my playthrough.

Motorstorm was a game I got with my PS3 and I just looked at it as a throwaway, but one day the gameplay system really clicked with me and I'm a big fan of the series now.

I was not a big fan of Final Fantasy XII after beating it, but subsequent playthroughs turned it into one of my favorite games of all time. And I don't think any game is supposed to do that.

Tactics Ogre surprised me to the extent that you know a game's probably going to be good, but you still harbor that remote possibility that you could be disappointed. But in the end it fulfilled all my expectations and then some, totally putting me back into that glory days mindset of the Ivalice games.

Agent Proto
02-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney surprised me the most, actually. When I first bought the game, I really didn't know what to expect. I saw that it looked fun based what I saw on the gamebox, and it kinda blew me away. I spent hours playing the game because it was fun and addicting. :3

maybee
02-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Final Fantasy VII

Aeris died.

Never ever saw it coming. not in a million years.

And the Internet never gave anything away either.

Del Murder
02-20-2013, 02:14 AM
Borderlands
Yeah, that's one for me too. Didn't expect to enjoy a fps that much.

Xenoblade surpised me as being so epic and possibly one of the best RPGs I ever played.

black orb
02-21-2013, 05:52 AM
>>> Most of the "Tales of" games, I never expect anything from them and later I end up loving them..:luca: